The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If the informations available anywhere, it'll probably be on the university websites, so why not have a look? :smile:
look on the websites of the unis you're going to in their section on your specific course, it'll probably tell you there
ducky123
Does anyone know how many applicants there are per place for courses, particually chemistry (which im applying to) or related subjects?

It depends on the subject area and sciences can be very popular applied to.For example for a PAM (professions allied to Medicine)Degree course I had applied to last year, they was 7 applicants for every place and they were only 40 places.The university concerned had received over 540 UCAS applications and that was just that one University.So i did well to gained a place.You can get the relevent info from each individual university website or the undergradaute printed prospectus lol:yep:
Reply 4
As a general rule of thumb, Chemistry is one of the less popular subjects at degree level. University websites should give you more specific information, but remember that these are just statistics, and don't tell you, for example, how many people applied who didn't meet the entry requirements.
Reply 5
it's the number of offers per applicant that really matters.

Say an averagely popular uni had 100 applications for 20 places. Given that everyone has 5 choices, 80 of those applicants might choose to go elsewhere. So the uni has to make 100 offers to get a yield of 20 students.

For unis which are most people's first choice, like Oxbridge or LSE, the yield is much higher (but still not 100%) so they make fewer offers.

Unfortunately, few unis publish their full applications:redface:ffers:tongue:laces statistics. Oxford & Cambridge do. A few others bury them deep in their websites. If you post where you are thinking of applying, I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Chemistry is not generally a "selecting" subject though, as River pointed out, so if you meet the typical entrance requirements you usually stand a good chance of receiving an offer.
Reply 6
Cheers everone.
Bristol had about 10 per place. Seems quite daunting. Im ideally looking at York, but cant find theirs.
And thanks for the tip on people applying but not meeting the grades. Im on my gap year now, so orget about these things.
Reply 7
Over the last 3 years, York admitted 125, 13 1 & 132 students for chemistry. They have password protected the applications statistics page, which is a pain.

Try looking in the Brian Heap Degree offers book (there should be a copy in your school/college library). that used to give applications/place by subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending