The Student Room Group

Not sure if I should carry on?

I want to do medicine but a lot stopped me from concentrating during my GCSE's and that's the honest truth, I had a tough time at home. :frown:

I just want to know if I should just forget about medicine with the GCSE's I have:

0.5 A*: short course RE
4 A: english lit; english lang; graphics; science
2 B: art; science
3.5 C: maths :frown: german, history, short course citizenship

I'm more worried about my maths grade being a C. I also really want to study at Liverpool uni.

Should i just forget about doing med now or just work extra hard at my As/A levels?

I've basically been laughed at by the people in my school when i say i want to apply for medicine because they have far better gcse's for med than i do..

It's really making me unhappy because I can't change the past now but I don't know what else to do really and I can't see myself wanting to apply for anything else.

Any advice? :frown:
Reply 1
If you think that your a level results are good enough then see which universities ignore GCSE

however dont be too hopeful
Reply 2
Try not to get attached to any one medical school, it will lead to great disappointment if you don't get in.
Reply 3
The maths might be a problem, unless you can provide evidence for mitigation.

There are always more than one way to skin a cat too, if you want to be a doctor that badly, there is always a way - it might not be easy, or immediate, but perseverence and hard work usually pays off.

That said, save for your maths, your other grades are more than fine for medicine. It might be worth emailing medical schools you like and see what they say.

Chin up - it's never over until the fat lady sings and all that jazz!

xx
Reply 4
DrDomDom
Tough question. You could go through with the idea, but you would have to do well in your ASs and get good predicted grades, then murder your PS/ work experience. Advantage that you have: time. You have a long time to get a load of work experience down, and to think about your PS etc.

Also, you have the time to do the research as to where doesnt look too much at GCSEs, or where you meet the minimum GCSE requirements - you would have to pick your choices carefully, but you could still do it. No lie, it would be hard, and if you got rejected first time around, like most of us fear, there is the option of reapplying, at which point you would already have your Alevels, and GCSEs would be less important.

Theres the option of graduate entry, but its a little early to think about that really.

Lots to consider for you.

thank you :smile: one question, how would i go about finding what unis concentrate on gcse grades?
Reply 5
Fluffy
The maths might be a problem, unless you can provide evidence for mitigation.

There are always more than one way to skin a cat too, if you want to be a doctor that badly, there is always a way - it might not be easy, or immediate, but perseverence and hard work usually pays off.

That said, save for your maths, your other grades are more than fine for medicine. It might be worth emailing medical schools you like and see what they say.

Chin up - it's never over until the fat lady sings and all that jazz!

xx

thanks for that :smile: i don't know if it makes a difference but I did take my maths GCSE in year 10 instead of year 11 because they were getting rid of the intermediate paper and i wasn't entered for higher..which is a lot of the reason i got a C, i took it much too early..
Reply 6
Email medical schools explaining that - your A and B grades in English and Science will give them an indicator of your true ability...
Reply 7
Unfortunately, one of the entry requirement for Liverpool for Medicine is 14/15 points at GCSE where A*/A = 2 and B= 1 whilst C onwards= 0

Therefore, based on what you have provided, you don't meet the requirements.
Reply 8
Do not give up hop but be realistic :
it will be tough for you to get a place on a medicine course with a C in maths and only an AB in double science especially as you don't have an independently verifiable set of mitigating circumstances, (your maths teachers should be shot for madness poor grade but you must shoulder some of the blame for not showing enough potenetial to be put into the higher level course). IF your heart is set on medicine then with good A-levels, you may well find it easier to do a science BA and then take a 4 year graduate conversion course (with extensive work experience in nursing or other healthcare related professions aswell)
Reply 9
---
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending