The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Neither should be in your PS
Reply 2
"out of 8" sounds awkward in that sentence.
Reply 3
The first one :yep:
Because otherwise you're like "Woaw 6 !" and then "Ah, out of 8. Could have done better" :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Yes supposedly your not supposed to talk about your results in the PS as they can already see you received 6 distinctions. If it's just a link onto something else, well then i'd go for number one.
But it's not GCSE or A-Levels. Not even equivalent. And it's not in the education section of UCAS.
Reply 6
Syafiquaaa
But it's not GCSE or A-Levels. Not even equivalent. And it's not in the education section of UCAS.

Oh if it's something that's extra then that would be good to talk about, such as a qualification/achievement not in the UCAS application. That's fine.
Reply 7
Pixels
Oh if it's something that's extra then that would be good to talk about, such as a qualification/achievement not in the UCAS application. That's fine.

No, it needs to be discussed in the reference.
Juno

But I did the exam in a different school and country.
Reply 9
Syafiquaaa

you dont have to discuss it....i did exams in a different country and school and didnt mention it in my reference or PS....just add it under the education section....
neither imo
Reply 11
Syafiquaaa

So? Unis will know about some non-UK qualifications, since a lot of international students apply each year. Even if they haven't experienced it, they can look up the information. Your sentence as it stands is hardly giving essential information.
Reply 12
Juno
Neither should be in your PS

not particularly helpful of you, you could have given a reason, is this what the PS helping is like on this site?
Juno
So? Unis will know about some non-UK qualifications, since a lot of international students apply each year. Even if they haven't experienced it, they can look up the information. Your sentence as it stands is hardly giving essential information.

Alright thanks, I think I should follow your advice!
Juno

And you are dictator of the rules of personal statements?

You're allowed to put what you want in it. Blow your own trumpet, and be proud of what you're proud of. You acheived it, well done. Say it loud and proud.
Drummer23

You're allowed to put what you want in it. Blow your own trumpet, and be proud of what you're proud of. You acheived it, well done. Say it loud and proud.

You can put any old twaddle in your PS, but that does not make it advisable. Just because you are proud of it does not mean that the PS is the appropriate place for it, nor that the admissions tutors want to read it.

Juno, as usual, is quite right; this is something for the reference if possible - and not a good topic for the PS.
Reply 16
Drummer23

Using that logic, you might as well use the word "Kwyjibo".

Although it is your PS and you can include what you like, some things do work better than others.
I disagree. You want to show them your passion for their subject, but also prove to them your that great kind of student they need.

Edit: And i apologise for the possibly unnecassary sarcasm.
Editedit: ad thank you for your moderated response to my grumpyness. =)
Drummer23
I disagree. You want to show them your passion for their subject, but also prove to them your that great kind of student they need.

You seem to be missing the point that just because you can do something does not make it the best strategy.

Space in the PS is at a premium and the sort of thing suggested here (a recap of a candidate's academic record) is not what is expected to be seen in a PS and can usefully be accommodated elsewhere (the reference) with no detriment to the candidate, leaving the space for something that can't go into the reference.

Not only does including it in the PS waste this space, but it works against the applicant in another way by demonstrating clearly to the admissions tutor that establishing priorities is not a strong point of the candidate.
Good bloke
it works against the applicant in another way by demonstrating clearly to the admissions tutor that establishing priorities is not a strong point of the candidate.

Maybe peoples prioroties are different - not all the same as yours. If every statement conformed to the dictated structure you seem to want there'd be no individuality. In this sense its being used to lead into a new point - probably about academic skill, ambition and motivation, and there's no reason it shouldn't be there.

Latest

Trending

Trending