The Student Room Group
Sounds like Empiricism to me. I would love to be able to help but this is soooo last year and I have my own Philosophy essay about Substance Dualism to be writing.
Reply 2
Norfolkadam
Sounds like Empiricism to me. I would love to be able to help but this is soooo last year and I have my own Philosophy essay about Substance Dualism to be writing.

Good luck.
:smile:
dolly-x-girl
Has anyone got any ideas on the view that knowledge is acquired via and justified by sense experience?
Any help is much appreciated with my essay.
:smile: Cheers.

Ummm...hopefully this helps

- we cannot deny that we are having sense experiences because our knowledge sense data is immediate and therefore incorrigible.
- On this basis, we infer the existence of the physical world so our knowledge of the physical world is ultimately justified.

However, here are some criticisms:
- our senses sometimes deceive us - e.g. pencil in water looks bent etc.
- leads to solipsism- all I am certain of is my own sense experience, so I cannot be sure that other minds apart from my own exist
- we can only be sure of our sense experience in the moment, knowledge of the past and the future must be inferred and so is not indubitable

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 4
Basically use empiricism as a "for" argument, and rationalism as an "against" to contrast this.

Then come up with your own interpretation as a conclusion.
Reply 5
Thank you! :smile:

Latest