The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Okay guys, I've made a facebook group! It's called 'Nottingham Geeks'! If you find it, and request membership and leave your TSR Username I'll make sure to add you in :biggrin: Look forward to seeing you all in there!

Wheee :woo:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
geoff_yin
On Wednesdays at Isis, the place isn't a strip-club. Just a normal club.

Also, I think the Business Booze Cruise might have teamed up with the Economics Booze Cruise this year. I went to the Economics one last year - it was actually really good - but only because of the open bar :colonhash:. So I don't think you'll have a great time if you don't drink. The ticket should also include entry to Oceana at the end IIRC.

It was absolutely amazing, I met a great group of people but we were all so drunk we couldn't walk at the end, which isn't like me at all, and I currently feel like I never want to see a pint ever again lol

However, I lived to tell the tale (just) and we got through about £35 worth of drinks each so a good investment! :rolleyes:
Reply 62
Hmm, I requested to join the Facebook group (I hope it's the right one... lol).
I'm Lucy ^_^
Wasn't sure where to leave my TSR username... lol
Reply 63
Okay it's cool, never mind about leaving your TSR names xD; *Adds you in*
Christian_j
It was absolutely amazing, I met a great group of people but we were all so drunk we couldn't walk at the end, which isn't like me at all, and I currently feel like I never want to see a pint ever again lol

However, I lived to tell the tale (just) and we got through about £35 worth of drinks each so a good investment! :rolleyes:

Wow. Well done. :eek:
I do enjoy regaling people with my tales of derring-do :smile:
Reply 66
Adam-san
Omg. What songs/anime/manga do you like!? I hope you've seen Full Metal Alchemist *dies* That anime is the BEST but so sad T_T, and as for bands, I'm into Dir en Grey (Omg I saw them live in London last year), Gazette, Miyavi, X-Japan, Antique Cafe, Psycho le Cemu, Malice Mizer (a bit) and probably some others I've forgotten xD; I also like Korean and Chinese music a bit, but I don't know a lot about that. OMG YOU'RE CHINESE... I WILL BE GLOMPING YOU. OMG. >_>;

Omg, perhaps not 'whizz' lmao, but I'm a language fanatic. Omg. Just about every language? No, really. I did French A-level, and an Advanced Extension Award in it .. So I'm okay at French. I also love Japanese. And language on my 'to-do' list, which I enjoy reading about but am not seriously learning at the mo include: German, Mandarin (你好吗?我叫Adam,你叫什么?你是中国人吗?), Polish (Don't ask), Korean, Latin, Greek (Only because a friend is interested in it.. Plus the roots in English are interesting).. Yeah I think that's it xD;

Yay, geeky gathering! =D I'll be there, and square.

Wow, your department sounds like the place to be at =D :woo:

I've just requested to join the Nottingham Geeks group too! :biggrin: Name's Iris.

Btw, what does "glomping" mean...?:confused: Hehehe lol you sound so astonished that I'm Chinese.

Full Metal Alchemist? - No, not heard of it actually. What's it about? If you have it, I won't object to watching it!

Lol I'm afraid everything I know is from my childhood - I'm still a fan of Miyazaki but I really don't know what's happened to his ideas that his latest one is about some random goldfish.....:shifty: Joe Hisaishi - the composer for all the Miyazaki movies - is an absolute genius. Listen to this - one of my favourites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiSSYTZmoKg (for the movie Mononoke Hime aka Princess Mononoke)

Not heard of those bands - seeing as you named X Japan, I'm gonna assume you like metal/rock! - I have actually heard a few of their songs - their lyrics are truly... strange. I think the only long-standing song of theirs that I've heard and liked is "Forever Love". Nah the stuff I have I tend to gather off of other people, so I don't tend to know where it's from. It tends to be soundtracks from anime, say I have a song from Gundam Seed for example, and Evangelian's theme song. I have a couple more but no idea what they're called or by whom lol.

Hehe you do sound like a language fanatic! - I like that though. I'm always impressed by someone who's good at or speaks another language. I find it enriches you so much and broadens your horizon. My computer's refusing to read the last word within the phrase "Hello" that you wrote in Chinese, so I can only assume it's the word pronounced "ma" :biggrin: I'm from Hong-Kong, so I wouldn't say I'm 中国人 though I know I technically am :biggrin: I only use the term Chinese when I'm speaking English really! Name's Ka-Yan, if you wanted to know, seeing as you asked :biggrin: (yes I know I said my name's Iris previously - it is. I have two names lol)

So, do you actually speak/read/write Chinese then? :eek: That's well impressive! I shall have to convert you over to Cantonese though :yep:

As for Manga - I mostly like the girly ones lol. I don't actually read it these days - I know too little about it and there's not a single good manga shop nearby where I can just browse through the books. I have a funny thing about reading them in English though - I'm just so used to reading Chinese or working out the Kanji in Japanese that reading English in Manga almost feels wrong lol. There's one called "End of Century Angel" that's quite old now and I still haven't got hold of the 4th and final book in the series T_T Anyway, the classic of Japanese cartoon/manga MUST simply be Doraemon!!!! :biggrin::yep: I hope you've heard of Doraemon! :biggrin:

Wow I've written waaay too much...
Reply 67
khil
I've just requested to join the Nottingham Geeks group too! :biggrin: Name's Iris.

Btw, what does "glomping" mean...?:confused: Hehehe lol you sound so astonished that I'm Chinese.

Full Metal Alchemist? - No, not heard of it actually. What's it about? If you have it, I won't object to watching it!

Lol I'm afraid everything I know is from my childhood - I'm still a fan of Miyazaki but I really don't know what's happened to his ideas that his latest one is about some random goldfish.....:shifty: Joe Hisaishi - the composer for all the Miyazaki movies - is an absolute genius. Listen to this - one of my favourites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiSSYTZmoKg (for the movie Mononoke Hime aka Princess Mononoke)

Not heard of those bands - seeing as you named X Japan, I'm gonna assume you like metal/rock! - I have actually heard a few of their songs - their lyrics are truly... strange. I think the only long-standing song of theirs that I've heard and liked is "Forever Love". Nah the stuff I have I tend to gather off of other people, so I don't tend to know where it's from. It tends to be soundtracks from anime, say I have a song from Gundam Seed for example, and Evangelian's theme song. I have a couple more but no idea what they're called or by whom lol.

Hehe you do sound like a language fanatic! - I like that though. I'm always impressed by someone who's good at or speaks another language. I find it enriches you so much and broadens your horizon. My computer's refusing to read the last word within the phrase "Hello" that you wrote in Chinese, so I can only assume it's the word pronounced "ma" :biggrin: I'm from Hong-Kong, so I wouldn't say I'm 中国人 though I know I technically am :biggrin: I only use the term Chinese when I'm speaking English really! Name's Ka-Yan, if you wanted to know, seeing as you asked :biggrin: (yes I know I said my name's Iris previously - it is. I have two names lol)

So, do you actually speak/read/write Chinese then? :eek: That's well impressive! I shall have to convert you over to Cantonese though :yep:

As for Manga - I mostly like the girly ones lol. I don't actually read it these days - I know too little about it and there's not a single good manga shop nearby where I can just browse through the books. I have a funny thing about reading them in English though - I'm just so used to reading Chinese or working out the Kanji in Japanese that reading English in Manga almost feels wrong lol. There's one called "End of Century Angel" that's quite old now and I still haven't got hold of the 4th and final book in the series T_T Anyway, the classic of Japanese cartoon/manga MUST simply be Doraemon!!!! :biggrin::yep: I hope you've heard of Doraemon! :biggrin:

Wow I've written waaay too much...

Mega long quote ftw :cool:

Glomping..:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=glomping Although it's more of a fanboy/girling over someone xD; But whatever

Ah, Full Metal Alchemist. Well, it's about 50 episodes long and is about two young alchemist, Edward and Alphonse Elric.. I don't want to say too much incase I give some major plot details away.. But it's just following them on their journey to find out more about their dad, after they have a horrific alchemical accident. Ed tries hard to become State Alchemist and stuff.. And then they discover the dark secrets that alchemy really holds... It's really interesting and so engrossing. Do I have it? Nah, I used to watch it on youtube before it got licensed :shifty: So then I had to find it on a website somewhere *cough*

Miyazaki.. I recognise that name...Ah, yes! Of course! He did Spirited Away :biggrin: I love that film, Chihiro is so damn cute and Yubaba is just so funny, I think. Great film. Yeah I've heard of Mononoke Hime, but I've never seen it :x *Listens to music clip* Wow, that music is hauntingly beautiful. Thanks xD;

Oh right okay xD; I think I know Forever Love... One of my favourite is Silent Jealousy by them :smile: You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHbHxSEtVQ I used to have a private Japanese tutor, and she loved X-Japan.. She said she went to a concert once and she actually got to TALK and have a conversation with hide! Poor hide... So sad. Yeah, I'm quite into rock-y things but I also quite like Antique Cafe, which are more bouncy pop kind of things.. If you can be bothered, here's an example of An Cafe's song 'Tekesuta Kousen': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=islIHEI__B4 xD; Sorry I'm bombarding you with vids.

Yeah, that's the great thing about languages. It really does help you understand someone else's point of view. I could never go through my life only knowing English >.<; I would just feel.. So constricted. I love being able to express myself in different languages.. So liberating. Yeah the whole thing should read (in Pinyin): Ni3 hao3 ma? Wo3 jiao4 Adam, ni3 jiao2 shen(Forgot this tone) me (and again)? Ni3 shi2 zhong1 guo2 ren2 ma? I think that's right... I really hate to use Pinyin, just like I hate to use romaji for Japanese.. It's so deconstructive -.-;

No no no! I've just been reading some books and have picked up some basic grammar/sentences/nouns etc... The &#27721;&#23383; (Hanzi) are quite easy because I'm already familiar with a lot of them from Japanese. And you speak Cantonese! Oh, I actually know very little about Cantonese xD; I'm more of a Mandarin man. Can you understand Mandarin? Yeah, I met a girl who said she was called Holly but she actually had a chinese name that I forget >_>; So it's cool. Hi Ka-Yan.

Actually I don't read a lot of Manga, but the little I have read, I know what you mean! About reading it in English.. I prefer to slowly read it in Japanese than to whizz through it in English.. It just doesn't feel right >.<; Oh! There's a shop called Forbidden Planet in Nottingham which sells Manga and video games and comics :biggrin: I have one where I come from so when I saw it I had to go in xD;

Of course I've heard of Doraemon! Doesn't mean I've read it though >_>; Is it actually good or is it just the hype?

Yeah, so have I... >_>; ^^; *Wanders off*
Reply 68
Adam-san
Mega long quote ftw :cool:

Glomping..:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=glomping Although it's more of a fanboy/girling over someone xD; But whatever

Ah, Full Metal Alchemist. Well, it's about 50 episodes long and is about two young alchemist, Edward and Alphonse Elric.. I don't want to say too much incase I give some major plot details away.. But it's just following them on their journey to find out more about their dad, after they have a horrific alchemical accident. Ed tries hard to become State Alchemist and stuff.. And then they discover the dark secrets that alchemy really holds... It's really interesting and so engrossing. Do I have it? Nah, I used to watch it on youtube before it got licensed :shifty: So then I had to find it on a website somewhere *cough*

Miyazaki.. I recognise that name...Ah, yes! Of course! He did Spirited Away :biggrin: I love that film, Chihiro is so damn cute and Yubaba is just so funny, I think. Great film. Yeah I've heard of Mononoke Hime, but I've never seen it :x *Listens to music clip* Wow, that music is hauntingly beautiful. Thanks xD;

Oh right okay xD; I think I know Forever Love... One of my favourite is Silent Jealousy by them :smile: You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHbHxSEtVQ I used to have a private Japanese tutor, and she loved X-Japan.. She said she went to a concert once and she actually got to TALK and have a conversation with hide! Poor hide... So sad. Yeah, I'm quite into rock-y things but I also quite like Antique Cafe, which are more bouncy pop kind of things.. If you can be bothered, here's an example of An Cafe's song 'Tekesuta Kousen': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=islIHEI__B4 xD; Sorry I'm bombarding you with vids.

Yeah, that's the great thing about languages. It really does help you understand someone else's point of view. I could never go through my life only knowing English >.<; I would just feel.. So constricted. I love being able to express myself in different languages.. So liberating. Yeah the whole thing should read (in Pinyin): Ni3 hao3 ma? Wo3 jiao4 Adam, ni3 jiao2 shen(Forgot this tone) me (and again)? Ni3 shi2 zhong1 guo2 ren2 ma? I think that's right... I really hate to use Pinyin, just like I hate to use romaji for Japanese.. It's so deconstructive -.-;

No no no! I've just been reading some books and have picked up some basic grammar/sentences/nouns etc... The &#27721;&#23383; (Hanzi) are quite easy because I'm already familiar with a lot of them from Japanese. And you speak Cantonese! Oh, I actually know very little about Cantonese xD; I'm more of a Mandarin man. Can you understand Mandarin? Yeah, I met a girl who said she was called Holly but she actually had a chinese name that I forget >_>; So it's cool. Hi Ka-Yan.

Actually I don't read a lot of Manga, but the little I have read, I know what you mean! About reading it in English.. I prefer to slowly read it in Japanese than to whizz through it in English.. It just doesn't feel right >.<; Oh! There's a shop called Forbidden Planet in Nottingham which sells Manga and video games and comics :biggrin: I have one where I come from so when I saw it I had to go in xD;

Of course I've heard of Doraemon! Doesn't mean I've read it though >_>; Is it actually good or is it just the hype?

Yeah, so have I... >_>; ^^; *Wanders off*

Hahaha glomping! - I read the definition, it's so cute! Well, I love hugs, so all is well :biggrin:

Hehe yeh there're always other sites with episodes on - especially if it's Japanese, it's bound to be in the Chinese market for one, which means there're bound to be downloads for it lol. I've heard of Forbidden Planet actually - not really been in. I guess I lack the patience of browsing through book after book these days, and with manga it matters a lot to me that I should like the art too, as I can't stand bad art.

Ahh Silent Jealousy - yeh I've heard that song before - love the piano bit at the very beginning! - but the rest of it isn't quite my style of music I'm afraid! There's only really one or two rock/metal bands that I actually like - it's not within the main category of music that I listen to usually. I like Linkin' Park and Rammstein :biggrin: Rammstein's lyrics are freaky but according to a German friend of mine their lyrics are written very poetically. Gotta love language - I love the written word. Do you listen to either of those bands?

Btw I gather Hide is the lead singer of X Japan? My friend suspects X Japan may have copied Iron Maiden as the music is apparently really similar.

Haha nah I'm not around Chinese often enough to have picked up Mandarin. In short, no I don't understand Mandarin :no: Lol I understood what you wrote, don't worry - I can't read pingying cus I was never taught it. Pingying isn't exactly common in Cantonese in any case, but I know it does exist. I can only read actual Chinese characters lol - I can read basics when it comes to simplified, but I was actually taught traditional Chinese :smile: so that's the one I'm most familiar with. My Chinese has become so poor though, I'm gonna have to brush it up at some point again... :shifty: I can't read Chinese news, but I can read a Chinese magazine lol - so you see, my level isn't exactly poor, but it's not excellent.

So you speak Japanese fairly fluently then? And French. What else do you speak? So what do you actually study at uni? :smile: You're quite rare amongst the British types lol with knowing more than just English :biggrin: I can hardly talk cus the only reason why I'm bilingual is cus I was brought up with both :biggrin: so it's more of a cheat really lol. Btw I agree with you about romaji - I don't understand a thing when I read romaji, but I recognise the Japanese characters far faster if you just wrote me the actual Japanese. I've long forgotten the set of Japanese alphabet for foreign words though - what's it called again? I always get katakana and hiragana mixed up; can never remember which is which. I don't know a word of Japanese - just the alphabet and a few odd words thanks to reading Japanese Manga :biggrin: Cus I read Chinese, you can work out the story in comic books even if you don't read Japanese :yep:

Oooh Doraemon - it's fantastic! :biggrin: It's my ultimate favourite childhood cartoon! Between me and my sister, we have all 44 volumes of the Doraemon short stories, and all but one of the "epics" (vol. 2-14), and have several on video :biggrin: Unfortunately since the author died, all the rights in HK were sold and they changed all the dubbing and names :frown: it's not the same anymore nowadays and the stories aren't half as good. If you want good quality Doraemon, go for the old ones. It's so creative - thinking back, it's basically what every child dreams of. Eg, the door that takes you to whatever destination you ask it to immediately, the helicopter blades hat that lets you fly, the time machine so they can have adventures in the dinosaur age :biggrin: I realise now that it's more geared towards boys (for the adventures) but for a lot of it, it's just universal and perfect for childhood. Or the cloth that just creates food, you need only shout out the dish you want. There was an epic adventure in "the Kingdom of Clouds" lol - and I remember as a child when I watched Disney's Aladdin and I saw Jasmine take in her arms a lump of fluffy cloud, I wondered "What does cloud feel like?" I'd always wanted to touch cloud lol. On some level I think Doraemon fulfills all the fantasies a child would have. I don't know how funny it is for adults, but since I look back nostalgically on it, I love everything that is Doraemon :biggrin: (Wow how LONG is this paragraph!?)

PS. Oh and Mononoke Hime is ok - better watch Nausicca: Valley of the Wind I think. Nausicca is a lot older but the themes are exactly the same as Mononoke. English people tend to prefer Mononoke and Miyazaki's later stuff rather than older though - my guess is that Mononoke, for example (and Spirited Away too) is distinctly supernatural, and there're distinct elements within them that are culturally Japanese, and while English people don't understand it, they appreciate it as a different culture. Whereas Miyazaki's older stuff is more on the genre of magical realism - none of it is distinctly Japanese or supernatural, but it's just set in a different world - a realistic world that involves supernatural elements - and it's not a genre the average westerner is familiar with, and thus can appear strange. It's just my theory anyway. Miyazaki's older stuff is a lot plainer/simpler but I do prefer it to the new stuff.

(now it's my go to wander off...:shifty: Perhaps PM-ing is in order?)
Reply 69

Sorry to butt in on your conversation but aaah, I love Nausicaa ^_^
Not sure why people seem to prefer Mononoke... It's good, but probably one of my least favourite Miyazaki films (of which I've seen very few, lol) could be for the reasons you said, though.

I would love to learn lots and lots of languages, but I'm terrible at them -_- I'm not very good with pronunciation.. I have a hard time pronouncing things in English, and I'd feel bad messing up other languages as well, lol. I love the sounds of different languages though.
Reply 70
khil
(now it's my go to wander off...:shifty: Perhaps PM-ing is in order?)

Yeah good idea xD; I'll send you a PM in a bit :smile:

Loosy
Not sure why people seem to prefer Mononoke... It's good, but probably one of my least favourite Miyazaki films (of which I've seen very few, lol) could be for the reasons you said, though.

I would love to learn lots and lots of languages, but I'm terrible at them -_- I'm not very good with pronunciation.. I have a hard time pronouncing things in English, and I'd feel bad messing up other languages as well, lol. I love the sounds of different languages though.

It's fine xD; I've never actually heard of Nausica ._.; Have you seen Spirited Away?

As for learning languages, there are many different methods out there... And a lot of people, I think, are deluded as to the best ways. And as for pronunciation - That comes with time! I used to be piss-poor at French pronunciation, now I get compliments quite a bit xD; So it's true: Practice makes perfect! Besides, what have you got to lose? :biggrin:
Reply 71
Loosy

Yeh I don't get why people prefer Mononoke! With Naussica, I think the way they fitted the prophecy in was actually quite clever, even though it seems plain obvious now lol. (best not to say what the ending actually is as Adam will hopefully watch it some time lol!) Nausicaa is brilliant though - and the music! - The music is so gorgeous. I think Miyazaki's losing it a bit really, but Hisaishi is still as good as ever :yep: Have you seen the one his son's directed? - Earthsea - it's a little strange but again, the music and the art is gorgeous; apparently the art was hand-drawn, and in some of the landscapes it looks like a watercolour, like a proper painting. You simply don't get that nowadays - it's breath-taking. I draw and paint myself so aesthetics matter a fair bit to me lol!

Earthsea song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1RehRyGH4&feature=PlayList&p=B29F9A33FE21348E&index=17

Another Earthsea song, but here you really see the landscape - the film was average but seriously, the art and music's enough to make me love it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDmSTMftweU

And Adam, here's a piece from Naussica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8O3X2qwWzI

Yeh I agree with Adam - practice makes perfect really. You might well get to a stage where it's as good as you'll get (like my dad will always have a heavy Chinese accent), but you can only do your best and if it's your best, then be happy with it :smile: It's better to try than to never try at all. There's a Chinese saying - I love it - it says: "The successes of all the centuries come from trying." (or thereabouts, the meaning's the same!) Never stop trying - it takes so much courage just to try, and I think the effort in trying isn't appreciated enough.

PS. I agree with you - I love the different sounds of languages. I love listening to songs in different languages - it bores me if I stick with one language for too long lol.
Reply 72

I've seen Spirited Away, yup. I love it probably on the same level as Mononoke. It's a not-quite-favourite, heh. Another favourite is Howl's Moving Castle. I used to love Dianna Wynne Jones when I was a kid. It's nostalgic ^_^

I loved all the landscapes in Nausicaa, and the sort of futuristicness of it. I'm quite the sci fi geek so that probably has something to do with it. The music is beautiful indeed :smile:
I haven't managed to see Earthsea yet but I really want to - again, it's adapted from books I was really into when I was little, lol.

Hehe, aaah that's part of reason I love Sigur Ros. One of their albums was sung entirely (I think...) in a made up "language" that isn't quite a language, so every song sounds so different and awesome.
Badly described, but they're an amazing band.
I think this thread has stepped into unprecedented realms of geekiness :biggrin:

Awesome
Reply 74
Adam-san
Yeah good idea xD; I'll send you a PM in a bit :smile:

It's fine xD; I've never actually heard of Nausica ._.; Have you seen Spirited Away?

As for learning languages, there are many different methods out there... And a lot of people, I think, are deluded as to the best ways. And as for pronunciation - That comes with time! I used to be piss-poor at French pronunciation, now I get compliments quite a bit xD; So it's true: Practice makes perfect! Besides, what have you got to lose? :biggrin:

Mwahahahahaha Adam, it's me, Dom.

I liked Nausicaa, but I'm not really into anime. To be honest the only thing that makes me geeky is the amount of time I spend on the internet, I don't even play games anymore and most of my internet time is spent socialising. I couldn't really talk about calculators for long and like clubbing if I enjoy the company of the people I'm with, but I don't drink much (I think it's a waste of money) and and generally have a better time with "you people". :p:
Reply 75
DominF
Mwahahahahaha Adam, it's me, Dom.

I liked Nausicaa, but I'm not really into anime. To be honest the only thing that makes me geeky is the amount of time I spend on the internet, I don't even play games anymore and most of my internet time is spent socialising. I couldn't really talk about calculators for long and like clubbing if I enjoy the company of the people I'm with, but I don't drink much (I think it's a waste of money) and and generally have a better time with "you people". :p:

As soon as I saw the subscription update had a last poster called 'DominF', I knew it was you. :p:

Here geek just generally means anyone who doesn't enjoy getting sloshed every night to tune of Basshunter whilst wearing a toga, dancing with sweaty strangers.

So welcome, welcome.
Reply 76
Loosy
Hehe, aaah that's part of reason I love Sigur Ros. One of their albums was sung entirely (I think...) in a made up "language" that isn't quite a language, so every song sounds so different and awesome.
Badly described, but they're an amazing band.

Oooh, made up languages! Or as us linguists call 'conlangs'. They're really quite interesting... And yes of course there is a difference between conlangs and natural languages, natural languages were of course artificial at one point but underwent 'creolisation' and then became what they are now.

Are you actually interested in conlangs? I've read into a few, Martin and I are 'familiar' (=have read a little bit about) a conlang called Lojban, and I have also read about Esperanto (I'm actually doing an online e-mail course in this right now), Interlingua (Looks boring if I'm honest) and um, what's it called, that other one.. Ithkuil or something off the top of my head. That looks ridiculously complicated but very efficient. Then of course there's Klingon, but perhaps that's a little too geeky now, ne?
Adam-san
Oooh, made up languages! Or as us linguists call 'conlangs'. They're really quite interesting... And yes of course there is a difference between conlangs and natural languages, natural languages were of course artificial at one point but underwent 'creolisation' and then became what they are now.

Are you actually interested in conlangs? I've read into a few, Martin and I are 'familiar' (=have read a little bit about) a conlang called Lojban, and I have also read about Esperanto (I'm actually doing an online e-mail course in this right now), Interlingua (Looks boring if I'm honest) and um, what's it called, that other one.. Ithkuil or something off the top of my head. That looks ridiculously complicated but very efficient. Then of course there's Klingon, but perhaps that's a little too geeky now, ne?

How can anything be too geeky? And I love Sigur Ros too!

Do computer programming languages count as languages? If so I am officially multilingual!
Reply 78
martin-jesusfreak
How can anything be too geeky? And I love Sigur Ros too!

Do computer programming languages count as languages? If so I am officially multilingual!

:p:

No, they don't. I'd like to see you have a real life, fluid conversation, complete with full coverage of all tenses, moods and aspects, with idioms included :p:
But surely in our world the way we communicate with technology is becoming more important and you aren't arrogant enough to expect computers to learn English are you? echo(date("l-j-y - h:i:s"); is just as good as "Tell me the date and time please"
programming languages have little need for tense. The present is where things are actually happening after all. Maybe readfile("yesterday.log"); would be considered past tense though?
I challenge you to find me a human language where patterns can be defined as elegantly and efficiently as regular expressions :P

Latest

Trending

Trending