The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

michael_owen
Dont show that mate, you will be labelled a troll or a "sensationalist", dont be labelled one of those.

I can see their response now mate "students get stabbed to death in all cities yada yada yada"...

It's an ongoing thing between me and him. My point on TSR is that some areas of London such as Mile End get hacked down on because of the media coverage of crime yet areas of supposedly equal roughness with a more elite university go amiss from criticism. London has never been a safe haven, I know I lived there, so I just take these reports in context.:smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
I'm not at nottingham but I was at the campus and in the town the whole day on Tuesday. The campus is so green and lush and if you stay at the hall or union bars/clubs etc., you're probably at one of the most pleasant university environments in the world.

I was in the town for a bit as well, maybe fridays and saturdays are worse but this wasn't too bad. Tbh every city has its bad spots. People don't avoid London unis because of Hackney or Peckham, so why avoid notts for the bad parts of nottingham? Especially as you never have to go there...
Reply 22
Phantom Phoenix
Get out :hmmm:

In all seriousness, the bad statistics about Glasgow emanate primarily from the East End where no student ever needs to go. There are areas there where life expectancy is actually thirty or more years below the national average - it's like a different city. But don't let it put you off; the city centre and West End are as safe as anywhere, provided you take the usual reasonable precautions.

haha, sorry! thanks though, i was a bit worried because of all the bad press it gets. it looks amazing to be fair, its a shame that crime can ruin a places reputation so much when the actual cities themselves are amazing and have a lot to offer.
michael_owen
BUT people then claimed that Reading, ipswich and OXFORD, yes OXFORD were safer. That is just pure lies, ignore it. They must have an agenda to protect nottinghams terrible reputations, but comon be realistic. Dont lie.

If Nottingham's so bad, aren't they supposed to be safer????
Also, there's worse places than Nottingham.

michael_owen
Fact is nottingham is statically the worse place in the uk for most crimes, even if you do not trust those crime figures, it shows that it has issues...

Well not really, I mean if the statistics are wrong then it doesn't show anything?

Now im at loughborough, not nottingham trent or uni, but i was born and raised and i have also had alot of friends at both unis. So i know the truth and i know more about nottingham than probably anyone on this section.

Yes but you're comparing it to other places, which you may not know much about. So just because you know lots about Nottingham doesn't mean you can effectively compare it to other places...
I used to go to nottingham fairly often, and I've never seen anything TERRIBLE in the city center, a couple of fights etc. But walking around late at night it's probably the least safe place I've felt.

Lovely campus and uni though.
Well I must say, I knew the lads girlfriend (who got killed) and also another friend goes to Nottingham Trent and has been burgled (well, she wasnt hurt but had expensive items stolen) and this was when she was in the house!

I have yet to visit but this all happened in the last 8 months and this is only the people I know. Obviously there are worse cities, but from personal (ish) experience, it seems right up there. Then again, it seems such a nice city, looks wise.
Reply 26
wawrwinka

I was in the town for a bit as well, maybe fridays and saturdays are worse but this wasn't too bad. Tbh every city has its bad spots. People don't avoid London unis because of Hackney or Peckham, so why avoid notts for the bad parts of nottingham? Especially as you never have to go there...

i agree with this, especially after what phantom pheonix just pointed out to me about glasgow. every city has its black spots for crime, and theyre often so notorious that you find out about them fairly quickly within arriving at a place, especially if youre a student. i remember when i was going to go to queens university in belfast, students not only giving me a tour of all the best places in the city, but also giving me the low down on were was really not safe. Now i love that city, and though its not always safe in a lot of areas at night, i dont think its all that different to other places, and it definitely didnt take anything away form it, i still put it down as my insurance and would have loved to have gone there. where ever you go theres the no go zones at night etc. and people should cautious of putting themselves in dangerous situations.

thats an obvious thing to say, but im always hearing things about student girls from the UEA going out and getting sloshed in Norwich then walking home alone in poorly lit areas on the riverside etc. and you cant help thinking that if anything happened, they didnt do much to help themselves really...
Reply 27
Nothing reflects the city better, surely, than the crime scene which was right next to Nottingham Trent Uni on the open day this Saturday gone...
And, quite disturbingly, it was opposite what seemed to be a Police/ Fire station.
:/
I've never found Nottingham that bad on a Friday night, but I might have just been lucky every time. Doncaster always seems to be way worse.
Reply 29
michael_owen
Now i saw someone say "manchesters worse" which although i have a friend from altringham who would completely disagree with that statement as he got mugged twice in nottingham.(hyson green). I thought fair enough manchester has a high crime rate, although its actually equal/if not safer than nottingam statistically, i let that one go.

Comparing Altrincham to the centre of Nottingham is a little odd. Altrincham and the surrounding towns (Hale, Bowden) are definitely among the more affluent areas of Manchester.
Reply 30
Audrey Hepburn
I've never found Nottingham that bad on a Friday night, but I might have just been lucky every time. Doncaster always seems to be way worse.

my friend is from doncaster, and that place sounds really scary. we were always sceptical as to whether sometimes he made it sound worse than it really was, but whenever he went over to visit family, by the time he came back he was always a raving racist homophobe, which took about 2 weeks to wear off :/ thats the actual effect it had on him lmao. how awful?! im sure thats an isolated thing, im not saying everyone from doncaster is a racist homophobe, but he must have had some right dodgy mates he hung around with there!
Reply 31
Calumcalum
If Nottingham's so bad, aren't they supposed to be safer????
Also, there's worse places than Nottingham.

Well not really, I mean if the statistics are wrong then it doesn't show anything?

Yes but you're comparing it to other places, which you may not know much about. So just because you know lots about Nottingham doesn't mean you can effectively compare it to other places...

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/compare/results/l/nottingham.html?c0=nottingham&c1=ipswich&compareSubmit=%9B+Compare&compareSubmit=%9B+Compare

i ddnt say nottingham was safer i said people on the thread were lying and claiming it was.
Violent crime 35 to 25 in ipswich

burglary 19 to 5 in ipswich

theft from a vehicle is 24 to 11 in ipswich per 1000 person.

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY higher, i can debunk reading and oxford as well if you like.

Look the oint im making is that there are sensible comments and non sensible comments.

And the comments made to that poor student was disgraceful, he could accidently get a flat in st anns because of those horrific lies made by the nottingham uni/trent PR machine members.

I hope he reads this thread to get a more balanced and imo realistic view of nottingham...

Lets compare ipswich with nottingham crime stats...

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/compare/results/l/nottingham.html?c0=nottingham&c1=ipswich&compareSubmit=%9B+Compare&compareSubmit=%9B+Compare

scroll down to the bottom and you can see that crime stats are far worse in nottm than ipswich according to the government.
Reply 32
nempozpag
Comparing Altrincham to the centre of Nottingham is a little odd. Altrincham and the surrounding towns (Hale, Bowden) are definitely among the more affluent areas of Manchester.

he did leave altrincham, he was from manc area, where hes een to salford, he went to college in longsight, hes family had a business in wyvenshaw, so he knows machester...
The point is that you need to be smart and not do stupid things like walk into areas where gangs are prominent or talk rubbish to people you don't know. Stay out of trouble and use your head. That significantly lowers your chance of getting into trouble.

Couldn't agree more - I'm from Nottingham itself and not really experienced any major crime except one occasion when a gun was fired up the road from where I live in 2003 , things were much worse back then with regard to gun crime. These kind of things would happen in a city of the size of Nottingham , and yes there are some fairly run-down inner city areas indeed but I'd not be too worried really.
michael_owen
ONE BEING A NOTTINGHAM TRENT STUDENT FROM SURREY!!!

Please get your facts straight before you post, he was from Suffolk, and it wasnt down to the nottingham crime, it was a ****** from germany who killed him, and it was a planned attack (bastard i hope he burns in hell)

He was my friend, and i will miss him :frown:
Rest in peace Matt xxxxxx
Seona-Jane
my friend is from doncaster, and that place sounds really scary. we were always sceptical as to whether sometimes he made it sound worse than it really was, but whenever he went over to visit family, by the time he came back he was always a raving racist homophobe, which took about 2 weeks to wear off :/ thats the actual effect it had on him lmao. how awful?! im sure thats an isolated thing, im not saying everyone from doncaster is a racist homophobe, but he must have had some right dodgy mates he hung around with there!

Donny is pretty bad generally, I only go out there because the centre's a five minute drive from my house. Trilogy's especially awful once the novelty wears off, I usually find myself spending the whole night in Walkabout these days (which is pretty much the least scaggy place - that's just how bad it is!).
Oh god!
I am from Nottingham but for god sake! If you live in the right place, dont cause any trouble then your safe!! I think your exagerating far too much!

Nottingham is a nice place providing you life in the right places and don't get your-self into any gangs to cause trouble.
Im sorry OP but where have YOU been living? In the middle of St Annes? Because yes places like that are bad but it is NOT as bad as you have been making out.

Rediculous.. Nottingham is a great City for uni etc..

You hear of more murders in London.
x.Crystal.x
Please get your facts straight before you post, he was from Suffolk, and it wasnt down to the nottingham crime, it was a ****** from germany who killed him, and it was a planned attack (bastard i hope he burns in hell)

He was my friend, and i will miss him :frown:
Rest in peace Matt xxxxxx

Hello, Im very sorry for your loss, I think all this made up about Nottingham is lies.., it's not this bad1

I hope your ok. I wish the OP wouldnt make up stuff like this and use a dead person to make his facts stronger.. Sick!
Reply 38
Audrey Hepburn
Donny is pretty bad generally, I only go out there because the centre's a five minute drive from my house. Trilogy's especially awful once the novelty wears off, I usually find myself spending the whole night in Walkabout these days (which is pretty much the least scaggy place - that's just how bad it is!).

lets see if audreys lying and compare nottingham to doncaster..

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/compare/results/l/nottingham.html?c0=nottingham&c1=doncaster&compareSubmit=%9B+Compare&compareSubmit=%9B+Compare

yup the governemtn says that audrey is talking baloney...

next
Reply 39
**CutiePie**
Oh god!
I am from Nottingham but for god sake! If you live in the right place, dont cause any trouble then your safe!! I think your exagerating far too much!

Nottingham is a nice place providing you life in the right places and don't get your-self into any gangs to cause trouble.
Im sorry OP but where have YOU been living? In the middle of St Annes? Because yes places like that are bad but it is NOT as bad as you have been making out.

Rediculous.. Nottingham is a great City for uni etc..

You hear of more murders in London.

nottinghams got a population of 279000 london has a poluation of 8 million. so your logic is highly flawed, are you going to say you hear about more murders in china compared to cotswolds...

Latest

Trending

Trending