The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
System.out.println("You can say pretty much anything you want, anyway. What's the big issue?");
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 81
martin-jesusfreak
But surely in our world the way we communicate with technology is becoming more important and you aren't arrogant enough to expect computers to learn English are you? echo(date("l-j-y - h:i:s"); is just as good as "Tell me the date and time please"
programming languages have little need for tense. The present is where things are actually happening after all. Maybe readfile("yesterday.log"); would be considered past tense though?
I challenge you to find me a human language where patterns can be defined as elegantly and efficiently as regular expressions :P

Maybe not English but they could learn something like Esperanto. That's pretty elegant and regular, actually. >_>; Besides, because of creolisation, I could suggest Ithkuil or Lojban as human languages that are elegant and regular too :biggrin:

Well without tenses, it's not a functioning human language :woo: Which was the point in the first place.

You stay talking to your PC and I'll go to Japan and speak with Miku lookalikes :yep: *cough*

And having some kind of code so you can just output English, or another actual language doesn't count :P
Reply 82

Yeah I am pretty interested in conlangs actually. I've looked into Esperanto, Interlingua and Ido before. Haven't gotten round to learning any before, but I'd quite like to.

As for programming languages.. I'm not sure. You could probably have some sort of conversation with them, but not really out loud.. lol. Debatable.
I do French.
Loosy
Yeah I am pretty interested in conlangs actually. I've looked into Esperanto, Interlingua and Ido before. Haven't gotten round to learning any before, but I'd quite like to.

As for programming languages.. I'm not sure. You could probably have some sort of conversation with them, but not really out loud.. lol. Debatable.
What do you mean you can't converse out loud in programming languages? It's great fun

conversation.fun=true
while NOT conversation.eof
conversation.execute(strGeek)
wend
conversation.disconnect

:yep:
Je ne comprends pas
J'aime le chocolat.
Reply 87
Christian_j
J'aime le chocolat.

Ouais, je l'aime aussi. Mais, qui l'aime pas? Moi j'ai étudié le français, et en plus j'en ai passé un examen AEA.

J'aime bien la langue française, mais à cause d'une pénurie d'occasions pour la pratiquer, je crains que mes abilités pourrissent.

And I stop now.
Reply 88

^ I actually got most of that, I feel quite proud :smile: (not sure what pourrissent is, though -_-) I studied French for a little while at school, and I've read some books in French (not for a long while, though). I can read it better than I can speak/listen anyway, lol.
Reply 89
Loosy
^ I actually got most of that, I feel quite proud :smile: (not sure what pourrissent is, though -_-) I studied French for a little while at school, and I've read some books in French (not for a long while, though). I can read it better than I can speak/listen anyway, lol.

Yeah I've read a few books in French, too. It's very easy to read I find. And very enjoyable, too once you get into it.

Oh, and pourrissent is the subjunctive third person plural form of pourrir (= to rot/detoriate). Like 'pot pourri', you know that thing with all those dried (rotten?) leaves and things :smile: Pourri is the past participle of the verb.
Adam-san
Ouais, je l'aime aussi. Mais, qui l'aime pas? Moi j'ai étudié le français, et en plus j'en ai passé un examen AEA.

J'aime bien la langue française, mais à cause d'une pénurie d'occasions pour la pratiquer, je crains que mes abilités pourrissent.

And I stop now.

Je suis d'accord.
Reply 91
Loosy
I've seen Spirited Away, yup. I love it probably on the same level as Mononoke. It's a not-quite-favourite, heh. Another favourite is Howl's Moving Castle. I used to love Dianna Wynne Jones when I was a kid. It's nostalgic ^_^

I loved all the landscapes in Nausicaa, and the sort of futuristicness of it. I'm quite the sci fi geek so that probably has something to do with it. The music is beautiful indeed :smile:
I haven't managed to see Earthsea yet but I really want to - again, it's adapted from books I was really into when I was little, lol.

Hehe, aaah that's part of reason I love Sigur Ros. One of their albums was sung entirely (I think...) in a made up "language" that isn't quite a language, so every song sounds so different and awesome.
Badly described, but they're an amazing band.

Ahh Spirited Away - I'm not sure about Miyazaki's new stuff to be honest. It seems that I'd dislike it the first time, then I watch it a second time and I end up actually quite liking it. That's happened to Spirited Away and Earthsea. I like Mononoke straight away, but not a favourite - but oh my goodness the theme tune for Mononoke has to be my absolute favourite - and I've yet to see Howl's for a 2nd time :smile: Has anyone heard of his new film about Ponyo or whatever yet? It's about this goldfish - I read the synopsis on Wiki and it sounds a little too much like Little Mermaid... :shifty: But anything Miyazaki I'll always give it a try!

Made up language? - I've not heard of Sigur Ros. I do know that Cirque Soleil sings in a made-up language, it's kinda cool! :yep: Isn't the classic Amedeus sung in a made-up type of sequence? (or am I being highly ignorant and someone's gonna turn around and tell me it's all Latin or something?)
Reply 92
khil
Ahh Spirited Away - I'm not sure about Miyazaki's new stuff to be honest. It seems that I'd dislike it the first time, then I watch it a second time and I end up actually quite liking it. That's happened to Spirited Away and Earthsea. I like Mononoke straight away, but not a favourite - but oh my goodness the theme tune for Mononoke has to be my absolute favourite - and I've yet to see Howl's for a 2nd time :smile: Has anyone heard of his new film about Ponyo or whatever yet? It's about this goldfish - I read the synopsis on Wiki and it sounds a little too much like Little Mermaid... :shifty: But anything Miyazaki I'll always give it a try!

Made up language? - I've not heard of Sigur Ros. I do know that Cirque Soleil sings in a made-up language, it's kinda cool! :yep: Isn't the classic Amedeus sung in a made-up type of sequence? (or am I being highly ignorant and someone's gonna turn around and tell me it's all Latin or something?)

Yes I've heard of the goldfish thing, but I know nothing more about it xD;

I'm afraid I've never heard of 'Amedeus' so I can't say :x
Reply 93

Ohh, Cirque du Soleil! I love them ^_^ Only seen one of their shows, though... It was amazing, I really want to see more.
I've heard of the goldfish one, I believe. It sounds quite strange.. Does sound a little like the little mermaid... probably less violent though, lol.

Not sure about Amadeus.. Do you mean the play?
Reply 94
Loosy
Ohh, Cirque du Soleil! I love them ^_^ Only seen one of their shows, though... It was amazing, I really want to see more.
I've heard of the goldfish one, I believe. It sounds quite strange.. Does sound a little like the little mermaid... probably less violent though, lol.

Not sure about Amadeus.. Do you mean the play?

Hehehe oops I'd misspelt the song name - well, in fact, I'd mis-remembered it really :yep: :shifty: I meant Adiemus :biggrin:

*goes back to preparing for stupid presentation...* It's tomorrow and I don't even know what the painting I'm speaking on looks like! :frown: *procrastinates*
Reply 95
khil
Hehehe oops I'd misspelt the song name - well, in fact, I'd mis-remembered it really :yep: :shifty: I meant Adiemus :biggrin:

*goes back to preparing for stupid presentation...* It's tomorrow and I don't even know what the painting I'm speaking on looks like! :frown: *procrastinates*

Ah I know that song! I'm pretty sure they've made the sounds up - It sure isn't Latin!

You haven't posted in the facebook group, so incase you haven't read it - We're having a meet on Friday!
Reply 96
khil

Aaah, I have a presentation at 9 and I don't know what I'm saying yes, lol.
I'm very good at procrastinating... And I don't like presentations :frown:
Reply 97
Just an update:

To anyone that hasn't seen - A group meet is organised for tomorrow! See the facebook group for details!
Reply 98
Adam-san
Just an update:

To anyone that hasn't seen - A group meet is organised for tomorrow! See the facebook group for details!

Hey, have checked Facebook! - details sound good - it's actually most convenient for me lol cus that's closest to my bus stop! Will be there!

So how would we recognise who each other are then?
Reply 99
khil
Hey, have checked Facebook! - details sound good - it's actually most convenient for me lol cus that's closest to my bus stop! Will be there!

So how would we recognise who each other are then?

Facebook pictures ;D

That or you could note my appearance. I'm medium height, brown hair, glasses and will be wearing a black t-shirt that says TOKYO and a blue jacket, most likely :cool:

See you tomorrow! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending