The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

chances of getting in man uni?

i know manchester requirements are AAA/AAB, but i got ABB in a/s :frown:

im resitting 2 modules, which SHOULD bring that up to AAA

and im predicted AABB, maybe AAAB if i talk to my critical thinking tutor.

im just worried about my a/s results...i got my A in english lit which is what i want to do.

also, my gcse's were a bit appalling, i only got 5 a-c's, and none of them were maths. i resat that last year and got a C.

so 6 gcse a-c =/

i heard manchester are very picky...:frown: HELP

:confused: :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
does GCSE matter that much??
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
i hope not! :frown:
Reply 3
I don't think GCSEs count for that much, but have a great PS, be convincing at the interview and indeed, try to improve your grade, good luck ! :yep:
i just think if i got ABB last year, what are my chances of getting AAAB at A2?!

minimal i think. but thanks for advice :smile:
Reply 5
Not if you work hard enough to get them ! Don't give up hope, English is pretty competitive, but Manchester is a big uni and you may stand more chances than you think :yep:. For example, I missed my grades pretty badly, though they still gave me a place (ok, the competitivity of my degree is near 0, but still :colondollar:)
Reply 6
Put it this way...it is slim...I am not being mean...I know students who are really cleaver who have had ALL A* at GCSE, all As at A levels and still got rejected...
well, thats quite comforting! i live in manchester and have never eally wanted to go anywhere else really, apart from maybe york, which has the same requirements.

just have to work hard!
I got ABBB last year and I'm aiming for AAA/AAB this year, so it's not impossible. Work hard! I think the fact you want to go somewhere will really drive you to get the best grades possible!
Reply 9
alot of courses do require a*-c in gcse english and maths so just check entry requirements or email the university just to make sure :smile:
well i have A* english lit, A english lang, and after resitting now have a C in maths (and hope to never have to LOOK at another number again!)

i think the fact i really want to go will push me this year. i hope so!

thanks for all advice :smile: :smile:
Reply 11
Dont think GCSE's are worth any thing.. its more or less the rule throughout that your "best" academic level's are looked at (so GCSE's are looked at when applying to college... A levels when applying to uni.. and degree when applying for job)

Critical thinking is also on one of them ignore A level lists (along with general studies and key skills), this is the case for most uni's.

Im 1st year at Manchester, and i seriously messed up on my exams and only came out with 2 A-levels and still got in, and i'd say the course is quite competitive to an extent..
well some reassuring and some worrying advice...

thanks for it all anyway :biggrin:
Reply 13
My sister got all As at GCSE, AS and A2 and still got rejected by Manchester for English Lit - however she did get accepted by York which has a much better reputation for the subject and was her first choice so it was okay. Think your Personal Statement makes a big difference so make sure yours is a killer! Good luck
Reply 14
im the same as you!
i got AAC this year at AS and am predicted AAB
and got AAABBBBBCCD at gcse
but i am retaking maths (i got a C) and double science (B)

i feel very reluctant to apply to unis such as mancester and birmingham because i know all the other applicants will have 10 A*s :frown:
Reply 15
you don't need 10 A*s at GCSE to get into Manchester... lol..

I got As and Bs at GCSE, then ended up with AAC at A Level- needed ABC to get in!
Reply 16
i want to study psychology though... where most people will have much higher grades than me
is there any point in applying.. even if im aiming to get AAA?
leeming
Critical thinking is also on one of them ignore A level lists

No, no, no, not in the least. I loved Critical Thinking, it is a really worthwhile subject. However, most universities do not consider it on a par with other A-Levels as it simply requires less teaching/learning -- that is not to say that they ignore it by any stretch of the imagination though.
ABC to get in man uni?

=/
Reply 19
Do you mean that in the "that is too high" or "that is too low" way? lol

Latest

Trending

Trending