The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Absolutely, took for ever and got my last choice.
University of York
York
Reply 2
it's the same everywhere. it's not an easy job allocating all the accommodation.
same at reading, only so many places and a bulk a freshers. They cant make everyone happy
Reply 4
What was bad about it? (someone who got Alcuin...)
It was just as quick as Bath was.
Reply 5
Quady
What was bad about it? (someone who got Alcuin...)
It was just as quick as Bath was.

Aren't you lucky I know loads of people who are still waiting for stuff.
Reply 6
It's not normally this bad. I would assume the added workload is that people are now allowed to rank their favourite colleges, which has caused unforeseen delays.
Reply 7
What difference does the timing make so long as you get it before arrival? :s-smilie:
This is the same everywhere though :s-smilie:
I'm in London and got my accommodation 2 days before I started...
-Em-
What difference does the timing make so long as you get it before arrival? :s-smilie:

Its the uncertainty. Not helped by the fact York starts so late, so as peoples friends are in their accommodation and you don't know makes it seem like you should.
Reply 10
-Em-

Travel plans for one. Do you need to come down on the 11th 12th. That's a very big deal if your coming by car and you live a long way away.
Reply 11
to be honest, saying you 'feel let down by York' two weeks before you even arrive based on the fact that you don't know the name of the college in which you'll be living is a little extreme.
I'm sure it'd be nice to know, but it's not exactly the end of the world, and you will have somewhere to stay...
Reply 12
Ecno
Travel plans for one. Do you need to come down on the 11th 12th. That's a very big deal if your coming by car and you live a long way away.

Despite what it says on the letter, you can arrive on either day. Though if you can you should keep to your allotted day since the effect of every first-year coming to campus at the same time are pretty obvious.
Reply 13
Dez
Despite what it says on the letter, you can arrive on either day. Though if you can you should keep to your allotted day since the effect of every first-year coming to campus at the same time are pretty obvious.

I know someone who got in James but already booked her train from France for the 11th and she's not allowed to move in on the 11th and has to book a hotel for the night.

It sucks to receive accom so short before the start of term because you can't plan it all. I mean, there's nothing to plan about a 2hr drive, but a flight and a train ride together do need some planning and it would be nice to know when to arrive exactly.

But it's obviously not something to feel 'let down' about.
Reply 14
Its the same everywhere, my friend going to Exeter applied, got his place and accomodation really really early, and then got told he'll have to share. Everywhere has problems - such a big job i suppose
Reply 15
Solya
I know someone who got in James but already booked her train from France for the 11th and she's not allowed to move in on the 11th and has to book a hotel for the night.

It sucks to receive accom so short before the start of term because you can't plan it all. I mean, there's nothing to plan about a 2hr drive, but a flight and a train ride together do need some planning and it would be nice to know when to arrive exactly.

But it's obviously not something to feel 'let down' about.

International students are allowed to arrive up to a week before I thought? Has she spoken with Goodricke porters about this?
Reply 16
Dez
International students are allowed to arrive up to a week before I thought? Has she spoken with Goodricke porters about this?

She's not attending the orientation programme. She told me she called them (the college admin I guess) and they said she can only move in on the 12th. It's weird because I'm in the same situation for Derwent (journey booked for 11th), and they let me move in earlier.
Reply 17
Worked great for me, got my first (read only) accommodation choice about a month after I applied. I think the more choices you put the more chance you have of not being allocated your top choice.

My choices were

Vanbrugh - En-suite 33
Vanbrugh - En-suite 38
Vanbrugh - Standard 38

:biggrin:
No, I don't feel let down at all. I didn't get my first choice but don't care as it worked out really well for me anyway. I found out which college I was in about 5-6 weeks after I sent in my application, which is not that long.
Reply 19
Well I feel pretty let down. It looks like I won't even be living on campus. I got an email from the accommodation office today and it says that I am one of a number of students who applied for accommodation within the deadline period but who they have not yet been able to allocate accommodation.

They are apparently trying to identify suitable properties close to the University for them to rent and then let to groups of first year students.

Great.

Latest

Trending

Trending