The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I shall be going to the Chelsea open day on November 11th and the Kingston one on Halloween (ooh, spooky!)

Though I think I will still be checking out CSM's open day and possibly Camberwell and Wimbledon too, as it's only one choice on the form and I want to be sure I'm choosing the right one, even though I'm pretty definite it might be Chelsea for me.
Reply 21
Wow, thanks eerriikaa, Pixy and Matisse; reading all your comments is really helping! :smile:

I went to the Camberwell Open Day yesterday and liked both the college and course details; I have a CSM one on November the 6th :smile:

I too recently am -very- nervous about portfolios...at Camberwell yesterday, the man was explaining about research and things leading up to an idea; something I do -most- of the time, but I'm wondering to what extent?

I've recently been compiling a sketch-pad of still-life drawings, but I'm wondering whether to have some crazy experimental fun, too! That Portfolio list looks really helpful! :smile:
Reply 22
Mortiroth
Wow, thanks eerriikaa, Pixy and Matisse; reading all your comments is really helping! :smile:

I went to the Camberwell Open Day yesterday and liked both the college and course details; I have a CSM one on November the 6th :smile:

I too recently am -very- nervous about portfolios...at Camberwell yesterday, the man was explaining about research and things leading up to an idea; something I do -most- of the time, but I'm wondering to what extent?

I've recently been compiling a sketch-pad of still-life drawings, but I'm wondering whether to have some crazy experimental fun, too! That Portfolio list looks really helpful! :smile:

Oh im going on the 6th aswell!
what time is yours?
Reply 23
Wow, excellent hehe!! Mine is the 3-4 slot :smile:
Reply 24
Ohh mines 2-3 slot! (i think LOL!)
Reply 25
Ooooooo!! I might catch you there! ^w^ I'll be the hobo-looking girl dressed in death metal attire! XD

Have an awesome, informative day if I don't though! :smile:
Reply 26
i was wondering - i know you have to book, but considering that they fill up so fast, and that I really want to see hem before I apply, do you think i could just turn up?
Reply 27
-Jade-
i was wondering - i know you have to book, but considering that they fill up so fast, and that I really want to see hem before I apply, do you think i could just turn up?

Possibly. Maybe, maybe not. There's a chance they'll allow you in regardless of whether you booked or not. For instance, my cousin didn't book but managed to attend the open day anyway. This does differ depending on the college and course, though. You could always visit the college and have a naughty wander around yourself if they don't allow you into the Open Day. At the very least you'll see the college for yourself.
Reply 28
Definitely have to book, so many people turned up omg :O
Reply 29
Holy macaroni, finally got home :3

Wow, I definitely recommend Open Days after that, lovely place!!

And Jade, maybe you could phone to see if anyone's cancelled? :frown: There's a -lot- of people! x_x As Matisse said, you could always have a discreet wander about :wink:
Reply 30
It's largely dependent on the course and the college you're attending the Open Day for. Generally, however, you do need to book. All of the colleges are heavily oversubscribed to say the least. :p:
Reply 31
yes i loved CSM!
amazing
Reply 32
Mortiroth
As Matisse said, you could always have a discreet wander about :wink:

Chelsea is very easy to get into undetected :p:. Often if you casually walk in without entering the reception side (enter from the other entrance opposite), the staff will just think you're a Chelsea student and won't bother asking. Even if they do, just apologise and say you forgot your student card. The same can apply for CSM. :laughing:
Reply 33
pixy
yes i loved CSM!
amazing

Where did you go? Presumably the Southampton Row campus in Holborn?

The architecture is fantastic from the outside, and the area is centrally located. However, many prospective students complain about how old the building is inside. This is mainly why they're planning to move to a brand new complex in 2011. You'll experience the new building too during your third year, I believe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2008/09/26/csm_kings_cross_feature.shtml
Reply 34
No I went to Back hill!
Reply 35
pixy
No I went to Back hill!

I never went to Back Hill! :o: I studied Fashion, so I was mainly at Charing Cross Road (I won't go into the state of that place :p:), and occasionally went to Southampton Row for the library.

Maybe I should take a sneak peak at Back Hill when I have my day off from work. :p:
Reply 36
Awesome!! :smile:

It really had a 'hands on', motivated feel; everyone was so into their work and the atmosphere in general was incredibly active and busy!!! :biggrin:

I also loved the "explore, experiment, and don't be afraid" kind of attitude. I always got a slap on the wrist during A-Level whenever I tried anything zany or kooky. ;-;
Reply 37
Darn, sorry to double post;

My original plan was to do an art/design foundation and then do a BA -Fine Art-;

Is this actually possible?! I know it's last minute, but it's only just dawned on me!! x_x Worryyyyyy!!
Reply 38
Yes, if you're considering the CSM Art and Design foundation, you'll definitely be eligible to study Fine Art at BA level at the university/college of your choosing. You'll be covering a wide range of practices/disciplines whilst on the foundation anyway. During the later half of the foundation course you'll be asked to choose/specialize in your chosen area for degree preparation.

This is regarding how the CSM foundation works, it may differ for the other colleges. But yes, any foundation from any of the colleges will allow you to study Fine Art for your degree. :smile:
Reply 39
Whew, thank you so much Matisse!! :smile: I thought so, but I just wanted to make 100% sure! *relief* XD

You've been very helpful throughout the thread, thank you!! ^_^

Latest