The Student Room Group

What is more respected - Biology or Computing?

I started Computing and found it quite boring, and also the Binary part of the course quite difficult. For the first couple of weeks I stuck it out, but still found it quite boring. When I applied, I considered Biology, but thought I might find it a bit difficult, but after a couple of weeks of finding Computing boring and difficult, I decided to give Biology a go. I came to an agreement with the school that I could try Biology for the rest of the week, and if all is fine, stick with it, and if it's not, change back to Computing as I wouldn't have missed too much. So in total I've had 3 Biology lessons.

While Biology doesn't seem any easier than Computing, it certainly seems more interesting, but the grass definately isn't as green on the other side as I thought it would be. While I found the Maths difficult in Computing, Biology has brought new problems with it, mainly the rediculous amount to memorize.

So I'm a bit stuck really, I have to make my final decision on Monday, as whether to stick with Biology, or change back to Computing. I'm not sure what to do. While I find Biology is certainly more interesting and varied than Computing, it is debatabley quite a bit more difficult, and certainly no easier.

To a university, what is considered more respectable? Biology or Computing? I'm told that some universities consider Biology a bit of a soft science, is Computing considered equally a soft science.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply 1
What do you wanna do at uni
Reply 2
Biology is probably seen comparatively softer than Physics, Chemistry or Maths, but I wouldn't say that it's not respected - it's certainly academically rigorous and traditional. But yes, what do you want to do at university? I wouldn't base your decision on solely whether one is more respected than the other.
biology is more respected by a long way , but dont worry about that, do what you want to do :smile:
Reply 4
boy
What do you wanna do at uni

I don't really know to be honest, however, I've considered Psychology, and Zoology. Obviously, I know for Zoology, Biology is a vital subject, but I'm not sure if it would be open to me as I'm not doing another science. Also, I'm aware in most cases Computer Science would be closed to be as you don't even need Computing for entry, and I'm not doing Maths.

Thanks
Reply 5
biology (thats not just cos im doing it at uni :P)
Reply 6
I'd say biology is much more respected.
Biology is very well respected. The amount of Maths really is minimal compared to Chemistry and Physics, and if you're more interested in it then hopefully you'll be more motivated to learn it come revision-time.
By the time you get to A2 Computing, you will regret taking it - trust me on that. I took AS Biology, Chemistry, Computing and Mathematics and was faced amongst the struggles you are currently facing. If you have to make a choice between Biology and Computing, I'd choose Biology since you've developed an interest already, which you'll understand to appreciate as the course goes on.
The Binary part of computing is only a fraction of the syllabus. There's a lot of hardware and you need to learn some ASM for year 2. Binary's simple once you get your head round it. If you can code, and enjoy programming, I'd recommend doing computing.
If you've never programmed in your life, I'd go with Biology. Programming's a skill that's learned best over nights of coffee and sleep deprivation, not in a class of 20 kids (my 2 cents)
Saying that, you do need to remember a stupid amount of facts for biology. And the synoptic paper requires you to remember it all :tongue:
Reply 10
Computing's gonna be easier, do that.

Latest