The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

philip67
jon, you will be over the moon with Pendle. We rock!

Only because jon was a little over the rainbow with Lancaster
:p:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
I heard they used to close off the bridge in Durham during exams...

Sadly things like that can happen anywhere, and Lancaster's no more likely than anywhere else!
Reply 22
urbandervish

Only because jon was a little over the rainbow with Lancaster
:p:

Are you going lancaster? :eek:

Your sig is very disturbing ... what the hell is going on in there? :eek: :woo:
Launching pad :rofl:
There are suicides at many universities, Lancaster Uni just happens to have a huge tower that has had one or two incidents occur on and it's been blown out of proportion.

A university is good or bad dependent on your own experiences and what you study at the university. I have heard negative things about some courses but also extremely good opinions about others, and I can safely say that my course (law) is fantastic in most respects.

At least students are choosing themselves if they want to die, where as some universities you can't step outside without fear of being attacked. Lancaster is pretty much one of the safest universities around. Last year it was THE safest but I think it may have lost it's standing on that this year... but any increase in crime has been minimal. I think Lancaster is fabulous in respect of safety and personal well being.

(Ur sig is seriously disturbing! But I like it! :smile: hehehe!)
Reply 26
I spent a year in the prestigious BOWLAND TOWER and I can quite safely say that there was not a single suicide… That year...

There were silly rumours from other floors claiming that the halls were haunted by the spirits of dead students, didn’t believe any of them of course. Except, cleaning my teeth in the bathroom at 2:00am, with nobody else around, was quite eerie.

Many claim that it has been mainly Asian students who have committed suicide. I heard, from a girl in Bowland Main that there was one case of a Japanese student who killed himself due to academic pressure, and not being able to please his parents, or something like that. Not nice. But of course you get it at other unis as well! Lancaster just happens to be 99% concrete, and 1% Dominos pizza boxes.
Reply 27
has anyone heard of the bloody bowland murderer...well, u know what i heard....
a friend once told me that his friend once told him that bowland tower is curssssed! apparently, if your a first year you ought to avoid it, cos a mass murderer once roamed the campus, and he would wait outside bowland tower at midnight, waiting for unsuspecting students returning from a nights partying at toast or the sugarhouse, and grab them, and throw them off the tower. Of course, he was caught by the police, but apparently if u look up at bowland tower at midnight, and say "bloody bowland" 5 times, u can still hear his victims screams.....and some students have sworn he still roams the campus...waiting...
Or so i've heard. Oh, i love silly ghost stories!
Reply 28
Usman938
Asians committing suicide? probably ate dodgey curries.

surely that'd mean they died due to the curry, not the suicide
good one. :shifty:
Reply 29
deazle
surely that'd mean they died due to the curry, not the suicide
good one. :shifty:

Indeed the curry could cause such side effects as vertical jumping splatitis. :woo:
I think we should romanticize the entire thing. People go on about the planters at the bottom being memorial to three chinese students jumping off together or something. Doesn't that sound like true friendship? Perhaps they held eachothers hands, said a quiet prayer together and flung themselves off into the free wind.

I suppose that is as bad as being pro-ana though.
Reply 31
I lived in Bowland tower last year. I, and everybody else living there, are still alive.

Get over it :P

Seriously though, fiddling with the lock to actually get onto the balcony is far too much trouble.
Rhysigo
I lived in Bowland tower last year. I, and everybody else living there, are still alive.

Get over it :P

Seriously though, fiddling with the lock to actually get onto the balcony is far too much trouble.

I think if people are that desperate to kill themselves then they probably don't mind twiddling with the lock a bit. I don't get why they wouldn't just smash a window though...

I think jumping from a height onto a concrete surface is probably one of the last ways of things of killing myself. It's quite hard to think of a decent way of snuffing myself though... it'd have to be quick... ah, gun shot... or poison like Romeo.

Shakespeare had the right idea.
Reply 33
FurnessianLegalEagle
I think if people are that desperate to kill themselves then they probably don't mind twiddling with the lock a bit. I don't get why they wouldn't just smash a window though...

You are correct m'dear, if someone is willing to take their own life then a lock or window will just be minor hinderences.

Which is the point at hand here, if people want to kill themselves, the location really couldn't make a difference. Crappy accomodation like Bowland Tower is not going to push you that far.

I think jumping from a height onto a concrete surface is probably one of the last ways of things of killing myself. It's quite hard to think of a decent way of snuffing myself though... it'd have to be quick... ah, gun shot... or poison like Romeo.

Shakespeare had the right idea

I'd make it much more of a show, more so of a "heroic death" type deal if I really wanted to end myself. Nothing quite as miserable like that, heh.

Still - talking of how we'd kill ourselves is making light of a tragic thing that happens to others.
Reply 34
jon###
has anyone heard of the bloody bowland murderer...well, u know what i heard....
a friend once told me that his friend once told him that bowland tower is curssssed! apparently, if your a first year you ought to avoid it, cos a mass murderer once roamed the campus, and he would wait outside bowland tower at midnight, waiting for unsuspecting students returning from a nights partying at toast or the sugarhouse, and grab them, and throw them off the tower. Of course, he was caught by the police, but apparently if u look up at bowland tower at midnight, and say "bloody bowland" 5 times, u can still hear his victims screams.....and some students have sworn he still roams the campus...waiting...
Or so i've heard. Oh, i love silly ghost stories!

They should pay somebody to lurk around the fire door, listening out (somehow) for muppets repeating “Bloody Bowland” five times, and then scream through a megaphone.

The uni could make money from this urban legend business! I’d love for Yvette Fielding to stand in the entrance of Bowland Tower claiming to feel a “disturbance.” Yes love, it’s the faint smell of piss.
Maybe they were talking about someone else doing it and then warmed to the idea. We should stop now before it starts to look like a good idea...

Hey you could be my Romeo!
Reply 36
FurnessianLegalEagle

Hey you could be my Romeo!

Would that come with all the hasstle of shouting up to balconies and family turmoil? :P
Reply 37
Well, I went there for a year, the campus is a bit bleak; wouldn't fancy living on it, especially in some of the older blocks but the surrounding areas are nice.
Rhysigo
Would that come with all the hasstle of shouting up to balconies and family turmoil? :P

Nothing less. And we're discussing our suicide here so what difference does all that make?
Reply 39
My Physics teacher reckoned it happened a fair few times while he was at Lancaster. However he said they'd cut it down by simply blocking off the top floor.

Apparently melodramatic arts students decided that if they couldn't do it off the top floor they weren't going to do it at all...

Mind you the man compulsively talked bull******** so I'd take that with a fairly heavy bag of salt.

Latest

Trending

Trending