The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Elles
the impression i had...

obviously on a CV you'd state where your degree was from & perhaps even the college, but otherwise, in general usage, you only put the location in brackets when it's an honorary degree.

i.e. the MA your BA turns into after a certain number of years & if you pay some money. (do you guys know about this..? Oxbridge definitely do, i don't know about Durham. i don't see how being collegiate is relevant.. so's london, & in that case, surely youu'd give your college?)

& this is to indicate it's not a 'proper' masters, but an honourary one.. for example..

Me (eventually!) - MA (Oxon) MB ChB

& our Oxbridge co-ordinator wanted us to phone her at home to let her know over Christmas.. i was the first to apparently & she was very pleased! started slagging off 'all the foreigners' (NB - she was as indian as they come.. lovely woman though) at University X when i mentioned i wasn't entirely sure which to make my CF.. :rolleyes: :p:

I've met her actually - but I don't think she liked me :frown: She seemed very grumpy!
Reply 41
Toni Mag
I think 'Tab' = short for Cantabrigensis and i'm supposing that's the genv. case of the Roman name for Cambridge. equivalent for Oxford is 'Oxon.' but people don't call them 'oxen' thankfully!
most graduates - especially medical / dental schools - write the university in brackets after the degree. My dentist - BDS (Newcastle), and there are many 'MB(London)' about.
by the way, i have heard that 'tab' refer to the cambridge crest - lions passant or whatever - otherwise looking like cats (tabs, geddit?)

Cantabrigiensis, yes. Cambridge in Mediaeval Latin is Cantabrigia; Oxford is Oxonia, the genitive form Oxoniensis.
Reply 42
Squishy
Why would you think that? People stick (Lond) after their qualification if they graduated from one of the London colleges.

They may do so, but it is not traditionally correct :wink:

After a little research into the matter, the explantion Elles gave was correct. Ocford, Cambridge and Durham were the only universities to offer automatic MAs (although Durham have now stopped, I believe) so in order to differentiate between an earnt MA and an automating one, you listed cantab (or whichever was relevant) after your degree.
Reply 43
Louise_1988

After a little research into the matter, the explantion Elles gave was correct.

:elefant: a trivial fact i remembered was both correct & useful! yay...thank you. :biggrin: now to fill up my brain with useful facts that'll help me pass.. :wink:

chloe_sh

I've met her actually - but I don't think she liked me She seemed very grumpy!

ah, there are so many of us from my 6th form! presumably we've discussed this somewhere elsewhere before, i forget.. :p:

hmm, i think you just have to get to know her a little.. she seemed quite brusque when i first met her & she taught me english lit A2 in the summer term - but didn't really notice me at all in her class till after we did the post AS results meetings/UCAS form & she decided i was a 'strong candidate'.. slightly suspicious perhaps.. :rolleyes: but from then on she was lovely! ahem..
Reply 44
What if you do the Oxford MMAth, do you get an extra MA after the necessary period, or, because you've already got a Masters, not? :biggrin:
Reply 45
SsEe
We're not a school who sends 15-20 applicants a year but this year we have done really well. :smile:

Same here, but we have 5 in this year. The school are going to be so pleased when we go back!
Reply 46
_mad_moo_
Not really, but its almost uncomfortable bcos out of my friends four of us applied to oxbridge and only one didnt get in. Shes even avoiding us, its quite bad really.

I have that problem too. What do you do? How have you dealt with the situation. I haven't gone back to school yet and am worried that there'll be loads of Oxbridge talk and she'll get really upset. She applied to a different college for a different course but it must still be tough.
Reply 47
Louise_1988
cant tell you why, but what I do know is that Oxford, Cam, and durham are teh only unis where you list your university after your degree. Would be interested to know why it's only these three.

Does this actually have a significance? Does it increase your employability of something :confused: or does it just look cool :cool:
Phil23
Does this actually have a significance? Does it increase your employability of something :confused: or does it just look cool :cool:

Yes sort of. People from there are more employable, but as they will see your uni on the CV than writing it after your name means not very much.
Reply 49
Phil23
Does it increase your employability of something :confused: or does it just look cool :cool:

Neither, really. Apparently all degrees at Ox and Cam were MAs originally because having a degree obviously demonstrate an ability to teach the subject. They've kept with the MAs because the degrees are still rigorous enough to qualify you to teach your subject. So they give the MAs at the end of what would have been the standard length of a degree originally - 7 years from matric at Ox, and 6 years at Cam.
Reply 50
My school was reaaally nice about it :smile: only a few people who didn't get in withhold a bit of blatant bitterness, but with others I am already planning road-trips next year :smile:

Would an MA in general be that much of a bonus if it isn't in a subject related to your field of work?
Reply 51
hey waga admit u loved the daily hugs all week!

if u mean MA by masters i would think that a masters in natural sciences from cambridge would get you a position in many many lines of work. or just a masters in most subjects would too unless the position relies on the person's knowledge learnt at uni level. (ex: medics, nuclear physicists etc.. )
:biggrin:

WE LOVE YOU WAGA
Reply 52
bitterness and jealousy just makes me more glad that those people didn't get in....if they can't be mature enough to cope with a rejection of this sort (and lets face it, it's not going to be the biggest rejection they'll ever face) how do they expect to cope in later life? if they had got to oxbridge they would really have been put in their place, realising that they aren't actually the brightest people in the world, which school makes you think sometimes.
priya
bitterness and jealousy just makes me more glad that those people didn't get in....if they can't be mature enough to cope with a rejection of this sort (and lets face it, it's not going to be the biggest rejection they'll ever face) how do they expect to cope in later life? if they had got to oxbridge they would really have been put in their place, realising that they aren't actually the brightest people in the world, which school makes you think sometimes.

Think about it this wway - those who got rejected are far more likely to get a first.

MB
Reply 54
priya

So it's immature to be bitter at a personal failure, but mature to be pleased at someone else's misfortune? I can see how some bitterness on their part might make it hard for you to sympathise with them, but being glad seems to be taking it a bit too far.

Latest

Trending

Trending