The Student Room Group

History PS:intro makes me sound like i have a 'sensationalist interest in atrocities'

How big of a problem is this? I've more or less finished my personal statement, it's just my introduction (as pointed out by my teacher) makes me sound like I'm just into the 'fun extremes' in History--more specifically, 'atrocities'. I obviously don't phrase it like "I LOVE MADNESS", but still, it's hard to change the essence of my introduction. Dyou think the tutors would really not like this

In the rest of my PS, I go on to talk about other issues, of course, besides just incidents of dehumanization.
No, there has to be someone to study those areas however twisted they may or may not be. I don't think it should be a problem.
It can be a problem, since history is not about individual (and headline-making) incidents but about the investigation of evidence to establish a thesis which can then be argued. You'd be bbetter off establishing your interest in history, the subject, rather than incidents in history.
Reply 3
Good bloke
It can be a problem, since history is not about individual (and headline-making) incidents but about the investigation of evidence to establish a thesis which can then be argued. You'd be bbetter off establishing your interest in history, the subject, rather than incidents in history.

Nono, I don't mind individual incidents of atrocities. I mean the GENERAL area of atrocities in the study of history. As for 'the investigation of evidence to establish a thesis' I actually say something quite like that in my introduction, referring to my established interest in the 'extremes'. Is this ok then?

Edit: Oh, do you mean my introduction should say why I am interested in ALL history as a whole? The thing is I avoided doing so because I kept inevitably ending up with cliched phrases and statements..
As long as it's well-written, displays an avid interest, yet doesn't portray you as some sort of sympathiser (in the negative - as in a Nazi sympathiser), I don't see the problem. Also, if it makes you seem one-dimensional I'd view it as a bad thing.
nirvathema
Nono, I don't mind individual incidents of atrocities. I mean the GENERAL area of atrocities in the study of history. As for 'the investigation of evidence to establish a thesis' I actually say something quite like that in my introduction, referring to my established interest in the 'extremes'. Is this ok then?

Edit: Oh, do you mean my introduction should say why I am interested in ALL history as a whole? The thing is I avoided doing so because I kept inevitably ending up with cliched phrases and statements..

I see you have a special interest, but still think you need to let them know that you are interested in the process of historical study.
I was quite sensationalist in my PS. Actually, extremely so I talked a lot about singualr incidents and I just got an offe.r.. :s

Latest

Trending

Trending