The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lucidity
My friend wants to be a civil engineer and he is taking IB right now, but he didn't take physics HL or math HL. Can he be a civil engineer?

Sure, he'd be in a similar case to me - in that we'd have to take a foundation year (so that the BEng becomes 4 years and not 3 years). Although, I still have the chance to receive an offer for the 3 year course - because I do SL Mathematics and HL Physics.
Lucidity
My friend wants to be a civil engineer and he is taking IB right now, but he didn't take physics HL or math HL. Can he be a civil engineer?

Depends on where he wants to do it, some universities do not take foundation course people, notably the higher tier ones.
Master Polhem
Depends on where he wants to do it, some universities do not take foundation course people, notably the higher tier ones.

A lot of the top universities offer foundation courses for direct entry onto the BEng/MEng programmes... such as Southampton, Bath, Cardiff and Swansea
Pillar of Autumn
A lot of the top universities offer foundation courses for direct entry onto the BEng/MEng programmes... such as Southampton, Bath, Cardiff and Swansea

Not Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial. I am not sure what the OP is looking for just wanted to make him aware of this arrangement.
Master Polhem
Not Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial. I am not sure what the OP is looking for just wanted to make him aware of this arrangement.

But Bath, Southampton, Cardiff and Swansea are considered (in your own words) as 'Higher Tier'.
Pillar of Autumn
But Bath, Southampton, Cardiff and Swansea are considered (in your
own words) as 'Higher Tier'.

Are those my words?
Observe:

Master Polhem
Pillar of Autumn
Observe:

By that I meant Oxbridge and Imperial for engineering (as I pointed out...).

Observe:

master Polhem
Master Polhem
By that I meant Oxbridge and Imperial for engineering (as I pointed out...).

Observe:

That was after your initial statement. Geez.
Pillar of Autumn
That was after your initial statement. Geez.

I am sorry what the hell are you talking about and furthermore imitating 17-year old American high school girls does not further your cause very much, see "Geez".

My first statement on this thread was:

Master Polhem

After which I pointed out that I was referring to oxbridge and Imperial in response to you suggesting other universities (southamption e.g.) that did take foundation course students.

I did not consider Bath and the other ones you suggested as top tier as I had already pointed out Top tier for me, in engineering, Is Cambridge, Imperial and Oxford.

Stop putting words in my mouth you seem to believe that by me saying higher tier ones that somehow encompasses every university possible in your book. Higher Tier for me is Oxbridge and Imperial (as I pointed out) I don't give a damn what you think higher tier means but as I was the author of my words and you not I believe I have the upper hand in deciding as to their significance.
Master Polhem
I am sorry what the hell are you talking about and furthermore imitating 17-year old American high school girls does not further your cause very much, see "Geez".

My first statement on this thread was:

After which I pointed out that I was referring to oxbridge and Imperial in response to you suggesting other universities (southamption e.g.) that did take foundation course students.

I did not consider Bath and the other ones you suggested as top tier as I had already pointed out Top tier for me, in engineering, Is Cambridge, Imperial and Oxford.

Stop putting words in my mouth you seem to believe that by me saying higher tier ones that somehow encompasses every university possible in your book. Higher Tier for me is Oxbridge and Imperial (as I pointed out) I don't give a damn what you think higher tier means but as I was the author of my words and you not I believe I have the upper hand in deciding as to their significance.

WoW, your english is ever so impressive (not!) :cool:
There is no need to be hostile, you know.
Pillar of Autumn
WoW, your english is ever so impressive (not!) :cool:
There is no need to be hostile, you know.

I am always hostile to hypocritical idiots.

Care to retort or will you drag your sorry corps out of here like the communists out of Berlin?
Reply 13
raxeman
Sure, he'd be in a similar case to me - in that we'd have to take a foundation year (so that the BEng becomes 4 years and not 3 years). Although, I still have the chance to receive an offer for the 3 year course - because I do SL Mathematics and HL Physics.

How easy was it for you to get accepted into a foundation engineering year if your already taking maths SL and physics HL?

I'm taking Maths HL but no physics and would like to do a foundation year but im worried many unis wont accept me because i have maths HL.
Reply 14
Master Polhem
I am always hostile to hypocritical idiots.

Care to retort or will you drag your sorry corps out of here like the communists out of Berlin?

Under what circumstances is he considered a hypocrite, fool? Research the definition in a dictionary. You lack verisimilitude in your command of the english language so do cease with the jargon. :rolleyes:
raxeman
Under what circumstances is he considered a hypocrite, fool? Research the definition in a dictionary. You lack verisimilitude in your command of the english language so do cease with the jargon. :rolleyes:

You found a dictionary and thesaurus, well done.

Is this a Hong Kong gang up? How unfair.
Reply 16
Master Polhem
You found a dictionary and thesaurus, well done.

Is this a Hong Kong gang up? How unfair.

I study law at Cambridge, why would I even need a dictionary/thesaurus? I bet you have a couple on your desk. Or perhaps an online translator. Pathetic..
raxeman
I study law at Cambridge, why would I even need a dictionary/thesaurus? I bet you have a couple on your desk. Or perhaps an online translator. Pathetic..

You study law at Cambridge *WOW* what are you doing in an engineering forum?

Why would you need a thesaurus/dictionary, well seeing as the English language boasts a register well in excess of 100,000 words I was under the impression that no man, not even a savant, could know all their synonyms, antonyms and explanations. Clearly I must have mistaken myself for there is the great cohort of Cambridge lawyers who know every single word in the world and do not need those middle-class plebeian tools of dictionaries and thesauruses.

Poor those who dare to face your glaring magnificent intellect towering over them and their fellows. The day of reckoning shall come for us all, even a Cambridge lawyer who does not need a dictionary nor a thesaurus.

(I have three volumes of the Oxford Dictionary versions 2,3,4 and five volumes of the Oxford Thesaurus versions 4,5,6,7,8 on my desk, right here beside me. I had to look up the words: synonym, antonym, plebeian, glaring and cohort in order to write a retort that was up to a Cambridge-lawyer-who-does-not-need-a-dictionary/thesaurus's extraordinarily learned standard, as to not make a fool of myself should he indeed call my bluff that I know not of a single word beyond 'pint' and 'shag' for I am but a 'chav' )
Master Polhem
You study law at Cambridge *WOW* what are you doing in an engineering forum?

Why would you need a thesaurus/dictionary, well seeing as the English language boasts a register well in excess of 100,000 words I was under the impression that no man, not even a savant, could know all their synonyms, antonyms and explanations. Clearly I must have mistaken myself for there is the great cohort of Cambridge lawyers who know every single word in the world and do not need those middle-class plebeian tools of dictionaries and thesauruses.

Poor those who dare to face your glaring magnificent intellect towering over them and their fellows. The day of reckoning shall come for us all, even a Cambridge lawyer who does not need a dictionary nor a thesaurus.

(I have three volumes of the Oxford Dictionary versions 2,3,4 and five volumes of the Oxford Thesaurus versions 4,5,6,7,8 on my desk, right here beside me. I had to look up the words: synonym, antonym, plebeian, glaring and cohort in order to write a retort that was up to a Cambridge-lawyer-who-does-not-need-a-dictionary/thesaurus's extraordinarily learned standard, as to not make a fool of myself should he indeed call my bluff that I know not of a single word beyond 'pint' and 'shag' for I am but a 'chav' )

You have serious issues. You also make me laugh. :biggrin:
Pillar of Autumn
You have serious issues. You also make me laugh. :biggrin:

(I must admit I am finding this rather entertaining)

Latest