The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Alaric
It's never nice to be rude, but if you fail, you fail I don't see how they'd take her back :confused:
Which is a lesson to all you first years, don't go getting a fail, it's not clever to spend all your time having fun and drinking and ending up with a fail! Take your work to the bar with you!

Are you and Helen talking about the same person btw?

No, I'm talking about someone from a different college. As Nicky said, I do think they should have examined their teaching as from what I've heard none of the engineers at that college did as well as expected. This person in particular was very hard working! Even so, the main problem I had was the fact that they didn't even speak to her about not allowing her back - they just ignored her. Perhaps no college would have allowed her back to do Engineering, but surely some would have discussed the possibility of re-starting or swapping courses, or even have helped her find another university.
fishpaste
Has anybody ever actually taken work to the bar? ...I have :biggrin:

Yes, once - in exam term, when I was working behind the bar and there was absolutely no-one drinking. It seemed more productive to do some revision than to sit twiddling my thumbs!
Reply 82
Alaric, I thought the university publish the honours list every year, don't they? Where can I get them? Are they only avaible in paper format?
Camford
Alaric, I thought the university publish the honours list every year, don't they? Where can I get them? Are they only avaible in paper format?

Should be in the Reporter, but yes only in paper form - they're not available online.
musicboy
me?

MB

Oh yeah, I forgot about you! But then, you don't like Sibelius so you're just not normal :wink:
MadNatSci
Oh yeah, I forgot about you! But then, you don't like Sibelius so you're just not normal :wink:

I don't dislike. I just ddon't think he's as wonderful as you do. I'm in a room next to the biggest sibelius/nielsen fan in cam. I have to live with this stuff coming through my wall.

MB
Reply 86
MadNatSci
Should be in the Reporter, but yes only in paper form - they're not available online.

Bugger. Discrimination against computer geeks. I smell a law suit coming out of this thread.
Reply 87
MadNatSci

What or who is Sibelius anyway?
Camford
What or who is Sibelius anyway?

20th century Finnish composer; wrote some amazingly beautiful symphonies, especially considering he's fairly modern :smile: You've quite possibly heard Finlandia even if you don't know the name...
musicboy
I don't dislike. I just ddon't think he's as wonderful as you do. I'm in a room next to the biggest sibelius/nielsen fan in cam. I have to live with this stuff coming through my wall.

MB

Is that why you don't like it here?! :biggrin:

It is a shame that you've not found it as much fun as most of us have; have you tried joining some university societies? Perhaps you just don't get on with many people in your college, but there should be some like-minded people in the university somewhere!
Reply 90
MadNatSci
20th century Finnish composer; wrote some amazingly beautiful symphonies, especially considering he's fairly modern :smile: You've quite possibly heard Finlandia even if you don't know the name...

I'll probably borrow one of his CDs next time I visit the library.
MadNatSci
Is that why you don't like it here?! :biggrin:

It is a shame that you've not found it as much fun as most of us have; have you tried joining some university societies? Perhaps you just don't get on with many people in your college, but there should be some like-minded people in the university somewhere!

During term-time I go to the union every week and have meet a few eople there and am on the Robinson students association committee. Apart from that I have little spare time as I insist on reading 4 newspapers a day and can't seem to ween myself off - I know it's my own fault. By the time I've finished work each day I can't be bothered to go anywhere apart from robinson br which of late has been serving some lovely dark heavy wintery ales.

MB
Reply 92
musicboy
During term-time I go to the union every week and have meet a few eople there and am on the Robinson students association committee. Apart from that I have little spare time as I insist on reading 4 newspapers a day and can't seem to ween myself off - I know it's my own fault. By the time I've finished work each day I can't be bothered to go anywhere apart from robinson br which of late has been serving some lovely dark heavy wintery ales.

MB

4 a day? why not just buy the week? all the really imporatnt information you need or use google alerts to find stories that interest you
notyourpunk
4 a day? why not just buy the week? all the really imporatnt information you need or use google alerts to find stories that interest you

well I read the grauniad, the inde, the times and the telegraph cover to cover during termtime (as I don't use thee TV in thee same way, well not at all really). I'll skim eveery article as I likee to keep up on daily politics aand media stuff and those papers give me a broad range of spectra as well as somee ideas on newsworthiness. Of course the times is getting more andd more rubbish but it's still worth reading.

MB
Reply 94
musicboy
well I read the grauniad, the inde, the times and the telegraph cover to cover during termtime (as I don't use thee TV in thee same way, well not at all really). I'll skim eveery article as I likee to keep up on daily politics aand media stuff and those papers give me a broad range of spectra as well as somee ideas on newsworthiness. Of course the times is getting more andd more rubbish but it's still worth reading.

MB

I'm going to do SPS and I don't do that much. I don't like the Times that much since it went tabloid but enjoy the telegraph, its a bit like the sun in some senses, just uses longer words. i quite like mark steyn (who write for the spectator as well and is very good) though i dont read it every day. i dont think i coud find the time to fit in four at the moment just the guardian and sun. i like to keep up but there are some sections that i dont bother with some columists who i know i dont enjoy. you can really compact it without actaully lsoing that much
notyourpunk
I'm going to do SPS and I don't do that much. I don't like the Times that much since it went tabloid but enjoy the telegraph, its a bit like the sun in some senses, just uses longer words. i quite like mark steyn (who write for the spectator as well and is very good) though i dont read it every day. i dont think i coud find the time to fit in four at the moment just the guardian and sun. i like to keep up but there are some sections that i dont bother with some columists who i know i dont enjoy. you can really compact it without actaully lsoing that much

Your going to Jesus aren't you? Yopu'll find lots of good argument/disccussion there with my brother, an SPS called Guy and a few others. They're a rigorous bunch but have loads of disagreements sso it's always a nice atmosphere. The times is awful these days but occasionally it will have a good article. The teleegraph is best for news reporting but I just can't stop myself laughing when I turn to opinion pieces/letters. Guardian is good all round if not a bit liberal for me and the inde is everything that the others aren't. I also get other news through the web particularly indymedia sites.

MB
Reply 96
sibelius is great.
having personally massacred the cor anglias solo in karelia suite i should know.
Reply 97
musicboy
Your going to Jesus aren't you? Yopu'll find lots of good argument/disccussion there with my brother, an SPS called Guy and a few others. They're a rigorous bunch but have loads of disagreements sso it's always a nice atmosphere. The times is awful these days but occasionally it will have a good article. The teleegraph is best for news reporting but I just can't stop myself laughing when I turn to opinion pieces/letters. Guardian is good all round if not a bit liberal for me and the inde is everything that the others aren't. I also get other news through the web particularly indymedia sites.

MB

guardian is best for me as it covers asian and african politics as well as globaliation better than most (even if columists klien and monbiot arent completely representative of the movement) what other periodoicals do you read? i try and read the ecologist (zac goldsmith is amazing! hear him speak!) spectator (gotta love boris) and occasionally economist
notyourpunk
guardian is best for me as it covers asian and african politics as well as globaliation better than most (even if columists klien and monbiot arent completely representative of the movement) what other periodoicals do you read? i try and read the ecologist (zac goldsmith is amazing! hear him speak!) spectator (gotta love boris) and occasionally economist

well that's a good range. Can I just recommend that you flick through the politics section of neew scientist as well - oftn has some very interesting stuff eeven if it's a trashy mag which all scientists hate (except the back pagee of course)

MB
Reply 99
musicboy
well that's a good range. Can I just recommend that you flick through the politics section of neew scientist as well - oftn has some very interesting stuff eeven if it's a trashy mag which all scientists hate (except the back pagee of course)

MB

whats on the back page? a scientirst wearing nothing but a lab coat?
will have a look at thanks for the tip
any ideas what the politics is like in jesus. im hoping to go upto cambridge and give the cambridge green party a good kick up the arse (if oxford can win councillors and a fair few of them there is no reason why cam cant)

Latest

Trending

Trending