The Student Room Group

HELP!!!! Really confused about A-level choices

At the moment I am doing maths further maths chemistry and biology. The maths and further maths is fine, but the other two I am seriously confused about. The reason for me picking these options was so it would open lots of routes for me; maths, medicine and economics/business (as you don't need to do these at A level).

However even though it is the start of the year I am finding the sciences really boring and difficult and was thinking about dropping one of them for economics.

However if I did drop a science that would close of medicine completely, but do I need to be interested in biology and chemistry to do medicine? Secondly that would leave me with only one science and you can't really do much with one, so which do you think would be the best option between chemistry or biology?

Also, how did people find economics at A-level? I am really interested in things like the credit crunch and from what I've heard from friends who are doing economics it is quite good.

SO all in all what is your opinion on the matter? Do you think I should drop a science as I am not enjoying them, or keep them as it would keep all three routes (maths, medicine and business) open? If i do drop one which do you think I should drop?

Any help would be grately appreciated.
Reply 1
Unis generally require Biology and Chemistry. So it could hinder your chances..but it's not certain as there is the foundation year medicine plus graduate medicine entry you could consider??

You have to think about how you would catch up in economics if you do decide to take it!
yh they haven't really done that much in economics so catching up would be fine
All thre routes would be kept open with Maths, Further, Economics and Chemistry. However some med schools don;t like maths/further (they might want a contrasting a seperate as subject like physics or french or history or something).

Chem and Maths A2 is enough to get into Manchester, Dundee, Glasgow, Southampton... a couple of others... they only want Chemistry A2 and another science (one of Biology, Physics, Maths). If you really wnated to medicine you could tkae up Biology AS in the second year which would let you apply to about 20 med schools (KCL, Bham, etc; ) but if you're not liking Biology AS then maybe you won't enjoy medicine...
Reply 4
hazzypants
All thre routes would be kept open with Maths, Further, Economics and Chemistry. However some med schools don;t like maths/further (they might want a contrasting a seperate as subject like physics or french or history or something).

Chem and Maths A2 is enough to get into Manchester, Dundee, Glasgow, Southampton... a couple of others... they only want Chemistry A2 and another science (one of Biology, Physics, Maths). If you really wnated to medicine you could tkae up Biology AS in the second year which would let you apply to about 20 med schools (KCL, Bham, etc; ) but if you're not liking Biology AS then maybe you won't enjoy medicine...

Isn't that if you have them as part of 3 A Levels, if you have 4, I don't think it would matter, because essentially, Maths and Fmaths would count as one, and you have 2 more?

Thanks
Drop Bio because I think Chemistry leaves slightly more doors open, also some med schools don't require biology but they all need chemistry.
Reply 6
IMO Biolody> Chemistry however not everyone feel that way!

OP: Yes as long as you're willing to catch up on the work you've missed out on im sure it would be fine:smile:

I would advise that you think about what you definitely want to do when you're older and if medicine is something you want to do yet not sure you will have access to it then I would suggest thinking of another direction just incase, one that you're happy with however Im sure you could do medicine at some unis.:smile: definetly talk to your teachers for further advice too:biggrin:
If you want to really drop a science drop bio (unless you like it more in which case don't) as more unis require chemistry then biology
For medicine you only need chemistry and one other science, so i guess having maths as well as the chemistry might be okay. The only problem is medicine is highly competitive so having biology and chemistry would be advantageous. But doing it just so you can do medicine without actually enjoying the subject would be silly and might result in you not doing as well which would definetly mean you run the possibililty of not being able to do medicine. Therefore I would do chemistry. It will also keep more options open more than biology would and is supposedly harder.

Basically I would do the one you think you will get the highest grades in. x
Reply 9
cheeseandbiscuits
At the moment I am doing maths further maths chemistry and biology. The maths and further maths is fine, but the other two I am seriously confused about. The reason for me picking these options was so it would open lots of routes for me; maths, medicine and economics/business (as you don't need to do these at A level).

However even though it is the start of the year I am finding the sciences really boring and difficult and was thinking about dropping one of them for economics.

However if I did drop a science that would close of medicine completely, but do I need to be interested in biology and chemistry to do medicine? Secondly that would leave me with only one science and you can't really do much with one, so which do you think would be the best option between chemistry or biology?

Also, how did people find economics at A-level? I am really interested in things like the credit crunch and from what I've heard from friends who are doing economics it is quite good.

SO all in all what is your opinion on the matter? Do you think I should drop a science as I am not enjoying them, or keep them as it would keep all three routes (maths, medicine and business) open? If i do drop one which do you think I should drop?

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Well by the looks of it, you're not a 100% for Medicine and if this shows through even 1% in an interview, you'll be immediately rejected.

Seeing as you enjoy business and finance I suggest you look into that branch for a future career option. In my opinion, drop the most boring subject you're doing and the least interesting one to you. Alhough you won't be able to do medicine, you'll be much happier in the long run.

Sohan
just pick something u wanna do now... and stick with it, want to do medicine carry one both sciences, want to do econ, drop one for econ, or drop further math
I think dropping bioogy for economics would bhe my best option. I don't want to be stuck with a subject that I don't like for two years

Latest