The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
diamonddust
To the person earlier who thought I thought Medicine doesn't contain any Biology or Chemistry, I know it contains Biology and Chemistry, but it seems to me (and I might be wrong, and I probably am) that Medicine combines elements of Biology, Chemistry,a bit of Pyschology, BioChem and things like ethics but ultimately, it is Medicine and not one of those subjects I listed.
Nail. Hit. Head.

About bloody time.
what's more important is your ability to problem solve and think rationally, accepting that half the time you wont have a ******* clue what the text book says you're supposed to do.
Reply 22
EierVonSatan
I think it is the hardest A-level (not counting further maths), and so does require ''dedication and commitment and hard work etc'', but this isn't a reason for him/her to put you off it.

1.So is anatomy? It's important to be able to memories large quantities sometimes.

2. I think you're underestimating it :p:

Like most academic disciplines at university, the divisions between subjects is blurred and as you've said it combines different elements including parts from biology and chemistry. It is therefore advantageous for them to know that you are already capable of handling such topics and saves them the time teaching you the fundementals. How would you have the entry requirements set up?3. AAA in any subjects?

1. I know.... I know... I keep reminding myself of the fact I'll have to remember huge amounts of anatomy whenever I find myself complaining about Bio and Chem... it only gets worse! :biggrin:

2. You're probably right!

3. No... I'd keep it the way it is. Chemistry IS a challenge regardless of my naive downplaying of the subject! I wouldn't change the requirements, I was just interested to see what other people would say about Chemistry! :smile:

I'm a bit of a Biology nerd myself, I have to MAKE myself love Chemistry by reading about the things they won't tell us at A level!
Reply 23
EierVonSatan
Like most academic disciplines at university, the divisions between subjects is blurred and as you've said it combines different elements including parts from biology and chemistry. It is therefore advantageous for them to know that you are already capable of handling such topics and saves them the time teaching you the fundementals. How would you have the entry requirements set up? AAA in any subjects?
Not being a geographer, I cannot talk about how your course runs.

In Medicine, however, the fundamentals are taught (or refreshed) - as a single incorporated subject - in the first term or so at most, if not all, medical schools.

Incidently, the entry 'requirements', (by which I assume you mean typical offer) act mostly as a filter. Remember that within the last decade these 'requirements' were as low as CCC, incidently, while the courses were, by and large, more academic.
Reply 24
ThePenguinMafia
what's more important is your ability to problem solve and think rationally, accepting that half the time you wont have a ******* clue what the text book says you're supposed to do.
Unfortunately however, from what I see, that's been beaten out of secondary education (and medical education to a degree). It's all about memorising facts and passing exams. There's nothing that trains people to switch on and think.
Reply 25
IMO Physics is the hardest A-level
Reply 26
jjkkll
Stupid diagram

without physical, chemical and biological problems Maths would not be required!

If the stone age med dint not have to count how many saber tooth tigers were chasing the(a Physical problem) they would not have bothered creating mathematics.

I agree - it annoys me too. It's not a subject purity diagram, it's a diagram of relevance to real life. (decreasing from left to right, of course...)
Reply 27
i.star
IMO Physics is the hardest A-level
I'd tend to agree, but it's down to personal ability to be honest - a lot of medics, and by definition science A-level students, would perhaps struggle with Art or DT.
Reply 28
EierVonSatan
what made you think I took geography :s-smilie:
Sorry, misread GOGSoc as...

Oh I have no doubt that the basics are revisited, not only to bring everyone up to the same standard but to ease students back into learning. But not taking say...biology or chemistry at A-level then this introductory period would be far more problematic surely?
Maybe, but equally if they took a biology or chemistry syllabus that didn't cover the more medical stuff, they'd be equally ******.
Reply 29
THE ACTUAL REAL REASON: Most medical schools do not have access to staff qualified to remediate a deficiency in Chemistry. Biology is easily corrected.
Reply 30
Oxy
I think it is the hardest A-level (Chemistry).

i agree:woo:
Also, chemistry can help teach you a bit about drugs and what goes in them! Possibly how to try and bootleg them at home as well, although that's just a tad dodgy.

They want it for anything to do with living things, and drugs. My brother and sister both failed at their first attempt to get into uni as they got B's in Chem when they needed A's, doing Veterinary Medicine and Dentistry respectively. While I did the smart thing, and picked a subject which didn't need it
Renal
I'd tend to agree, but it's down to personal ability to be honest - a lot of medics, and by definition science A-level students, would perhaps struggle with Art or DT.
most of them would get Us in music.
Reply 33
ThePenguinMafia
most of them would get Us in music.
Maybe, remember that most personal statements contain a Grade 7 or 8 in something or other.

(But med school orchestras are usually small and pressed for people, go figure)
Reply 34
Renal
Maybe, remember that most personal statements contain a Grade 7 or 8 in something or other.

Not sure if it's Urban Legend, but given the person who told me this tale and his standing in a certain UK "Ivy League" medical school I believe him...
He sat on an interview panel with someone claiming to have grade 8 piano. There was a piano in the corner... I'm guessing I don't need to finish the story, but he was terrible and didn't get in, despite the rest of his interview being impressive.
Cause med school admissions tutors are sadists. No joke.
Renal

Most is a bit OTT. at best you'd probably see 10% with such high grades in music. Of my friends I'm the only one I know with it, and a lot of my friends claim to play instruments.

Thing is you need to be around that good, and being that good takes years of practice that subjects like chemistry can't even compete with. I've been playing guitar since I was 10 and probably play a few hours every day, having also had private tuition. Imagine 8 years of that for chemistry? 8 weeks of that for chemistry and you're set for a solid A grade, regardless of whether you paid attention in class or not.
DrDomDom
Cause he was stupid enough to lie perhaps.

Personally, if they give me a guitar when I walk in the place (since I said it on my PS) I'll tear the MF'er UP! Id love an opportunity like that, I really would, cause it would be a chance to show real diversity.
I'd probably waste half the interview getting the thing in tune.
Reply 38
DrDomDom
Cause he was stupid enough to lie perhaps.

That's rather stating the obvious :wink:
Why Chemistry? Because Chemistry is something you should be fluent in if you're planning to do Medicine, it pretty much revolves around it.

I asked this exact same question from an admissions tutor (UCL) and he said it had to do with 'mental capacity' and it was a good measure of how the candidate retains what they have studied. He also mentioned that the Biology being studied at A-level was largely irrelevant to the subject matter (Ecology, and other such stuff I'm assuming.)

Latest

Trending

Trending