Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You're a moron.

A complete and utter moron.

I've lived in Nottingham(shire) all my life, with a brief interlude during my time at University, but you're depicting Nottingham as some sort of stabbing capital of the world when in reality it's confined to a few select areas of the city that unfortunately suffer from the problems of poverty.

The reason why Nottingham has such high rates of crime is because these inner city locations are blighted by the problems of gang warfare and poverty. It's the same with any major city - Manchester has problems with Moss Side, London is probably worse in terms of actual crime.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I like Nottingham but I would never go there at night!
michael_owen
nottinghams got a population of 279000 london has a poluation of 8 million. so your logic is highly flawed, are you going to say you hear about more murders in china compared to cotswolds...

I think your just getting your facts wrong. Who cares about the figured of population? My point is there are more murders in Hackney, london than we hear of anywhere else so how can you say nottingham is the worst?

Where did you live when you live In Nottingham?

And Loughbourgh is nearly just as bad, if not worse! That's a horrible town!
djhworld

The reason why Nottingham has such high rates of crime is because these inner city locations are blighted by the problems of gang warfare and poverty. It's the same with any major city - Manchester has problems with Moss Side, London is probably worse in terms of actual crime.

Finally..someone who agrees.
Reply 44
Come to Northern Ireland! You shouldn't get shot/stabbed unless you parade around certain areas of Belfast in Rangers/Celtic shirts, otherwise you're grand..the fighting is all in the past here (well, to a degree!).
michael_owen
lets see if audreys lying and compare nottingham to doncaster..

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/compare/results/l/nottingham.html?c0=nottingham&c1=doncaster&compareSubmit=%9B+Compare&compareSubmit=%9B+Compare

yup the governemtn says that audrey is talking baloney...

next

:confused:

I said that I was talking from my own experience, how can I be lying? All I said is that from what I've seen Doncaster seems worse, but that could be because I've been to the worse bits of Donny whereas I've always stuck around Walkabout in Notts and not really explored much further. I've only seen a couple of fights in Notts whereas several of my mates have been mugged in Donny and I see a fight or two pretty much every time I go - but like I said THAT'S JUST ME.
Reply 46
Also, the original poster is shocked to hear that crimes happened in Basford, Hyson Green etc.

these are areas that suffer from deprivation and low attainment. While that might sound like I'm generalising, it's pretty much common knowledge that inner city locations such as St Anns, Hyson Green, Top Valley etc suffer from a high crime rate.
well I live in Hull how worse is Nottingham than there?
Reply 48
**CutiePie**
I think your just getting your facts wrong. Who cares about the figured of population? My point is there are more murders in Hackney, london than we hear of anywhere else so how can you say nottingham is the worst?

Where did you live when you live In Nottingham?

And Loughbourgh is nearly just as bad, if not worse! That's a horrible town!

well ok, lets see if the police who recorded the crime agree with you, so you say loughborogh is on par if "not worse" than nottinghams crime rate...ok lets see..

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/compare/results/l/nottingham.html?c0=nottingham&c1=loughborough&compareSubmit=%9B+Compare&compareSubmit=%9B+Compare

violence against a person is 35 in nottingham per 1000 compared to 19 in loughborough

Robbery shows you are 6 times more likely to get robbed in nottingham compared to loughborough

and you are 4 times more likely to get your car robbed in nottingham.

Look cutiepie all i am saying is, on that thread where the guy had concerns, aload of posters who obviously are either stevie wonder and are blind. Orrrrrrrrrrrr they have AN agenda to disguise the fact that it has problems.

If the posters on there had said "nottinghams not that bad, but watch out for st anns and meadows and radford" it would have been barable and i probably would not have made this thread...

But the fact that they lied to the poor chap and made out it was crimerate free and oxford/ipswich/ reading/loughborough and even doncaster were worse, when ive shown that its complete baloney. Whether i compare crime stories in the last 3 weeks compared to say doncaster or oxford, or i compare actual police figures, either way to say "oooo i feel safe coming back to nottingham from oxford" is a dam right lie.

It could have made that poster get a house in meadows for all i know...
Reply 49
Cerulean
That's the best part IMO :yep: So Jeremy Kyle.

I think you raise several interesting points, especially as someone brought up and bred there. Do you dislike Notts?

IT IS!! IT'S JEREMY KYLE IT REALLY IS!!! :rofl:
Reply 50
I don't get what your point is, you're annoyed because someone said "there is no crime in nottingham"

while that may be true, you could substitute nottingham in that sentence for Oxford, Manchester, Hull, whatever and it would still be a lie.
michael_owen
well ok, lets see if the police who recorded the crime agree with you, so you say loughborogh is on par if "not worse" than nottinghams crime rate...ok lets see..

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/compare/results/l/nottingham.html?c0=nottingham&c1=loughborough&compareSubmit=%9B+Compare&compareSubmit=%9B+Compare

violence against a person is 35 in nottingham per 1000 compared to 19 in loughborough

Robbery shows you are 6 times more likely to get robbed in nottingham compared to loughborough

and you are 4 times more likely to get your car robbed in nottingham.

Look cutiepie all i am saying is, on that thread where the guy had concerns, aload of posters who obviously are either stevie wonder and are blind. Orrrrrrrrrrrr they have AN agenda to disguise the fact that it has problems.

If the posters on there had said "nottinghams not that bad, but watch out for st anns and meadows and radford" it would have been barable and i probably would not have made this thread...

But the fact that they lied to the poor chap and made out it was crimerate free and oxford/ipswich/ reading/loughborough and even doncaster were worse, when ive shown that its complete baloney. Whether i compare crime stories in the last 3 weeks compared to say doncaster or oxford, or i compare actual police figures, either way to say "oooo i feel safe coming back to nottingham from oxford" is a dam right lie.

It could have made that poster get a house in meadows for all i know...

I think your a bit full of your-self. You keep putting all these links for people to look at. Where are you coming from?
No-one has portrayed Nottingham as being covered in honey or everything like that. Hard though it may be for you to accept, there are numerous members on The Student Room who live in Nottingham or have to visit regularly, and we genuinely do not experience masses of crime. It's not about wrapping oneself in cotton wool, it's simply about luck - some people suffer, whilst the majority do not. I have visited literally everywhere in Nottingham at every time of day and seen literally no serious crime. You talk about the City Centre being a bloodbath on Fridays and Saturdays, probably when the pubs and clubs turn out, and I can assure you that that is not a unique scene. There are fights, I admit it, but there are fights everywhere between drunken louts, some of which are serious. I know a friend who was robbed at knife-point in The Meadows for literally nothing, and that's how it goes, we all know a friend.

But don't insult the population of TSR by claiming that your one experience of Nottingham life is representative of the whole world. We all are or have been students at one time or another, and most people reading this will have studied or lived in Nottingham. The ones among us who have not experienced crime are not lying - you are projecting your bad experience on to the rest of the world and assuming it must be the same as everybody else's. Many of us have experienced petty crime, I'm sure. I know that on my Uncle's estate there are a number of drug dealers. Nottingham does have a penchant for organised crime nowadays and that is a fact. What people fail to understand is that organised crime rarely spills over into the public. Ordinary people are rarely stabbed or shot out on the streets of Nottingham. I know the Meadows well and can point out three places that I visit regularly where teenagers were killed - but I know also, or at least understand from a friend, that these are related to gangs and do not encompass civilians.

Such is the nature of crime. If you want me to paint a terrible picture of Nottingham's crime, I cannot, but the bleak picture you have picture is simply scare-mongering. Nottingham is a beautiful place and if you keep your head down and don't say stupid things to the wrong people, you'll be fine. I've seen fights at night in the City Centre, like I said, but I haven't been involved in any and I think that tells you everything you need to know about where sense will lead you in this life. Too many look at two people fighting and assume the worst, without ever examining the circumstances. Crime is pretty high in Nottingham, high by the national average I understand, but I'm told also that it is decreasing. Every now and again though, a civilian will be killed either randomly or accidentally and the statistics of yesteryear will be spilled out to paint Nottingham as the gun capital of the world or the crime capital of the United Kingdom.

The danger of you dying in Nottingham is remote unless you seek trouble. I don't see what one students death has to do with this - weren't two students killed in Newcastle recently? People are murdered all the time, that does not make the place they were murdered in a hell-hole. I can only reiterate what I've said, in that Nottingham is a typical modern city. There are good places, there are bad places, there are unfortunate people and then there's the content majority. If you are an idiot, if you are provocative, if you say the wrong thing to the wrong person, then maybe you'll find trouble for yourself. That is not something that is unique to Nottingham. I, as somebody who knows and loves Nottingham, and somebody who frequents it (nearly every day of the week) at night and at day and who knows friends and family there know it for what it is. It's not perfect, no more is it Hell. There are some really rough areas, there is a fair amount of gun-crime. Most of the crime though is either gang-related or related to organised crime, and that is a fact.

As a Student, you probably won't be noticed. You'll hear from a friend of a friend of a friend about a Student who got beat up, or a Student who was robbed or mugged. If you expect to go somewhere where crime simply ceases to exist then I advise you to forget about living altogether, because no such place exists. The world is changing and with modernity there comes an increase in crime. A lot of places are seeing the very nature of crime evolve. But I know from personal experience that there are worse places to live than Nottingham, such as where I'm living currently. Crime does exist around here in unwelcome quantities and we have to deal with it. I suppose certain areas of Nottingham are the same, but you don't hear about it because it's predominantly petty. On the gun siege in Bestwood, I can speak in great detail about that if you want because I know somebody who's very much in the know. It is better to describe it as a pretend siege because no guns were involved - it was over somebody who had beaten up their wife and had fled in fear of the consequences.

Unfortunately, the police over-reacted, the situation was over-blown and the end result was a siege. They could have stormed the building straight up and removed the man, but in the end forged a collection of a million police cars in a cordon along Padstow Road. As for the shootings, I plead ignorance - apart from the Student who appears to have been an unfortunate victim, I dare say they are either gang-related or organised crime related (if they are not one and the same). I understand why people look upon these crimes concernedly, but if you examine any city you will find a depth of crime and see that at certain times a great number of serious crimes seemed to be committed over a short period of time. There are lots of people in Nottingham and a couple of crimes need not worry you. I'm going into Nottingham tomorrow and shall be home in the middle of the night. Am I worried? Certainly not.

I don't consider a number of crimes totally unrelated to me to be worthy of worry.
Reply 53
'chap' just distracted me too much to understand what you were on about
Reply 54
LukeatForest
Oh, stop crying for goodness' sake, OP. No-one has portrayed Nottingham as being covered in honey or everything like that. Hard though it may be for you to accept, there are numerous members on The Student Room who live in Nottingham or have to visit regularly, and we genuinely do not experience masses of crime. It's not about wrapping oneself in cotton wool, it's simply about luck - some people suffer, whilst the majority do not. I have visited literally everywhere in Nottingham at every time of day and seen literally no serious crime. You talk about the City Centre being a bloodbath on Fridays and Saturdays, probably when the pubs and clubs turn out, and I can assure you that that is not a unique scene. There are fights, I admit it, but there are fights everywhere between drunken louts, some of which are serious. I know a friend who was robbed at knife-point in The Meadows for literally nothing, and that's how it goes, we all know a friend.

But don't insult the population of TSR by claiming that your one experience of Nottingham life is representative of the whole world. We all are or have been students at one time or another, and most people reading this will have studied or lived in Nottingham. The ones among us who have not experienced crime are not lying - you are projecting your bad experience on to the rest of the world and assuming it must be the same as everybody else's. Many of us have experienced petty crime, I'm sure. I know that on my Uncle's estate there are a number of drug dealers. Nottingham does have a penchant for organised crime nowadays and that is a fact. What people fail to understand is that organised crime rarely spills over into the public. Ordinary people are rarely stabbed or shot out on the streets of Nottingham. I know the Meadows well and can point out three places that I visit regularly where teenagers were killed - but I know also, or at least understand from a friend, that these are related to gangs and do not encompass civilians.

Such is the nature of crime. If you want me to paint a terrible picture of Nottingham's crime, I cannot, but the bleak picture you have picture is simply scare-mongering. Nottingham is a beautiful place and if you keep your head down and don't say stupid things to the wrong people, you'll be fine. I've seen fights at night in the City Centre, like I said, but I haven't been involved in any and I think that tells you everything you need to know about where sense will lead you in this life. Too many look at two people fighting and assume the worst, without ever examining the circumstances. Crime is pretty high in Nottingham, high by the national average I understand, but I'm told also that it is decreasing. Every now and again though, a civilian will be killed either randomly or accidentally and the statistics of yesteryear will be spilled out to paint Nottingham as the gun capital of the world or the crime capital of the United Kingdom.

The danger of you dying in Nottingham is remote unless you seek trouble. I don't see what one students death has to do with this - weren't two students killed in Newcastle recently? People are murdered all the time, that does not make the place they were murdered in a hell-hole. I can only reiterate what I've said, in that Nottingham is a typical modern city. There are good places, there are bad places, there are unfortunate people and then there's the content majority. If you are an idiot, if you are provocative, if you say the wrong thing to the wrong person, then maybe you'll find trouble for yourself. That is not something that is unique to Nottingham. I, as somebody who knows and loves Nottingham, and somebody who frequents it (nearly every day of the week) at night and at day and who knows friends and family there know it for what it is. It's not perfect, no more is it Hell. There are some really rough areas, there is a fair amount of gun-crime. Most of the crime though is either gang-related or related to organised crime, and that is a fact.

As a Student, you probably won't be noticed. You'll hear from a friend of a friend of a friend about a Student who got beat up, or a Student who was robbed or mugged. If you expect to go somewhere where crime simply ceases to exist then I advise you to forget about living altogether, because no such place exists. The world is changing and with modernity there comes an increase in crime. A lot of places are seeing the very nature of crime evolve. But I know from personal experience that there are worse places to live than Nottingham, such as where I'm living currently. Crime does exist around here in unwelcome quantities and we have to deal with it. I suppose certain areas of Nottingham are the same, but you don't hear about it because it's predominantly petty. On the gun siege in Bestwood, I can speak in great detail about that if you want because I know somebody who's very much in the know. It is better to describe it as a pretend siege because no guns were involved - it was over somebody who had beaten up their wife and had fled in fear of the consequences.

Unfortunately, the police over-reacted, the situation was over-blown and the end result was a siege. They could have stormed the building straight up and removed the man, but in the end forged a collection of a million police cars in a cordon along Padstow Road. As for the shootings, I plead ignorance - apart from the Student who appears to have been an unfortunate victim, I dare say they are either gang-related or organised crime related (if they are not one and the same). I understand why people look upon these crimes concernedly, but if you examine any city you will find a depth of crime and see that at certain times a great number of serious crimes seemed to be committed over a short period of time. There are lots of people in Nottingham and a couple of crimes need not worry you. I'm going into Nottingham tomorrow and shall be home in the middle of the night. Am I worried? Certainly not.

I don't consider a number of crimes totally unrelated to me to be worthy of worry.

that was avery coherant post but you have completely missed the point.

You as far as i know didnt claim nottingham to be crime free, you didnt claim that the cotwolds was safer etc, i have no problem with your opinion and you are right, with being streetwise more often than not you should be ok.

The point was that the people the other thread were just plain bul*********** to the point where they were giving him false information. Which as you pointed out, if you are not street wise could lead to a mugging etc.

As i say those people in that thread were far further from the truth than i am.

Ok so luke you feel i have over hyped its crimerate, thats fine i have no problem with your opinon, im sure alot would agree with you.

But the fact that they told that chap that he would not see one ounce of crime, not one, he could walk anywhere and people would hug him etc, was dangerous and wrong.

So i just wanted to create an alternative media to the nottingham cliche on here that seemed to be hired to spread false properganda..

good post though luke
In which case, I could lead these people down some right slums in Nottingham and I'm sure they'd change their opinion :wink:.

I'll change my post to reflect the fact that I misread your post, but you came across as being very preachy. I dare say the people who say Nottingham is wonderful actually do believe it. To me, it's a bit of everything; beauty, ugliness, friendliness and enmity combined. I love it - there's no fun when every place and face is familiar.
Reply 56
LukeatForest
In which case, I could lead these people down some right slums in Nottingham and I'm sure they'd change their opinion :wink:.

I'll change my post to reflect the fact that I misread your post, but you came across as being very preachy. I dare say the people who say Nottingham is wonderful actually do believe it. To me, it's a bit of everything; beauty, ugliness, friendliness and enmity combined. I love it - there's no fun when every place and face is familiar.

i agree, it is an exciting place where you see it all. Sorry for coming off preachy, im getting bad reps left right and center, so i have been doing something wrong, or have i???

I think i am probably getting bad reps from the posters on the "i dont usually worry but" thread...

oh well
I don't think anyone denied that Nottingham doesn't have it's bad parts or doesn't have crime, but to be honest, the areas where students will predominantly be hanging out e.g. city centre, wollaton, beeston, lenton aren't that bad. Which I'm sure most of the people you're referring to were trying to point out. God knows, no one should be walking round St. Anns by themselves at night unless they're asking for trouble, and the thing is, not many students would have any business in st. anns. You can insult Nottingham all you like, but you've got to realise, in every city there are good and bad parts, and most of the crime happens in the bad parts that most students of this uni at least, won't need to venture in. If students are smart, they'll know what to do to protect themselves from crime...and I'm sure most people know what to do. The way you say it, it's like if anyone should step out their door, they're automatically going to get killed, and that is sensationalism. I personally haven't witnessed any violent crimes in my time in nottingham and this is what I tell people, also bearing in mind locations and times of day, and I personally won't stop telling them.
Reply 58
La Trampa
I don't think anyone denied that Nottingham doesn't have it's bad parts or doesn't have crime, but to be honest, the areas where students will predominantly be hanging out e.g. city centre, wollaton, beeston, lenton aren't that bad. Which I'm sure most of the people you're referring to were trying to point out. God knows, no one should be walking round St. Anns by themselves at night unless they're asking for trouble, and the thing is, not many students would have any business in st. anns. You can insult Nottingham all you like, but you've got to realise, in every city there are good and bad parts, and most of the crime happens in the bad parts that most students of this uni at least, won't need to venture in. If students are smart, they'll know what to do to protect themselves from crime...and I'm sure most people know what to do. The way you say it, it's like if anyone should step out their door, they're automatically going to get killed, and that is sensationalism. I personally haven't witnessed any violent crimes in my time in nottingham and this is what I tell people, also bearing in mind locations and times of day, and I personally won't stop telling them.

you obviously did not read my response to luke :rolleyes:
Yeah I did, and I probably happen to be one of the people you're referring to, and I'm trying to explain to you what I and the other people you were referring to, were telling applicants.
FYI I don't work for the press or for the uni and I'm not on any propaganda either before you start thinking that.

Latest

Trending

Trending