The Student Room Group

French AEA a year early?

Basically, I know that this year is the last year you can take AEAs and I always wanted to do them, and so am gutted that I can't do it in year 13.

I really like French, and my school offers extra grammar classes for those who want to sit the exam. Anybody who has done the exam, maybe even early could you let me know whether it is viable and whether I'd stand a chance at getting a merit?

I got 350/360 in French GCSE, and wouldn't mind learning extra grammar etc. by myself and I read French books to help.

My school says that I can, but I don't want to put loads of effort into it if it's really difficult for those who haven't done A2.

Thanks
You might as well; what do you have to lose? Just make sure you study well because it's for the top... 10%? I think, of A level candidates.
Reply 2
Hmm. You'd really need to cover the breadth of the A-level course in order to stand a good chance of getting a merit or a distinction. I have heard of people on TSR who have done the AEA a year early and been successful in gaining a merit or a distinction, so I'm not saying it would be impossible, but it would be extremely hard work, especially if the theme of the paper was along the lines of animal experimentation, which is covered in detail in the A2 course.

You have nothing to lose, so if you feel that you can do it in March, then enter yourself for it through your school.:smile: That said though, the reason behind ditching the AEA from 2010 is due to the A* being introduced, so really if you can manage an A* in 2010 then the AEA will be overshadowed methinks.
You might as well go for it. But it is VERY difficult - I mean, I didn't bother, because I knew I'd have 0% chance of passing it, even now - going on to study it at degree level...:p:
Reply 4
pinstriped.flower
Basically, I know that this year is the last year you can take AEAs and I always wanted to do them, and so am gutted that I can't do it in year 13.

I really like French, and my school offers extra grammar classes for those who want to sit the exam. Anybody who has done the exam, maybe even early could you let me know whether it is viable and whether I'd stand a chance at getting a merit?

I got 350/360 in French GCSE, and wouldn't mind learning extra grammar etc. by myself and I read French books to help.

My school says that I can, but I don't want to put loads of effort into it if it's really difficult for those who haven't done A2.

Thanks

Go for it, but also consider that it's very challenging even with extra help! I'd have a look now on the OCR website at past papers and see for yourself whether you think that in 8 months time you'd be able to have a good go at it...or whether it just completely washes over your head. Just to remind you that A-level is a big step up from GCSE in terms of difficulty,: not just grammar, but with new concepts, vocabulary, constructions and register. And again, AEA is a big step up from A-level. A woman I knew who is a lecturer at Cambridge said that she thought the AEA content was quite similar to first year undergraduate course at Cambridge in terms of the tasks you would be set, and the level of understanding required. So try out the extra lessons and doing past papers, and see if you can get the hang of it, and if you can, then go for it! :smile:
Thanks for all the advice, I think I will have a go :smile:

xx

Latest

Trending

Trending