The Student Room Group

How do I leave my Sainsbury's job?

Hi

I've only been working at Sainsbury's for about 4 weeks, but the hours they make you do - minimum 12 hours a week - are really tiring, especially on top of 5 intense AS levels.

Also, I applied to Waitrose initially but got no reply, so I just took the job at Sainsbury's. But yesterday I got a call asking me to come to a group interview at Waitrose, and I want to work there.

So how do I go about leaving Sainsbury's? I was never told at my interview!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Well, I left after my first week and I was similar situation to you as I am taking 5 intense alevels and already have a lot of other commitments. They were silly hours as well. I just handed a letter in, and because I still hadn't properly finished my training it was easier for them just to let me leave rather than working my notice. You are meant to hand a letter of resignation to the HR person at your store. Good luck with it.
Walk out with a hi-fi.
cheesymunchkin
Hi

I've only been working at Sainsbury's for about 4 weeks, but the hours they make you do - minimum 12 hours a week - are really tiring, especially on top of 5 intense AS levels.

Also, I applied to Waitrose initially but got no reply, so I just took the job at Sainsbury's. But yesterday I got a call asking me to come to a group interview at Waitrose, and I want to work there.

So how do I go about leaving Sainsbury's? I was never told at my interview!

Thanks

Yeah hand in a letter to your manager/HR department and you should be able to leave almost immediatly. Although, are you sure waitrose would be any different? I think they have minimum hours too, if you are doing 5 intense A levels and youre struggling with the work load, why work at all?
Reply 4
If you can't handle the 12 hours a week at Sainsbury's.. then why get another job where you will probably have to work similar hours?
Reply 5
How often do you get paid... normally an indication of your period of notice. Just write a letter saying I am leaving on this date and it was nice working for you, thanks, bye. P.S Dont forget my holiday pay.
becky.fm
If you can't handle the 12 hours a week at Sainsbury's.. then why get another job where you will probably have to work similar hours?

im in the same predicment as the original poster, and if the persons like me, then the problem isn't thw work, but the hrs.
eg- i think if the op gets a job one day a week, then cheesy will take it
i dont know the minimum hrs of waitrose, but i knw from their thread that many people just work one 6 hr sift a week, eg on sunday

but i will quit by giving them my notice and saying "i know this ain't dragons den but i'm out!"- i doubt i'll do this tmr when i quit nonetheless, lol.
Normaly youd have to hand in a letter of resignation giving 4 weeks notice...

Although you mite only have to give a week or so's notice if youve only been working there that long...
I'd take the easy way out, and just not show up for work. Ignore their calls. They'll get the message!
SuicideCommando
I'd take the easy way out, and just not show up for work. Ignore their calls. They'll get the message!

but then cheesymunckin can't use it for references as they wont give her a good reference

and roobagnall i think once you've passed the 4weeks stage you must give in 4 weeks notice
gunners r us
but then cheesymunckin can't use it for references as they wont give her a good reference

and roobagnall i think once you've passed the 4weeks stage you must give in 4 weeks notice

I doubt they'd put much for a reference, if one at all, if they've only been there 4 weeks.
Just tell your manager you can't handle the hours with school.
I have a friend who works at Waitrose, and he does Thursdays 5-9, and Sundays 11-5, or something like that.

So not too bad?
Reply 13
Say - You didn't make my life taste better, I couldn't feed my family for a fiver unless I gave them spagbol every night, and I'm sick of the sight of Jamie Flippin' Oliver! So here's my notice. -

Job Done :biggrin:

These things have to be done with a bit of humour
Just give a letter to your manager or HR stating that you're struggling with the hours and have another job lined up and would like to leave on x date and that you'll miss working there but that's life.

I worked in Tescos, 3 3/4 hours a week on Friday night and 8 1/2 on Saturdays. I had no life and so I found my current cleaning job and left Tesco that week :biggrin:
Thanks guys!

I looked at my contract this morning (something I guess I should have done in the first place...) and it says if you've worked there for more than 4 weeks you need to give 4 weeks notice. I've only been there for 3, so I'm gonna write a letter and hand it in tomorrow.

Love the idea uthred50. Although I'd be a bit scared of the woman in charge's reaction....
Anyway, i don't really need a reference as I've already given Waitrose my references from before!

I've decided to go to the Waitrose interview, and if I get the job, only take it if the hours are realistic and fit in with work/social life. If not, I'll just wait and see if anything else comes up!

Thanks again :biggrin:
SuicideCommando

However, if a few years down the line, OP is in the position to apply for a good, well-paid management job and Sainsbury's has something going that fits the bill, they would be ****** as their record at the company would be poor, and they would most likely hold that against the applicant. It's unlikely they will be applying for a job at Sainsburys again, but still, don't burn your bridges behind you.
Reply 17
burninginme
However, if a few years down the line, OP is in the position to apply for a good, well-paid management job and Sainsbury's has something going that fits the bill, they would be ****** as their record at the company would be poor, and they would most likely hold that against the applicant. It's unlikely they will be applying for a job at Sainsburys again, but still, don't burn your bridges behind you.

You may also need a reference.
bit silly tbh, im at six form and i work 12+ hours a week, i find it absolutely fine and my job is great, you really should give it more time and if you are going to leave you should have thought about it before you took the job from other applicants
willsowerz!!
bit silly tbh, im at six form and i work 12+ hours a week, i find it absolutely fine and my job is great, you really should give it more time and if you are going to leave you should have thought about it before you took the job from other applicants

1. not everyone's you
2. The op obviously didn't know this before

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending