The Student Room Group

What can I do after Intl. Relations?

Ok, so Im thinking of applying for something along the lines of political science, ppe or intl relations (undergraduate)...Now the thing is im very confused about what we can do after we get a degree in something like the abovementioned subjects.

I think i might want to get into law or medicine once im done with one degree so that i have a definite profession, so it'd be great if my first degree also helped me in the legal and medical professions.

What do you guys say? What should i do at undergrad as a basic degree? And also, what kind of employment do these undergrad degrees offer?:eek:
It'll certainly help with law but you need to do a 1 or 2 year conversion course followed by solicitor or barrister training in England&Wales.

Medicine....anyone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need a rather major conversion, maybe a second degree in medicine but your science-based ALevels should help :smile:
Reply 2
what do u mean by conversion?
sorry but i really am clueless.
There's a conversion course you take if you're postgrad (which you will be) which will make you a lawyer in the UK (you don't need a law degree).

Also, for IR/Politics you can do: journalism or work for like the UN or something humanitarian (charity work, aid work...)
Reply 4
alikarachi
what do u mean by conversion?
sorry but i really am clueless.

A degree that converts your undergraduate degree into a professional qualification.

Say you do take PPE. If you wanted to go into law you'd (probably) take the Graduate Diploma in Law (the conversion course) which "converts" your undergraduate degree. You will still have a BA (hons) in PPE, but will have also met the academic requirements of becoming a solicitor/barrister.

All of those degrees offer great employment prospects. PPE is particularly popular. Of course the civil service and politics (look at how many cabinet ministers have a PPE degree) are the obvious example but your employment prospects will not be confined to these areas. It's not as though many have "becoming an MP" a specific career ambition and the civil service is open to grads from all subjects anyway.

PRospects give a fairly reasonable account of what career options are avaiable with a degree.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Options_with_your_subject/p!eXbLc

So look at politics (plus philosophy and economics if you're thinking of PPE) to gain a rough idea.

But I must stress that this is only a guide. A massive range of careers will be available to you (including law, where philosophy and politics are particularly valuable).
:ditto: That's what I meant by Conversion Course. Apologies for not making myself clear.
alikarachi
Ok, so Im thinking of applying for something along the lines of political science, ppe or intl relations (undergraduate)...Now the thing is im very confused about what we can do after we get a degree in something like the abovementioned subjects.

I think i might want to get into law or medicine once im done with one degree so that i have a definite profession, so it'd be great if my first degree also helped me in the legal and medical professions.

What do you guys say? What should i do at undergrad as a basic degree? And also, what kind of employment do these undergrad degrees offer?:eek:

Do a law or medical degree then :cool:
Reply 7
Pillar of Autumn
Do a law or medical degree then :cool:
Cardiff University - LLB Law and Politics[M100]
Lancaster University - LLB Law [M100]
University of Exeter - LLB Law [M103]
University of Exeter (Cornwall) - LLB Law [M105]
Swansea University - LLB Law [M100]

But not at those universities.:shifty:

EDIT:
Your grades are OK.
UCL, Kings, Durham, Warwick, Nottingham and York are within your grasp.
(It is too late for Oxford and Cambridge and LSE would turn you down )

So why are you applying to 4th tier universities for law ?
Are you a masochist or do you just feel very insecure ?

ANOTHER EDIT:
Aah, you are from Hong Kong and so are clueless about our universities.
Here is a free clue: You have applied to 4th tier universities.
You can do better with your marks.
Reply 8
flugestuge

Aah, you are from Hong Kong and so clueless about our universities.
Here is a clue: You have applied to 4th tier universities.
You can do better with your marks.

Exeter isn't a fourth tier university (either generally or in law). In law it's certainly, in my opinion, just outside the elite (Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Durham, Bristol and Nottingham). It's no "worse" than Warwick.

It seems you're just as clueless.
Reply 9
flugestuge
and LSE would turn you down.

How on earth do you know whether or not LSE would turn him down?

Anyway, with the greatest respect to Pillar of Autumn, I doubt and of the elite law schools are within their grasp (but, then again, I know Durham only ask for a 38). That's probably why they have applied to the (solid and still good) law schools that they have. Plus Exeter, which is just outside the elite, but the Cornwall campus has lower requirements.
River85
Exeter isn't a fourth tier university (either generally or in law). In law it's certainly, in my opinion, just outside the elite (Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Durham, Bristol and Nottingham)..

Law:
Tier 1
Oxford
Cambridge

Tier 2
LSE
UCL
KCL

Tier 3
Nottingham
Durham
Warwick
Bristol
Edinburgh

Tier 4
QM
School of Oriental and African Studies
Leicester
Dundee
Exeter
Hull
Keele
Kent
Liverpool
Queen's Belfast

For what it is worth, the Times rates it 23rd in the country for law and a long way below even Leicester and Dundee !
River85
How on earth do you know whether or not LSE would turn him down?

Because of this:
IGCSE/GCSE Results 2007: A*A*A*AAAAABC
and this:
IB Diploma predicted grades:
HL Physics - 7
HL History - 6
HL Business & Management - 6
SL English A1 - 5

Law at LSE is very competetive.
Reply 12
flugestuge
Law:
Tier 1
Oxford
Cambridge

Tier 2
LSE
UCL
KCL

Tier 3
Nottingham
Durham
Warwick
Bristol
Edinburgh

Tier 4
QM
School of Oriental and African Studies
Leicester
Dundee
Exeter
Hull
Keele
Kent
Liverpool
Queen's Belfast

For what it is worth, the Times rates it 23rd in the country for law and a long way below even Leicester and Dundee !

Oh well, at least that answers my earlier question.

Not someone else who thinks KCL deserves to be the "G6"? How on earth is Kings a level above Warwick, Durham etc?

Anyway, those are general tiers. It's very hard, and very subjective, to create such tiers. Very few would place KCL there (see the constant mockery of the G6 trolls). Putting university into such "tiers" or little nice slots makes a mockery of the complex nature of higher education and that there can be insignificant differences between most of your tier 3 and tier 2 in most subjects (or tier 3/4 and tier 2 and so on).

However, in law, then this does as a rough guide (and there will be general agreement in the law forum) of how they are seen at the bar or top city firms.

Oxford, Cambridge
(medium gap)
LSE, UCL, Durham, Bristol, KCL, Nottingham (Nott not so much in the bar)
(small gap)
Warwick, Manchester, Birmingham, Leicester, Exeter
(even smaller gap)
Newcastle, Leeds, SOAS....

In provincial or high street firms, this should be less of a concern. There are also great law schools that are even lower down (including some ex-polys).

Anyway, Exeter has produced its barristers over the last few years, that says a lot.

So what if Exeter is only ranked 23rd? It's a league table, nothing more. Also, Dundee is in Scotland. As a result it teaches Scottish law (although they may be one of those who also teach English and Welsh law, though I may be wrong). You can't really compare the Scottish and English/Welsh law school (see the absence of Scottish law schools in my tiers above). Again, your ignorance is outstading.

I'm aware LSE is competitive. I'm not a moron. My point was, how is it more competitive than the other top law schools (those top two tiers)? The don't use the LNAT, which doesn't help.

It's bad enough I give advice about law unis (and am not a law student). At least I have a fair idea what I'm talking about.

You seem to be a person who loves their league tables and taking them so literally. Can you please answer this then? Why do you place Durham in tier 3 when it consistantly outranks UCL in most of the subject tables, often considerably so (and, in the general table, is a tiny seven points behind UCL). Compare that to the gap between Oxford and Cambridge, which is greater.

Don't give me this "average ranking of the past ten years". It's not an indication of how the universities are right now. Also, it's not as though Durham was really any worse back then. It's just universities such as Nottingham were growing at a great rate (though Durham was perhaps brought down slightly by Queens Campus, which it isn't so much now).

Also, if you do want to use that "average ranking" then you'll see you have a major problem with KCL.

I'm not suggesting Durham is on UCL's level. Really, I couldn't care. It may be or, if there is a gap, it's very small. I'm just interested in why you place such an emphasis on league tables.

You have no idea what you are talking about. This thread, and the other one (plus countless ones I've seen over the past few months) shows this. Your neg rep is well deserved. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending