The Student Room Group
Yes, of course. You will have been allocated to their college.
AnnaBelle142
When they interview you, do admissions tutors know whether you've made an open application or not?

I'm not sure whether or not they would; I read an article ages ago, that had been posted on TSR, that outlined the process.

I suspect that the admissions office will know, as they do the paperwork, but that the actual Fellows interviewing you won't because they've not bothered to find out.

Either way, it doesn't actually matter, because at interview the interviewers are specifically asked not to question applicants about the reasons why they chose that particular college- because they got stupid answers, like "It's got the same name as my cat" or "I had baked beans there at an open day" or anything; as long as you don't specifically mention it, and they wouldn't ask you a question that required it as an answer, then no-one need know. :smile:
Reply 3
I remember seeing my interviewers having my CAF, so they would have been able to easily find out whether I made a direct application or not. But now that the CAF has been abolished... hmmm.
I'm not sure. I don't think it would matter because they don't ask why you apply to the college (given that so many people don't these days).
Zhen Lin
I remember seeing my interviewers having my CAF, so they would have been able to easily find out whether I made a direct application or not. But now that the CAF has been abolished... hmmm.

There is still the SAQ, though.

It doesn't matter whether they know or not, anyway; they are looking for the best applicants that match their requirments, not the ones that flatter them the most by applying to their particular college.
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies :smile: ...I was just curious to know what kind of information the admissions tutors had.. I know it won't make a difference but it's good to know
Reply 7
AnnaBelle142
Thanks for the replies :smile: ...I was just curious to know what kind of information the admissions tutors had.. I know it won't make a difference but it's good to know

I'd say assume they know everything about your application, it's the safest bet.
Reply 8
Generally, yes, we do. Central Admissions write the name of the allocated college in and it's typically in a different pen and handwriting from the applicant's.

The follow on question is: could we care less? No, we couldn't.
Reply 9
Admissions tutors know everything. They are Gods. When you meet one, the correct protocol requires you to kneel down and stare at the floor until they address you, if they require a response from you, you must reply in Latin while doing a headstand and juggling ice cream cones.

Good luck with your application.
Reply 10
My interviewer knew that I made an open application - I interviewed overseas (in late October), and I remember my interviewer being a bit apologetic about how I had already been allocated a college but he was unable to find out which college for me at that time due to system/internet/etc problems (or something along those lines).

But like Zhen Lin says, things might have changed since they abolished the CAF...
psyche87
But like Zhen Lin says, things might have changed since they abolished the CAF...

And, as Camdon confirms, they haven't. As you may have gathered from the user name, Camdon is a Cambridge don.
Reply 12
FadeToBlackout
I'm not sure whether or not they would; I read an article ages ago, that had been posted on TSR, that outlined the process.

I suspect that the admissions office will know, as they do the paperwork, but that the actual Fellows interviewing you won't because they've not bothered to find out.

Either way, it doesn't actually matter, because at interview the interviewers are specifically asked not to question applicants about the reasons why they chose that particular college- because they got stupid answers, like "It's got the same name as my cat" or "I had baked beans there at an open day" or anything; as long as you don't specifically mention it, and they wouldn't ask you a question that required it as an answer, then no-one need know. :smile:

Funnily enough, some admissions interviewers still ask you why you applied to a particular college - 'off the record'. My interviewer asked me, and so did a few for other people I know.
Although it's usually for friendly chat purposes/looking for open day successes rather than relating to the interview.
Reply 14
Good bloke
And, as Camdon confirms, they haven't. As you may have gathered from the user name, Camdon is a Cambridge don.

I don't actually see the relationship between what was said and that there has been no change since abolishing the CAF:

Camdon
Generally, yes, we do. Central Admissions write the name of the allocated college in and it's typically in a different pen and handwriting from the applicant's.

Which I took to refer to the old system where applications were handwritten on the CAF, as this probably wouldn't apply under the new system where no handwriting seems to be involved for Home and EU students, with everything being online (UCAS and a Supplementary Application Questionnaire) -http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/info/news.html.

However, what Camdon referred to might still be possible if you're applying from overseas, as they've converted the CAF and SAQ that we used to fill in previously into the COAF, which still appears to be handwritten.

(Of course, I could be wrong, as I'm not going through the current applications cycle and so have only a very superficial knowledge of how the system works without the CAF - but that is the way I currently understand it.)
As I understand it the CAF has simply been replaced by an enhanced SAQ for UK applicants. My recollection is hazy, but the college choice also goes on the UCAS application itself, doesn't it?
Reply 16
Yes, the college choice does go on the main UCAS form itself. Or at least it did a few years ago.
I got asked why I'd chosen my college, but I'm convinced that the only reason anyone would ask would be that it's a nice chatty question to ask to calm peoples' nerves. This is probably only really works because people are so convinced that they will be asked it that they'll know what they'd say in response. It pays to use a bit of common sense in all of these kinds of questions, though: Why would a fellow/admissions tutor care if you'd made an open application?
Reply 17
psyche87
However, what Camdon referred to might still be possible if you're applying from overseas, as they've converted the CAF and SAQ that we used to fill in previously into the COAF, which still appears to be handwritten.

Actually, the COAF already existed in the previous application cycle - I had to fill one.

Latest

Trending

Trending