The Student Room Group

Medicine with No Biology qualification

Please leave comments with any of the following information:

1) Yourself, of people you know getting into med school with no biology to A2

2) Or getting into medicine with only AS Biology, or AS Biology taken in the second year.

Places like Manchester and Imperial say they only want "chemistry and a Science" But I want to know if there are actually people that exist that got in with Chemistry, Maths and German A2 or Chemistry, Maths and English A2 or whatever...

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Talk to philosoraptor, he got into RFUCMS with an AS in biology taken in second year iirc.
I'd say biology is pretty important for medicine though? Especially the competitiveness of the course, surely they would favour people with a Bio A2? =/
Reply 3
Democracy
Talk to philosoraptor, he got into RFUCMS with an AS in biology taken in second year iirc.

just went on his profile. he did 5 as and 4 a2 in three years. or something along those lines. something i don't want to do!
Reply 4
You'll find a small handful that did. Even if it isn't an explicit requirement they may give slight preference to it because how are you supposed to start a Medicine course when the last Biology work you did was in GCSE?
Reply 6
Friend of mine got into Bristol with Maths, Chemistry and Physics with Geography at AS.
I only did AS Biology! Also did A2 Chemistry, Maths, History, ICT and Critical Thinking.
Reply 8
Miss Monkey
I only did AS Biology! Also did A2 Chemistry, Maths, History, ICT and Critical Thinking.

do you know of many others at ur med school or others that did the same???? please reply!!!!!
hazzypants
do you know of many others at ur med school or others that did the same???? please reply!!!!!

Umm no not really, but then it's not something that comes up. If you're worried it will affect your application- I got four offers, so it can't have been that bad not to have Biology. And I got a merit in my first year so it didn't hurt me not having it once I got here.
Reply 10
Miss Monkey
Umm no not really, but then it's not something that comes up. If you're worried it will affect your application- I got four offers, so it can't have been that bad not to have Biology. And I got a merit in my first year so it didn't hurt me not having it once I got here.

did you do the as in your a2 year?? which med school are you at??

i'm really worried i should be taking bio... but i dont want to take more than 2 sciences....
I'm at King's College. I also got offers from Barts, Manchester and Leicester.
I did the Biology in my AS year at night school, but I put the grade down as pending on my UCAS as I did a module in the January of year 13. Effectively it would have looked to the admissions tutor that I was doing my AS Biology in year 13.
Reply 12
yeh mate, any other people, with this ?!?!?!
Is Biology an entrance requirement at the places you want to apply to?

If not, then legally it is not a problem.
Reply 14
Speedbird2008
Is Biology an entrance requirement at the places you want to apply to?

If not, then legally it is not a problem.

I know, but i want to see if people actually get in without it. everyone know how damn picky medical schools can be!
Reply 15
Don't worry. I got in without it, as did a handful of others at my med school (Leeds). There are a couple of medschools that don't require biology at all, and they won't look down on you for not having it.
Reply 16
Naveed
Don't worry. I got in without it, as did a handful of others at my med school (Leeds). There are a couple of medschools that don't require biology at all, and they won't look down on you for not having it.

do you didnt have any biology at all??

what did you have?? as in a levels, work exp etc;;

thnak you so much :smile:
Reply 17
well this is going on highers and advanced highers but:

a guy on my course has done no biology since standard grade
another did crash higher biology in 6th year, so basically crash AS in the last year

however, these people all did higher (if not advanced higher) in maths, chemistry and physics and so had 3 sciences at higher, just not biology

(this is all at edinburgh uni)

i think to stand a good chance you need to have at least 3 sciences at AS level even if you only take 2 to A-level
Reply 18
Just a question, why are you doing Maths? You don't need it for any of the subjects you're potentially applying for..
ninety_nine
You'll find a small handful that did. Even if it isn't an explicit requirement they may give slight preference to it because how are you supposed to start a Medicine course when the last Biology work you did was in GCSE?
a level biology is virtually irrelevant to the actual study of medicine, you are taught all the bits you need to know again

Latest

Trending

Trending