The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't tip the porters. Ever. They'll think you're wrong in the head.
It's their job to help out in every circumstance which means tips are seen as odd, in the extreme.
Reply 3
Thank you very much! I am an international student and I don't know what is admissible.
Reply 4
I imagine you'd soon be broke...
Tipping anywhere outside of a restaurant/taxi cab is pretty unusual here.
Reply 6
Slightly off-topic, but how are typical porter-student relations? I imagine it's a mix of friendly and professional.
Does one ever go for a pint with a porter?
Reply 7
no. The most you're ever likely to do with them is have a chat late at night when you're both bored out of your wits. If you're on very good terms you might well be offered a cup of tea, but even that's pretty unusual.
Reply 8
so what exactly do they do?
Wilkin
so what exactly do they do?

What do you think happens in the Lodge after dark? :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Cookiewithmilk
What do you think happens in the Lodge after dark? :rolleyes:

lectures in foetus engineering?
Reply 11
didis
Is it appropriate/common to tip porters at the lodge in case they offer some help? How much?

They would probably find it quite insulting, to be honest.

Porters are all different. At one extreme, there are some who are quite stuffy and regard the college as their little castle into which you are basically trespassing! At the other end, you have some who really go out of their way every time to help you out and make sure you're OK.

If your porter has done something exceptionally helpful for you, or that has taken a special effort, offering to buy them a drink down the bar later would be fine though.
sporkonator
Slightly off-topic, but how are typical porter-student relations? I imagine it's a mix of friendly and professional.

Have you not met any of yours yet?

Mine are lovely - one of them gave me a hug when I turned up for my interview. :^_^:

I would never tip them, though... it seems like a bit of a derogatory thing to do.
Reply 13
*pitseleh*
Have you not met any of yours yet?

Mine are lovely - one of them gave me a hug when I turned up for my interview. :^_^:

I would never tip them, though... it seems like a bit of a derogatory thing to do.

That's exactly how I feel :s-smilie: I would never tip the porters :s-smilie:
Reply 14
A gift for the Head Porter on graduating is traditional, though.
Certainly I know our night porters well, as Im quite often in the JCR at silly times of the night/morning. They are really friendly guys and sometimes share some of the food the kitchen leaves out for them (this means things like big cakes :smile: ) I wouldnt tip them though as I also see this as being rather rude really, I would buy them a drink if I felt they needed rewarding and prehaps a present at christmas time if I felt particularly rich!
cpchem
A gift for the Head Porter on graduating is traditional, though.

Aye, but there's nothing patronising about giving a present, is there? :p: That sounds like a nice tradition. :smile:
Reply 17
sporkonator

Depends on the porter - eg, one of my friend's porters in the holidays for money. A couple are ex-students who are mutual friends. Others just drink in the bar because they like the bar man. Bill, Wadham's beloved ex-porter, was always good for a hug. I have had a cup of tea a few times in the past - mostly on open days, but once just because I was freezing and desperate for a drink!
[Insert]

:awesome:
Reply 19
what are their responsibilities? are they like security guards or something way too different? (yeah..i am international =)) ) for ex. do you call them or 911 (i suppose it is 999 in UK) when you see a stranger in the hallway?

Latest

Trending

Trending