The Student Room Group

Which uni for IR?

Im not sure what universities to choose, im going for Leeds plus four of:

Nottingham - BBB - European Politics
Brunel - BCC - International Politics (4yr thick Sandwich)
Queen Mary - BBB - International Relations
Queen's University Belfast - BBB - International Studies
Kent - BBC - Politics and International Relations
Aberystwyth - BBC - International Politics

I like the idea of spending time studying abroad, but dont have the necessary qualification in a language with the highest being an A in spanish GCSE. I also like the idea of a work placement. Thanks for any help.
How about keele?
Reply 2
At Notts you can spend a year or a semester abroad as part of your degree without any qualifications.. I might be going to Mexico next year, and I'm only starting SPanish this year...
Reply 3
I hadnt really thought about keele but like what i see on the site
evertonfan18
I hadnt really thought about keele but like what i see on the site

I got a defferd offer from them doing international relations with politics. I like the area and the course has been rated highly.
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies so far, but im still unsure on which unis are best of that group, + Keele aswell now.
I think Aberystwyth is commonly recognized as one of the best going in Pol/IR, it's other factors that make the grades so low. At Notts I asked about European Politics and they said it's pretty much the same as straight Politics but without some e.g. Latin American or Chinese Politics modules.
evertonfan18
Thanks for the replies so far, but im still unsure on which unis are best of that group, + Keele aswell now.

Nottingham arguably has the better rep and strength overall (for what it's worth) but I'd say Aber is the stronger politics uni. It also gets highly rated as a student town :wink:

Ultimately, as cliched and tired as it sounds, the best it what suits you.
Reply 8
So if you guys had to choose 4 of those to go to, which 4 would it be?
Bismark - What do you mean?

Evertonfan18 - Personally, I'd say - Aber, Notts, Belfast and Keele or Queen Mary's.
Reply 10
Well thats just not true though is it? Its got Peter Jackson, who'm I believe is Chief Editor of the worlds biggest Intelligence Journal, its got Paul Maddrell, Ian Clarke, Andrew Linklater, Alistair Shephard, Ken Booth...It still has some of the best Interpol writers/researchers/teachers in Europe, so I wouldn't hold Aber just to its past.

Incidentally, I wouldn't even worry which uni you go to, your chances of getting anywhere in politics without a Masters degree are limited, so you're probably going to need to go to two uni's anyway (unless you decide to stick it out at one).

Latest

Trending

Trending