The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Chlorphenamine is a sedating antihistamine - so I assume that the sleep disturbance is caused by allergies/itching etc, as opposed to the sleep problems caused by illnesses such as depression? as I've never heard of a drug like Chlorphenamine being used for that type of problem.
What exactly do you need to know about the drug?? For most information, I would recommend the BNF website, www.bnf.org, which is the online version of the British National Formulary, the database of every drug licensed for prescription in the UK.

HTH
Chlorphenamine belongs to the group of drugs known as antihistamines. It's used to prevent + relieve allergic conditions (ie. hay fever) and some allergic skin reactions.

It can cause drowsiness which i suspect is the reason why u said it's used to aid sleep. however i've rarely heard of doctors prescribing a medicine for its side effect.
Thanks very much to both of you. I cant believe that the doc has prescribed this a an aid to help sleep when there is no need of an antihistamine. :eek: Very strange, which explains really why it doesn't work for the child. Thanks again. :biggrin:
cindy
Thanks very much to both of you. I cant believe that the doc has prescribed this a an aid to help sleep when there is no need of an antihistamine. :eek: Very strange, which explains really why it doesn't work for the child. Thanks again. :biggrin:

np...but might wanna consider another doctor??
eurasianfeline
np...but might wanna consider another doctor??

If it was my child I would, sadly its one of the children I teach. He doesn't sleep that much and his parents asked the doc for help. Apparently Phenigan (sp?) doesn't work.
cindy
If it was my child I would, sadly its one of the children I teach. He doesn't sleep that much and his parents asked the doc for help. Apparently Phenigan (sp?) doesn't work.

well try telling them to consult another doctor's advice? i'm not a doctor so i can't say...but this doctor doesn't make me feel very...confident about him.
Reply 7
eurasianfeline
well try telling them to consult another doctor's advice? i'm not a doctor so i can't say...but this doctor doesn't make me feel very...confident about him.

You shouldn't jump to conclusions without knowing more background really. I agree it does sound...odd - but perhaps there is reasoning for it - if some allergy is giving the kid breathing problems that prevent them sleeping well, then it might well work. I have no idea though really.
Helenia
You shouldn't jump to conclusions without knowing more background really. I agree it does sound...odd - but perhaps there is reasoning for it - if some allergy is giving the kid breathing problems that prevent them sleeping well, then it might well work. I have no idea though really.

yup...that's why i thought they should consult another professional.
Reply 9
Piriton is often given to toddlers to help with sleep difficulties associated with a condition that irritates the skin. I've seen GPs prescribe it to provide relief for long enough for the kid to drop off, especially helpful for non-specific heat rashes, which are common in ickle people.
Reply 10
Here we go: I just popped Piriton and sleep into Google and this is one of the many similar hits:

http://www.parents.org.uk/index.html?piriton.htm&2
The many benefits of Piriton
Piriton contains a highly effective traditional antihistamine with a well-established safety record. Because Piriton is available in both tablet and syrup format it allows, Pharmacists and Consumers to choose the most appropriate form for the condition and the individual being treated. Piriton provides fast relief for a wide range of symptoms, and is suitable for all the family from the age of one year upwards. Piriton is the only antihistamine product , available OTC, which is suitable to be used in children to offer relief from symptoms of common childhood conditions such as atopic eczema and chicken pox. The syrup formulation has a palatable taste for acceptability in children and comes in a convenient plastic bottle along with a measuring spoon, thus assisting with compliance. Piriton can be particularly helpful during the night in the relief of itch and hayfever symptoms, so promoting restful sleep.
Reply 11
Fluffy
Piriton is often given to toddlers to help with sleep difficulties associated with a condition that irritates the skin. I've seen GPs prescribe it to provide relief for long enough for the kid to drop off, especially helpful for non-specific heat rashes, which are common in ickle people.

Which shows that just because something may not seem immediately obvious, doesn't mean that it's wrong - so the GP seems to be doing a fairly normal thing here.
Reply 12
Helenia
Which shows that just because something may not seem immediately obvious, doesn't mean that it's wrong - so the GP seems to be doing a fairly normal thing here.

Yes, exactly. I did mention in my previous comment that the sleep problems presumably were caused by allergic symptoms, which the drug would relieve... :rolleyes:
Helenia

I can see where it might come from had the child had such problems but he doesnt. He has epilepsy and is very hyper active. He has no allergies so wouldn't need a drug of this sort. Maybe the doc just prescribed it as a placibo.
Reply 14
cindy
I can see where it might come from had the child had such problems but he doesnt. He has epilepsy and is very hyper active. He has no allergies so wouldn't need a drug of this sort. Maybe the doc just prescribed it as a placibo.

You don't need an allergy to require a anti-histamine - if he's hyperactive he probably sweats a lot and therefore could end up with itchy skin (pruritus), which in turn could lead to hives (urticaria)...
From what Mum has told me he suffers from neither spoke to her today. Maybe he just gave it as a relaxant to aid him being more rested I don't know.