The Student Room Group

PPE List

Hi guys, so I'm applying for PPE for uni and my list is currently looking as follows:

Oxford (AAA)
Durham (AAB)
Warwick (AAB)
York (AAB)
LSE (Philosophy and Politics) (AAB)

Problem is, none of them are 'safe' enough (I'm projected AAA) and my counsellor said I should pick one that will probably give me an ABB offer instead. Anyone got any ideas which universities give ABB - BBB offer for PPE?:smile:

Thank you:wink:

(On a side note, I was surprised Durham, Warwick and York were giving typically AAB offers considering their PPE departments are supposedly second only to Oxford's)
paperbagmonster

Hi guys, so I'm applying for PPE for uni and my list is currently looking as follows:

Oxford
Durham
Warwick
York
LSE

Problem is, none of them are 'safe' enough (I'm project AAA and some of the offers are AAB) and my counsellor said I should pick one that will probably give me an ABB offer instead. Anyone got any ideas which universities give ABB - BBB offer for PPE?

Thank you

lancaster
hull
UEA

york should be pretty safe with your grades as well. if i was in your situation (and I was a year ago) i would just apply to those five universities. it's highly unlikely that you won't get any offers.
made_of_fail
lancaster
hull
UEA

york should be pretty safe with your grades as well. if i was in your situation (and I was a year ago) i would just apply to those five universities. it's highly unlikely that you won't get any offers.

I'm not worried about not getting offers, I'm just worried that what if I get AAA offers for all five, and I end up getting AAB? **** happens. Just want to be safe. :rolleyes:
Hull are particularly strong in philoophy. The campus is in a fairly pleasent semi-rural location (even if the city itself isn't to anyone's taste).

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are predicted AAA then, with a solid personal statement and references, I'd be suprised if you got rejected from all of those five.
paperbagmonster
I'm not worried about not getting offers, I'm just worried that what if I get AAA offers for all five, and I end up getting AAB? **** happens. Just want to be safe. :rolleyes:

If you got an AAB offer, say you get accepted by all of those unis. All give you an AAA offer except York (AAB). Would you really put York as your insurance?

But there are at least a couple of courses there, in your original list, where the typical offer is AAB. I'd be suprised if one of those unis gave you an AAA offer, especially if you're predicted AAA.
Garden_Gnome
If you got an AAB offer, say you get accepted by all of those unis. All give you an AAA offer except York (AAB). Would you really put York as your insurance?

But there are at least a couple of courses there, in your original list, where the typical offer is AAB. I'd be suprised if one of those unis gave you an AAA offer, especially if you're predicted AAA.

What do you mean by that? Are you saying that universities don't usually give you the offer of your predicted grades? O_O Actually for the courses I'm applying for in LSE, Warwick and Durham (and York of course), they're asking for AAB-AAA in a typical offer...so are you saying that at least one of them is going to give me an AAB offer, even though my predicted is AAA?
yes. if their standard offer is AAB, that's what they'll give you even if your predicted grades are better.
Reply 7
Oxford I would imagine would still give the AAA offer. A friend had an offer for PPE there and got offered AAAD.
Reply 8
Even if you get an AAA offer and miss a grade, a department that makes AAB offers will probably take you.

There's a big step between your five ideal choices and the likes of Hull and Lancaster in my opinion. If you wouldn't be happy accepting one of the latter, I think it's a waste of time putting it down. You would have to accept the chance of taking a gap year if you got no offers, however.

the other option is apply to 4 now and review your situation at Christmas (hell, you might even have an Oxford offer by then). You could ask on the Oxford PPE thread when other offers come through.

the only other factor would be if you were really concerned about making AAA or AAB - depends on your UMS scores really.

good luck

Latest

Trending

Trending