The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 1
1. Don't know. Think not since they encourage you to go with their affiliated company, Endsleigh (unless that's what you mean by Exeter's insurance...).
2. Yes, think so. And despite what everyone else tells you about their skankiness, I always found mine to be perfectly fine (was in uni accommodation for 2 years).
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
tis_me_lord
1. Are laptops covered by Exeters insurance?

2. Are duvets and pillows provided, leaving only the covers to bring. Or do you need to bring the pillow/duvets also?

1.Prob not.

2. I had the covers and everything as well in James Owen Court. Opted for all my own stuff though.
Reply 3
tis_me_lord
1. Are laptops covered by Exeters insurance?

Yes, provided it never leaves your room. The laptop insurance covers the laptop outside your room, i.e. in lectures.
Reply 4
I beleive this year its Endsleigh, Cover 4 Students has been given the boot for some reason. Seems a shame, they were very helpful when I shanked my laptop in my first year.
Reply 5
lmcorr
I beleive this year its Endsleigh, Cover 4 Students has been given the boot for some reason. Seems a shame, they were very helpful when I shanked my laptop in my first year.

I don't think so as I have been sent stuff from them through Exeter...
Reply 6
covers are provided yess but bring your own, they don't exactly take up much space in the car and your own are generally nicer.... i have issues with sleeping on pillows and duvets and covers that have previously been used by people i don't know... who knows what people have been doing in those beds! As for the insurance, i don't know! i just asked my mum and got the response 'i don't think i ever insured you' followed by a guilty look...!
Reply 7
So what do you do when you go to hotels, boho? The uni duvets and things have been steam cleaned in exactly the same way as hotel stuff before you move in, and I'm guessing you don't take your own stuff for the bed when you go on holiday...
Reply 8
halls are different to hotels, you live in halls you don't live in hotels. its personal preference angelil, i don't quite understand why you have such a problem with people choosing to take their own bedding?!
Reply 9
Because it's unnecessary, end of. If the bedding provided by the uni genuinely does need replacing then you have every right to complain and request new ones, but in most cases this is not the case at all and I personally think most people overreact by bringing their own bedding before even seeing what the uni is going to give them.

I also note that you didn't respond to the fact that uni bedding is steam cleaned just as hotel bedding is, so that it should be perfectly hygienic. Have you ever worked for Hospitality Services at Exeter? I have and can confirm that this is the case, so nobody really has any good reason to bring their own bedding.
Reply 10
chill out. remember this is about a duvet cover!! if myself or anyone else wants to take down their own duvet cover, funnily enough, its ok! most people wouldn't even know that bedding is provided so would bring them anyway. i certainly didn't know it was provided but am glad i took my own anyway as regardles of how they are cleaned/whether or not i have ever worked for hospitality services at exeter (!?!?) looking at them, they're thin and often worn... i like my duvet covers soft -i apologise if that offends you...
I'm with boho here - I brought my own duvets and pillows too - they're much nicer. Sure, the ones provided are adequate, but they're not ideal. I prefer my thick feather duvet as opposed to a bog-standard thin duvet. Also, I would imagine a duvet would be treated worse in student halls than in a hotel.

Secondly, covers are also provided, again, they are perfectly adequate but I found having my own bed covers really helps make your room feel more homely. :smile:
What's the big deal with someone bringing their own bedding? It's hardly going to impede upon those who live around you, or blare out Black Sabbath at 3am in the morning whilst everyone else is going to sleep.
The space taken up by such items is minimal, and as stated it makes the place more your own, which it needs to be because you'll be living there for a year which makes it quite a bit different to spending a night in a hotel.
If I'm a snob for taking my own bedding, so what? It's not as if I'm hurting anyone else. It's my own money wasted - as is said, one mans rubbish is another mans treasure.
Reply 13
i always had my own bedding which was big and all snuggly :^_^: my duvet was much more cuddly than the uni one (although i know plenty of people who found the provided duvet and pillows fine for my liking they were way too thin) also taking your own covers gives the room so much more personality :grin:
Reply 14
In the end I decided to use the uni duvet/pillows because to have spare ones of those lying around would take too much space. I did use my own covers though, the uni ones are hiding under the bed so that's no problemo. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending