The Student Room Group

Needing advise on UCAS application

Alright, I'm applying to an Meng Mechanical Engineering course. I would really like to know what my chances are of getting an offer to a university that requires 3 As when my AS results look like this.

Computing B, Maths C, Physics C, Art D.

Predicted grades

Computing B, Maths B, Physics C or B, Art ?(Not sure, the previous 3 matter the most).

I really did flop my ASs but I'm confident with resits and hard work I can get 3 As. Regardless of what is said I will apply for 2 AAAs 2 BBBs and 1 lower university but I would like to know my chances with a very good personal statement. Thank you.
Reply 1
Not good.

You really want to match your predicted with the required a levels, or you have to make up with a smashin personal statement and reference. but even that you can maybe only drop off a grade or two. not that many.

sorry mate.
Reply 2
They go off predicted grades. You need to get predicted three A's if you want a shot at a uni that requires that number (bit of a no-brainer). BBB looks like a good back up though.
Reply 3
Your chances are very very slim. Here's why: you say you feel you can get 3 As, and perhaps you can. Perhaps you will. But why would a university take that gamble on you, especially an AAA university which probably has more enough people applying with AAA or AAB, predicted AAA and good personal statements to fill up their places?

As people have said, it would be different if you were predicted AAA, but to universities you're just a piece of paper. They don't know you're going to work hard, they don't know you can bring your grades up to an A, all they know is that your teachers don't think you can and that's what they're going to go on.

Have you thought about doing retakes, taking a gap year and applying post A level?
Reply 4
Im not applying for mechanical engineering but for law so i may not be the expert here, but i dont think that your chances will be too remote.

As long as you can show that you have a passion for what you want to do in your personal statement then you should have a realistic chance at getting interviews, and if you do get an interview you will be able to show how much you want to be there and how you are able to get the grades so you should be okay.

However if they do give you the offers they will still be offers of 3A's, so you really will have to work, work, work this year.

Good luck dude.
Reply 5
Pr0tégé
Alright, I'm applying to an Meng Mechanical Engineering course. I would really like to know what my chances are of getting an offer to a university that requires 3 As when my AS results look like this.

Computing B, Maths C, Physics C, Art D.

Predicted grades

Computing B, Maths B, Physics C or B, Art ?(Not sure, the previous 3 matter the most).

I really did flop my ASs but I'm confident with resits and hard work I can get 3 As. Regardless of what is said I will apply for 2 AAAs 2 BBBs and 1 lower university but I would like to know my chances with a very good personal statement. Thank you.

you got little or no chance dude of getting an offer from a AAA uni. Your predicted grades are way too low for a AAA uni. I would reconsider applying this year if you have your heart set on a AAA uni. I was in the exact same position this time last year and ended up not applying and focused on resitting my AS modules. Worked out ok in the end and i would suggest you do the same if you dont mind taking a gap year.
Reply 6
oldrafiki

Have you thought about doing retakes, taking a gap year and applying post A level?

I understand what your saying. I am definitely doing retakes and a gap year is an option, if I get into a back-up and I manage to get 3 As i will take a gap year. Obviously Ideal situation would be to go straight to Uni.

Thanks everyone for your posts, I've got a careers interview tomorrow morning where they will undoubtedly say the same thing but I will stick to the plan now all I need is some help with actually University choices. I tried to reignite the top engineering university thread in another section of the site but its not going well lol. So Ill just put a bit of info here.

I went Southampton and they seemed good and a student there told me a good back up would be Liverpool which takes BBB I think. So right now my solid 3 are:

1. Southampton
2. Manchester / Bath
3. Liverpool

Need some help deciding between Manchester and Bath because I'm pretty sure I can't hope to get into a AAA uni when I've got it down as 3rd choice. The last two I need help on and I don't want to say in London hence Imperial not being on my list. Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending