Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

They are good at elite sports:smile:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Whats the workload for mech eng like? How many hours a week do you spend studying on your own?
Reply 3
Yea, I'd like to know that as well :tongue:
Reply 4
Most of the Engineering courses are based around Lectures/Labs. There is work to be done on your own, but it is mainly recap/revision type stuff. You can typically have somewhere between 12-25 hours of lectures a week (depending on subject and year). They are an extremely good Engineering University, and have very good prospects at the end of the course.

I, personally, am doing Systems Engineering, but many of the engineering courses follow the same kind of structure with regards to lecture time:redface:wn time studying.
Reply 5
BibbleJW
Most of the Engineering courses are based around Lectures/Labs. There is work to be done on your own, but it is mainly recap/revision type stuff. You can typically have somewhere between 12-25 hours of lectures a week (depending on subject and year). They are an extremely good Engineering University, and have very good prospects at the end of the course.

I, personally, am doing Systems Engineering, but many of the engineering courses follow the same kind of structure with regards to lecture time:redface:wn time studying.

Good to know.
On average how much do you study outside of lectures/labs per day?
Reply 6
Evan_K
Good to know.
On average how much do you study outside of lectures/labs per day?

Ah, you see, mine's not a good example to follow. I did barely any study outside of scheduled time and barely scraped through on quite a few of my exams (to be fair, I didn't even turn up to a few of the scheduled lectures either).

I would think that about 2:1 for sheduled:redface:wn time would see you through the first year. Obviously, this would change slightly with coursework deadlines and exams, and would need to improve the higher up you went.
Reply 7
BibbleJW
Ah, you see, mine's not a good example to follow. I did barely any study outside of scheduled time and barely scraped through on quite a few of my exams (to be fair, I didn't even turn up to a few of the scheduled lectures either).

I would think that about 2:1 for sheduled:redface:wn time would see you through the first year. Obviously, this would change slightly with coursework deadlines and exams, and would need to improve the higher up you went.

Okay cool, thanks very much for the info.
Reply 8
Thank you!
Reply 9
Jumping in a shade late here, but I've just come out of second year mech eng into placement (hence why I haven't been trawling TSR in a while). So any course specific questions I'm happy to answer.

Though BibbleJW's done a pretty good job of covering the important stuff :smile:
Memphis
Jumping in a shade late here, but I've just come out of second year mech eng into placement (hence why I haven't been trawling TSR in a while). So any course specific questions I'm happy to answer.

Though BibbleJW's done a pretty good job of covering the important stuff :smile:

Martin is rather rubbish tbh
Reply 11
Nice attempt, but the deal conditions clearly stated that the post be made on, and I quote, 'the general chat thread'.

:biggrin:
Reply 12
How is the lectures and things spread out? Like are they in mornings/afternoons and how early (I am not a morning person :tongue:)

And has anyone done Formula Student at Loughborough? That's something I really want to do but I'm not sure how it would work cos it's extra.
Reply 13
Ok, regarding Fourmula student, I cannot shed any light, as I've never heard it before.

As far as lecture timings go, I'm afraid that Enginereing (as a general subject) has one of the most lecture/tutorial/lab based learning methods, and as there are 5 mornings and 4 afternoons (Wednesday is off for all unis, all subjects), chances are that you will have a few early mornings.

To give you a vague idea, I have 3 9ams, and 2 10ams, but only 21 hours of lectures per week. Some days I go home at 12, some at 6. The timetable is pretty much random, and in my first year, it wasn't the early mornings, but the fact that they placed alternate lectures at opposite sides of the campus that was more annoying!
Reply 14
On Formula Student, you have to put some effort in to get on that as whereas most clubs and societies are at the AU & Soc bazaars, I don't recall ever seeing FS there, although an email came thru from the Wolfson notice board saying that they are currently recruiting. Can't give you much more than that because I've (annoyingly) managed to forget about it at the beginning of both years. Linky right here though.

Onto the lectures and practicals. There are definately more lectures and tutorials than practicals, and they're placed randomly all over the campus and week, have a look here for an example timetable. Keep in mind that most of the Practical sessions there are empty each week, as there is a seperate timetable for those that fits in those slots. On average I'd say you'd have no more than 4-6 hours of practicals a week. Hope that helps!

And yeah, there are definately 9ams to look forward to. :smile:

Martin
Reply 15
9am starts aren't too bad. I'd seen some uni's start at 8! *was scared*

That timetable looks immense! I hadn't really realised how late lectures go on for (but I guess its the same everywhere). And that friday is as full as my Friday today was! Yikes!

I thought Engineering was all in one place?
Reply 16
Lehane
9am starts aren't too bad. I'd seen some uni's start at 8! *was scared*

That timetable looks immense! I hadn't really realised how late lectures go on for (but I guess its the same everywhere). And that friday is as full as my Friday today was! Yikes!

I thought Engineering was all in one place?

All the engineering departments are together, but there aren't always enough lecture theatres in that end of campus because a whole lot of the engineering buildings is taken up with offices and labs, mostly because of the amount of research which is going on. Stewart Miller, for example, has precisely zero lecture theatres so all the aero/auto students have to be lectured outside of their 'home' building.
Reply 17
Ahh, OK then!

I see in your sig that you work at Renault. Do many graduates go into F1 (that's my goal :biggrin:)?
Reply 18
Lehane
Ahh, OK then!

I see in your sig that you work at Renault. Do many graduates go into F1 (that's my goal :biggrin:)?

There are quite a few Lufbra grads working at RF1. (I know of three in race/test engineering, a guy in vehicle performance group, another over in the CFD department...)

I did my final year project at RF1 (Feb-May this year) and have been working on contract since. Of my year group I think three people did their year out at F1 teams (one at RBR and two at Honda), and my housemate is currently doing his placement at RF1 and he's from Lufbra (as was my previous housemate who he took over from).

Don't know what links Mech Eng have with F1 teams though...
Reply 19
Hopefully they'll have good links!

Latest

Trending

Trending