The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
im so academic
No it isn't. If it was, why is Edexcel/AQA GCSE Art have a percentage of 98%+ for an A*? Well?

Oops, sorry, I must have misread your post; I thought you were suggesting adopting GCSE-style grades for university degrees.:s-smilie:
But anyway, university isn't school, where you essentially get marks for giving answers that tick the right boxes, so for one it's fairly easy to get a high percentage (provided you have an aptness for the subject and are willing to make a bit of an effort, obviously), wheareas for the other different things are required. The difference in percentages required for grades reflects just that. It's possible to get full marks in A-level English, for example, and every year there are a number of people who achieve just that, but I bet you wouldn't be able to find a single person who graduated from an English degree with an average of 100% last year (and you'd find precious few who averaged in the 80s or 90s).
im so academic
****. Really?! How on earth did you get that? Please PM me how you did that - honestly... :puppyeyes:

I got predicted A* from the first lesson. I was a bit cocky about it tbh, especially through A-level, where for my exam I did three big pieces (including the exam piece) and about three pieces in my sketchbook. I hedged my bets on quality over quantity but I wouldn't recommend this - the only other time I got 100% was in my AS exam, and I did a LOT of work for that.

It's all about development of ideas, experiment with lots of artists and media and write down everything you think or find out about it.

It is my talent tbh which is why everyone got a shock when I chose to do Law over Art at degree-level, but it was down to a few personal reasons that made me change my decision before it came to applying.

I'm going to aim for a First.

(no doubt it's easier said than done but I still am :p:.
necessarily benevolent
I'm going to aim for a First.

(no doubt it's easier said than done but I still am :p:.

Why not? It worked for me last year. It may not be as easy as ticking boxes like at A-level and GCSE, but there are still ways to find out how to achieve the marks, then it takes just a bit of your own time and determination to make your work stand out that bit more for the 70% boundary.
Hi guys,

I am student who just finished my first year at Uni (i'm doing BSc(Hons) Computer Science).

I got an 80 credit for my first year result. I have two exams i have to retake, so that may give me the chance to get an additional 40 credit.

I was wondering, what does my first year result count toward my overall result?

Am I currently on the right track? Also I am aiming to get a first class, so can someone give me pointers on thr marks i should be getting for the next two years?

Thanks.
Reply 25
My Dog Ate Homework!
Hi guys,

I am student who just finished my first year at Uni (i'm doing BSc(Hons) Computer Science).

I got an 80 credit for my first year result. I have two exams i have to retake, so that may give me the chance to get an additional 40 credit.

I was wondering, what does my first year result count toward my overall result?

Am I currently on the right track? Also I am aiming to get a first class, so can someone give me pointers on thr marks i should be getting for the next two years?

Thanks.

Realistically, if you do get an overall first you should be passing your first year and probably with a 2.1+ overall. Obviously there are cases where people completely fail their first year and excel in the second and third but it's pretty rare. If your first year does count towards your overall degree then you're probably going to be on an upwards struggle to get a first but if not then you just have to work that little bit harder next year and it could be possible.

As others here have mentioned, to get a first you need an overall 70% (distinction).
Mr_Deeds
Realistically, if you do get an overall first you should be passing your first year and probably with a 2.1+ overall. Obviously there are cases where people completely fail their first year and excel in the second and third but it's pretty rare. If your first year does count towards your overall degree then you're probably going to be on an upwards struggle to get a first but if not then you just have to work that little bit harder next year and it could be possible.

As others here have mentioned, to get a first you need an overall 70% (distinction).

Okay, thanks for the reply.

Latest

Trending

Trending