Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Making PC see camera as a mass storage device..

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi, when my boyfriend was on holiday in Italy he formatted all the pictures he took by accident so now i'm trying to recover the pics for him. I've downloaded various recovery programs (Recuva, smart recovery, card recovery and one he bought from Boots), but I dont think they work because the camera (a Canon IXUS 75) is being recognised as a scanner/camera and not a mass storage device/removable drive so it hasnt got a drive letter for the software to search.

Do you think buying a memory card reader would work? At the moment the camera is plugged in with USB with the memory card in it. I have the CD here but the machine is XP so it automatically detects the driver. Any ideas on how to make it see the camera as a removable disk? Willing to try anything at the minute to make this work!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if I understand, but you want to use the recovery program(s) on the camera, the camera has some sort of storage? SD Card, miniSD etc?

Try to install the Canon software, it may install drivers that the camera needs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you not have an option on your "My Computer" for the storage? When I plug my camera in, it comes us as "Camera (H: )" under My Computer, and I can access the files like a mass storage device from there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't make the camera appear as a mass storage device because it doesn't actually support that mode of connection (it uses a different type of connection that makes it appear as a camera).

You will either have to use a built in memory card reader if you have one on your computer, or buy a USB memory card reader and use that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    have you tried looking at the manual for the camera, a lot have a mode, but it may need fiddling in the menus to enable it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I put the memory card in a memory card reader in the end and it read it as a drive and i got the photos back

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2008
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.