The Student Room Group

An example of an ethical theory applied to modern politics?

I'm writing my personal statement and was thinking of saying about the Philosophy course something like..."During the philosophy course I was intrigued by the relevance of classical ethical theories to today’s politics, such as….." and now I can't think of any examples :s-smilie:

Could anyone help me with an example of say Kantian ethics/Utilitarianism/Natural law/Virtue ethics/Plato being applied to Politics today, say in a leadership style or concept of government?

I'm sure my teacher mentioned one but he's unfortunately left the school.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great- I literally can't think of anything :rolleyes:
Reply 1
Utilitarianism and funding allocation in the NHS?
There is abortion... Stem Cell testing was the only thing ever vetoed by George Bush that surely must count as controversial and highly political due to the ethics behind that.

Also there is euthanasia. a very recent case of the woman with multiple MS who wishes to die but its not allowed in England, and if her husband takes her to Switzerland where she would be allowed to kill herself, he will be prosecuted (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7644094.stm)
Reply 3
ahh great thanks for the ideas :smile:

Latest