Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which UK universities with the best campus and campus facilities?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews and Durham (especially Cambridge) are medieval but are quite lovely universities and their facilities are fantastic.

Warwick is modern and high tech but also is an amazing campus facility over all.

Birmingham is huge but looks like a lot of money is poured into the university. Its campus set up is lovely. It compares very well with the best in the USA.

So, aside from Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews and Birmingham, which other uni has an amazing campus?

I meant, which UK universities have the best campus and campus facilities?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oxford and Cambridge don't have a campus.:rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    exeter has a pretty nice campus, if your into rolling hills and greenery.....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)
    Well, Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews and Durham (especially Cambridge) are medieval but are quite lovely universities and their facilities are fantastic.

Warwick is modern and high tech but also is an amazing campus facility over all.

Birmingham is huge but looks like a lot of money is poured into the university. Its campus set up is lovely. It compares very well with the best in the USA.

So, aside from Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews and Birmingham, which other uni has an amazing campus?

Durham isn't medieval, there are also other universities older than it that you haven't included in your list.

To answer your question, how do you define "best"? I might want pretty surroundings, whereas you might want top-notch sports facilities.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)

Most of those universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and St Andrews) aren't campus universities.

What's more, Durham isn't mediaeval. It's historically centred around the penninsula, whose castle and cathedral are mediaeval, but the university itself is pre-Victorian.

Most of the Bailey colleges are in Georgian townhouses (1700s - 1800s), as are some of the arts departments. The Hill colleges are largely 20th century (particularly post-war) and the science departments are also.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    Durham isn't medieval, there are also other universities older than it that you haven't included in your list.
    Exactly, just because the city is mediaeval (and it has been a seat of learning and scholarship since then) it doesn't make the uni "ancient". Not when it's only the same age as UoL and not that much older than the redbricks.

It seems a bit odd that you've missed out a lot of the Scottish ancients (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and even Dundee) who are all older.
    • 4 followers

Lancaster looked pretty good when I visited it. Nice accomodation, nice shops, nice place in general really.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham looks nice.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hodgey90)
    exeter has a pretty nice campus, if your into rolling hills and greenery.....
    Too many hills :yep: But the campus is quite nice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yup, nottingham has a great campus. It's really green and lovely here...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    who cares if durham isn't medieval, you know what the OP means whether or not he has the era correct
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    who cares if durham isn't medieval, you know what the OP means whether or not he has the era correct
    No, I don't.

Because he names universities that aren't campus universities, so what exactly does he mean by "campus". Also, how do we define "best"?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Best uni campus = Keele.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    nottingham has a lovely campus.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Keele has a lovely campus. :^_^: It has Keele hall,woods and lakes that's also verygreen.:yep: the area round the union and shops and building are also quite nice.
    My friends goes to Nottingham that's nice too.:^_^:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    Exactly. I think some people are being a little pedantic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is lovely. I liked York a lot but it may be a bit more subjective. I'd say they were most impressive to me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    No, I don't.

Because he names universities that aren't campus universities, so what exactly does he mean by "campus". Also, how do we define "best"?
    well ok maybe the campus bit wasn't clear but do you really need him to say durham is pre victorian to understand what he's going on about? i really doubt it, common sense would tell you what he's talking about
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But he has missed out several other universities which are much older and are just as pretty with excellent facilities.

Glasgow was founded in 1451, Durham in 1837. That's a bit of a difference.
Updated: August 25, 2011
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.