The Student Room Group

GKT vs. HYMS vs. BSMS

This poll is closed

Permutations & Combinations (S1 is finally useful haha!)

Hull York Medical School & King's College London6%
King's College London & Brighton and Sussex Medical School68%
Brighton and Sussex Medical School & Hull York Medical School19%
Other?6%
Total votes: 31
Okay I have less than 24 hours to basically decide on two of these three choices since tomorrow is the final *SCHOOL* deadline for all medics / Oxbridge applicants. I'd like to say I could decide by myself but I really can't. I thought I had decided everything until today when I requested my form tutor to unlock my application before finally sending it off. I added a fifth back-up for Biomedical Sciences at QMUL and am now faced with this underlining worry about my choices. If there was an award for the most indecisive user here on TSR, I'd be up for nominations for sure - I appreciate how ridiculous this might seem since I'm pretty much basing two of my choices on the opinions of fellow applicants and current medics.

I'm 100% set on applying to UCL and SGUL. I'm just left with these three and I need to pick two of them by tonight. I know I said I'd risk it and apply to King's since I loved the open day but I can't help feel like a coward and reflect on how devestated I would be to get rejected without interview. Hull York silently crept away from my list of choices ever since I read up and reconsidered Brighton & Sussex but now I'm back to reconsidering it since I can't help feel attracted back to it since I'm keen on PBL within a small circle of medics. What distracted me about BSMS was the location and their minimal use of the UKCAT in admissions. I love how BSMS and HYMS offer AAB with some give way with Chemistry (which is the subject I'm most concerned about right now) and I'd feel a lot less pressure to meet an AAB offer than AAA one if I was to even get to that stage. I just believe it is important to be realistic with the offers too. Then again I feel I underestimate myself too much and feel that I am capable of applying to King's as one of my choices.

So much to consider in such a short period of time. What would you do honestly? I've weighed up some of my areas of concerns. I care more about becoming a doctor and getting that one offer than just throwing my entire application away to places I am attached to.
Reply 1
Wow, you'd win Hands Down, no contest.
You mean the deadline at your School yea?

Honestly Just Apply to Kings, i think you'll be surprised, read through there admissions policy and if you still want to then go for it.
As for BSMS and HYMS, i honestly don't know what to say, other than :
Which one do you like better Based on the Following Factors:

Location?
Course Type?
Admissions Procedure?
Competition?
Teaching Hospitals?
City/Night Life?
They are both Brand new so Resources wont be an issue.

The one which is better on those factors for you is the one you should apply to.
Reply 2
DrDomDom
When the hell did you get a warning level of 5?! ^^

Had an argument With M4r0nan
Reply 3
It seems from reading what you have said that your heart is set on Kings. Out of the other two I would go for BSMS.

But then I would say that...
Reply 4
go for kings!! seriously. you love the school!!
come on you gotta give yourself a chance!
you got 4A's on your AS come on dude. you have more than the academia needed!!!
and even if you dont get an interview, at least you TRIED. better than thinking .. WHAT IF ...
If I had the choice of ending up in Hull (near where I live) or Brighton, then I sure know where I'd rather be..!
Apply for King's, you obviously want to.
Then personally, I'd opt for BSMS, except there are silly transport links for the north (not a problem for you) to Brighton.
What is it you like about HYMS that BSMS can't give you?
I was in the same situation as you until I decided to go for Kings and BSMS. Seriously, just go for whichever one you want to or you'll end up asking yourself 'what if'. You either take the risk or you are willing to ask yourself that question later on, it's your choice. I felt the same way about Imperial as you feel about Kings.. and in the end I decided I'd rather not take the risk.
Reply 7
just go for kings - you've been whinging about it for weeks posting these sorts of threads all of the time
Reply 8
I am in the same position but i need to decide my 4th choice! I really want to go to Kings but my gcse's are average and my UKCAT is average! Either Keele, Kings or Leicester... I might just pick kings for the hell of it... I say Kings if your GCSE's are gd even if ur UKCAT is like 600 yeah? im sure i read that somewhere.....
I'm going to apply to King's and BSMS then. Thanks for the advice guys and girls. :smile:
Reply 10
good!
you'll do great =]]
now it's up to bmat.. and the unis themselves! :/
Reply 11
Good luck mate
!MEna
I'm going to apply to King's and BSMS then. Thanks for the advice guys and girls. :smile:

Ohh more competition...:p:

Good luck!
Reply 13
good luck with king's! i know how much you love it there.
Reply 14
!MEna

Great news :woo:

If you need any help or have any questions then feel free to drop me a PM :smile:
Hi, I am an international student trying to get some advice on whether my uni choices are attainable and I find myself in a similar situation to the one in this thread. I have a UKCAT score of 2710 (678) and for O levels (equivalent to your GCSEs), I have 6 A*s, 3 As and a B in chemistry. I will be doing my A levels in November and so far my predicted grades are:

Biology - A
Mathematics - A
Chemistry - B
Geography - A

I'm currently looking at Kings, St George, Glasgow, Cardiff, and Hull York and I'm having a hard time choosing. Can anyone tell me if I have a disadvantage with any of these unis considering that I have a B in chemistry? Is it risky for me to put two London unis? I really dont want to end up wasting a choice. Please advice. Thank you.
Reply 16
Have a look on a stats website jacquelinesia like in my signature or do a google search. thats teh easiest and most accurate way to find out.

Latest

Trending

Trending