The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year just for oxbridge

I am applying this year but I am not applying to oxford and well I am tempted to take a gap year just because next year I know i will be a better candidate for oxbridge then this year.... what is worrying me is that i am applying this year so if they check my old ucas application out - as in this one - they will realise I have done 4 resits to push my grades up to AAAA so what do i do? do i take a gap year and just not apply at all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't forget, almost everyone who takes a gap year will be a better applicant than they would have been if they'd applied pre-A-level. So your interviewer will have considerably higher expectations of you, and it balances out.

So thinking "I'll be better next year" is not a sensible reason to take a gap year.

Did you have to resit any maths modules?
They won't know if you resit individual modules...

And if you do something good with your gap year, what is wrong with taking one? Just because you are aiming high doesn't mean you are being "sad" or whatever - it is a good thing to want to go to Oxford, not a bad thing.

:smile:
Reply 3
DFranklin
Don't forget, almost everyone who takes a gap year will be a better applicant than they would have been if they'd applied pre-A-level. So your interviewer will have considerably higher expectations of you, and it balances out.

So thinking "I'll be better next year" is not a sensible reason to take a gap year.

Did you have to resit any maths modules?

No maths resits but yes physics resits :yep:

I know i will be alot better next year

but i can still get rejected
I'm presuming that you're applying for Maths? IIRC, Maths is the only subject at Oxford where they say they don't encourage a gap year :s-smilie:

Edit: OK, they don't quite say that, but just be aware that if (for whatever reason) you decide to take a gap year, they expect you to be doing something mathematically-based during that year. Read the "Deferred Entry" paragraph. I know you're talking about applying next year, but I imagine the same kinda stuff applies regarding gap year activities

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/admissions-criteria

Reply 5
The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm presuming that you're applying for Maths? IIRC, Maths is the only subject at Oxford where they say they don't encourage a gap year :s-smilie:

Edit: OK, they don't quite say that, but just be aware that if (for whatever reason) you decide to take a gap year, they expect you to be doing something mathematically-based during that year. Read the "Deferred Entry" paragraph. I know you're talking about applying next year, but I imagine the same kinda stuff applies regarding gap year activities

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/admissions-criteria

yeah i would be doing something maths based I am gonna do an open university course called using mathematics :biggrin:
MathsStudent
yeah i would be doing something maths based I am gonna do an open university course called using mathematics :biggrin:

Ah, that's fine then! Some people don't realise that Oxford have certain requirements for gap year students, so just wanted to make sure you were aware of them :smile:
Reply 7
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Ah, that's fine then! Some people don't realise that Oxford have certain requirements for gap year students, so just wanted to make sure you were aware of them :smile:

yeah I was but my problem is should i take a gap year just for oxbridge isn't it stupid.... what if i don't get in next year ???
MathsStudent
yeah I was but my problem is should i take a gap year just for oxbridge isn't it stupid.... what if i don't get in next year ???

Well that depends. Why would you be a better applicant next year but not this year? Is the risk worth it?

I personally wouldn't, but that's just me :smile:
Reply 9
It is really tempting I don't want to go to uni regretting what i have done thats why
Seriously though: why are you not a good enough applicant this year? :smile:
Reply 11
The_Lonely_Goatherd

Because she hasn't yet learnt how to Use Mathematics?:p:
Reply 12
The_Lonely_Goatherd

see i worked really hard in jan and got over 90% in every subject and then i really messed up in june (got arrogant) and i got ABBC and further maths we get this year thats why :frown: i know i can get AAAAa this year but should i take a gap year just for oxford?
Reply 13
MathsStudent
i know i can get AAAAa this year but should i take a gap year just for oxford?

No, I don't think you should, to be honest. Regardless, you have until August next year to decide. You should probably wait for your A2 grades. Having AAAAa hardly makes you a strong candidate because almost every successful applicant is predicted similar grades anyway when they apply.
MathsStudent
see i worked really hard in jan and got over 90% in every subject and then i really messed up in june (got arrogant) and i got ABBC and further maths we get this year thats why :frown: i know i can get AAAAa this year but should i take a gap year just for oxford?

OK, so I see why you want to wait to get your A2s, but why make 2 applications? Why do you need to apply this year AND do a separate one next year? :confused: Surely it would be easier for you to work hard, do well in your exams and then apply to 5 unis during your gap year? That way it wouldn't matter if you don't get an Oxford offer, because you would have 4 other unis and at least one of those would hopefully make you an offer :smile:
Reply 15
The_Lonely_Goatherd
OK, so I see why you want to wait to get your A2s, but why make 2 applications? Why do you need to apply this year AND do a separate one next year? :confused: Surely it would be easier for you to work hard, do well in your exams and then apply to 5 unis during your gap year? That way it wouldn't matter if you don't get an Oxford offer, because you would have 4 other unis and at least one of those would hopefully make you an offer :smile:

yes thats what i am thinking even if i apply this year warwick and ucl will reject me i could apply next year having done step aea and read loads of books and be alot more confident about my application but heres the other problem my parents won't let me do it :frown:
Reply 16
Swayum
No, I don't think you should, to be honest. Regardless, you have until August next year to decide. You should probably wait for your A2 grades. Having AAAAa hardly makes you a strong candidate because almost every successful applicant is predicted similar grades anyway when they apply.

so your saying forget it apply and settle for whatever i get ????
MathsStudent
yes thats what i am thinking even if i apply this year warwick and ucl will reject me i could apply next year having done step aea and read loads of books and be alot more confident about my application but heres the other problem my parents won't let me do it :frown:

Why won't they let you do it? It will be a lot less stressful for you and (presuming that you get AAAAa) you will surely get more offers applying post-A2? :smile:

Also: how badly do you want to go to Oxford or Cambridge?
Reply 18
MathsStudent
so your saying forget it apply and settle for whatever i get ????

No, I'm saying don't take a gap year just for Oxford, especially if you think that having AAAAa makes you likely to get an offer.
^ That's a good point. You could get AAAAa and still not get an offer. You need more than grades to get an Oxbridge offer :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending