The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
josie_bear2003
Here's what they say on the applications site...

"I don't have any lengthy journalism experience or training. Should I still apply?

Yes! One of our aims is to find talented and creative people who might have been put off the idea of a career as a broadcast journalist because of the training costs involved. By the way, we are very keen to hear from people who have perhaps had a long-time ambition to work in broadcast news but who - for whatever reason - have been pursuing a different career.

I'm already training to be a journalist. Can I apply?

If by that you mean that you are currently studying broadcast journalism at under-graduate or post graduate level then we are sorry but this scheme is not aimed at you. But keep reading the BBC Jobs Website as there may be more appropriate opportunities in the future. "

I really can't answer that question myself Demoskratos7 - if I could I wouldn't be so frustrated! I don't think it has anything to do with the academia value. Somebody with a Broadcast Journalism degree is far more prepared to enter into that field than somebody with an English degree. My course was 50% academic/theory (yes, we still had to do many essays like the rest of you) and 50% practical.

Technically we (being every human on Earth) are all coloured. My skin is not white, it is more of a peach. My dad tans easily and could be described as brown. A so called 'black' person is not actually black as the colour is defined. It goes on!

If you believe in evolution (as any intelligent person should), then you should realize that everyone's genes have been mixing for millions of years...how can you even link race, colour, nationality, ethnicity without looking stupid.
RedRiotRoses
Really? Cos i'm pretty sure i've heard black people refer to themselves as coloured. You can't really win anyway when discribing skin colour. You're racist either way.

Black is not a colour.
Reply 102
Does skin colour matter when you're getting mugged in the street? Maybe that's a question we hsould all be considering instead of getting caught up in such discussions...
Of course, it's really because they are the best people for the job, and it's nothing to do whatsoever with fulfilling quotas...
Reply 104
Yes, in the street.
ElvisAint-Dead
Why does it matter?
I think one of the reasons they also do it is to make children aware of different races, they might live in an area where they wont really see a black or asian person.

Ditto. I think it's a good idea, wish they did it more in Oz :teeth:

All about offering a variety of healthy role models, which is why I was pro-male teachers in schools in that other thread, think that was in the Education forum. Woo TSR rocks! :biggrin:
RightSaidJames
It is still not the same thing though. In the terms of a period drama or a hospital drama set in the early 1900s, it is of no relevance what race the characters are, but with a historically relevant artwork (such as a Nazi war film, a film about Zulu tribesmen or Martin Luther King) the race of the actors is relevant.

What? Of course its relevant if your saying the colour of the actors doesnt matter then why not film the whole show in jeans and t-shirts after all if your throwing out one kind of authenticity you might as well throw out everything. After all if its doesnt matter why spend all that money on those outfits

If thats the case why not jaye jacobs to play the next jane eyre?
FyreFight
It's not really multiculturalism; culturally they're all white people in coloured skin. I can't think of a single minority person on children's TV who openly displayed any sort of diverse cultural values or beliefs on-air.

yeah i can just see an asian presenter of CBBs sitting there in full niqab and hijab at 7.30 in the morning or how about getting sidney to do a rap about shooting people (to fill out a negative sterotype). The BBC is making it so that more ethnic minorities are on thier shows and your complaing that they act too white?

no pleasing some people is there?
naelse
I don't understand why you are all so indignant. The job advert that the OP is referring to clearly states that this particular role is for people from disadvantaged backgrounds...

I AM NOT THE OP! Get it right for once would you. Can people on this thread not read or something! I am not responsible for this thread, I have merely taken an interest in offering my viewpoint.
The time where affirmative action actually had any benefits is gone. Long gone.
josie_bear2003
What is it with people on this thread thinking I've said things I haven't! I have not said anything about 'positive discrimination'. I believe this was another user, so how could I possibly have 'swallowed' something that I made no mention of. By the way, I really hope you do not believe that somebody can literally 'swallow' a tabloid idea and you are in fact personifying the situation (hypodermic syringe theory and all that).

I am not 'blaming ethnic minorities' for my situation, I am merely pointing out what criteria the BBC are looking for in their journalism trainee scheme - quoting exactly what they have written on their FAQs section of the application process - if you wish to check this here you go http://www.bbc.co.uk/jobs/jts/faq.shtml . I therefore don't see how this makes me 'bigoted' when all I have done is explain what many companies say they are looking for in their job advertisements.

At your age I was very much like you...defender of all race and religions. Then my eyes were opened to reality. Quite 'frankly' (to quote your use of language) I take offence at being called a bigot. If you can disprove any of what I have said in response to your post, I will be happy to discuss this with you.

I know you are frustrated, but why are you focusing SO MUCH ENERGY on ONE scheme that was designed for ethnic minorities without prior involvement in broadcasting? You could be black as anything, but if you have the same qualification you have now, you wouldn't have gotten it anyway. It's akin a guy moaning about having to pay for drinks at a club's ladies' night.
Fusion
And if you were white and working class you would be ****** by positive discrimination. It doesn't beneifit you because typically it doesn't effect you. Afterall your parents probably bought you a nice education and not forgetting the rest.

If it typically does not affect the middle class whites, because they have the means to obtain a better education for themselves, then obviously removing the supposed "positive discrimination" would still not improve the chances of those from the working class.
xxxchrisxxx
I know you are frustrated, but why are you focusing SO MUCH ENERGY on ONE scheme that was designed for ethnic minorities without prior involvement in broadcasting? You could be black as anything, but if you have the same qualification you have now, you wouldn't have gotten it anyway. It's akin a guy moaning about having to pay for drinks at a club's ladies' night.

I was thinking that, isn't it a journalism training course? So surely if she has a first class journalism degree that would make her exempt whatever her colour?
Reply 113
JointVenture
I was thinking that, isn't it a journalism training course? So surely if she has a first class journalism degree that would make her exempt whatever her colour?

Nail. Hit. Head.

/thread
Can I have your source please?

I find that there are more white people than racial minorities actually :smile:
josie_bear2003
being white and having a first class journalism degree, I'm out!

If you were Black/Asian and had a first class journalism degree you would also be out.

What is your point?
Reply 116
The more we think about race relations the more racist we get.
Reply 117
silverbolt
yeah i can just see an asian presenter of CBBs sitting there in full niqab and hijab at 7.30 in the morning or how about getting sidney to do a rap about shooting people (to fill out a negative sterotype). The BBC is making it so that more ethnic minorities are on thier shows and your complaing that they act too white?

no pleasing some people is there?

The point FyreFight is making is that your average british black and white person have similar lifestyles but apparently hiring a black person enriches cultural diversity
SomeNextPirate
If you were Black/Asian and had a first class journalism degree you would also be out.

What is your point?

I was thinking this. I suppose it would be quite harsh if she was white and had no experience though.
Wren
It does exist. Gloucestershire police were found guilty of it not so long ago, they had been completely disregarding any white males going for interview despite some of them being better qualified.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article647292.ece

Oooo didn't know this and im from Gloucestershire lol

Ta for posting, will help me out with my Criminology studies. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending