The Student Room Group

Veterinary Nursing

Ok, I am really interested in doing veterinary nursing, but I'm not sure what/how much work experience I need to do to have a good chance when applying. So far I have done:
-three weeks (minus a couple of days) at 3 BHS yards (one was also a stud)
-3 days (altogether) at two veterinary surgeries
-3 months (3 hours per week) at Riding for the Disabled
-6 week puppy training course (minus 2 weeks so I went to 4 sessions)
I am also booked for:
-2 weeks at Whipsnade Wild Animal Park
-1 week at Writtle College
-1 week at a riding and arabian centre
I've also been riding for 11 years but not quite sure how that will fit with veterinary nursing!

Any ideas? Thanks!
bubbles_jackson
Ok, I am really interested in doing veterinary nursing, but I'm not sure what/how much work experience I need to do to have a good chance when applying. So far I have done:
-three weeks (minus a couple of days) at 3 BHS yards (one was also a stud)
-3 days (altogether) at two veterinary surgeries
-3 months (3 hours per week) at Riding for the Disabled
-6 week puppy training course (minus 2 weeks so I went to 4 sessions)
I am also booked for:
-2 weeks at Whipsnade Wild Animal Park
-1 week at Writtle College
-1 week at a riding and arabian centre
I've also been riding for 11 years but not quite sure how that will fit with veterinary nursing!

Any ideas? Thanks!

look in the uni prospectuses. and i'm sure it'll be less demanding than vet med so i think u're fine with ur CV. :wink:
yea actually with your experience u stand a very good chance with vet med..but i guess some people prefer the nursing bit as opposed to opening animals up :rolleyes:
Well, yeah it is partly to do with having more contact with the animals which the vets don't seem to get as much as the nurses, and also to do with my grades - there is no way my grades are good enough to get me into the veterinary medicine! Also, I'm looking to get into the RSPCA, and seeing as you can't apply until you are 22 (I don't think anyway) I thought that if I did the veterinary nursing, one - it would be really helpful in applying for that becuase I could be a nurse for the RSPCA (....obviously!!) and two - if I failed in that application, it leaves me available to do veterinary nursing outside the RSPCA
you sound like you really love animals a lot. :smile: that's very nice of you. wish you the best of luck!!

in HK...we only have 2 vet nurses who actually HAS the vet nurse diploma. yes...2 in the entire HK. all the other "nurses" are effectively just translators (almost all hk vets are from other countries so don't speak cantonese) and their knowledge of animals are just picked up along the way as they work. seems kinda ridiculous in a way...but then i guess come to think of it...it was probably the only reason why i was actually allowed to do the work vet nurses really do during my work experience!! :rolleyes:
Sorry to be annoying - but whats HK? Yeah, I really do love animals! Also looking into an Equine Science degree, again to get me into the RSPCA but into an equine bit (if that exists...really should find that out!!) Thanks :smile:
Ok, after looking at your location, I'm guessin HK means Honk Kong? Probably should have looked at that before I posted! Sorry!!
bubbles_jackson
Ok, after looking at your location, I'm guessin HK means Honk Kong? Probably should have looked at that before I posted! Sorry!!

HAHA
Great thanks, but I haven't taken physics or chemistry a-s because I wouldn't have got very far with them! Thanks though :-)

Latest