The Student Room Group

St And are discontinuing my desired course (Social Anth w/Ling), and now?

Good afternoon everybody!

Over the last year I always wanted to apply for Social Anthropology with Linguistics in St Andrews. Now I was just filling out my UCAS forms and have noticed that the course is not longer available. On request the guys from the admission office have confirmed me that they have decided to scrap the linguistics courses altogether after publishing the prospectus... great!

So, now? I've been to St Andrews and the place is so lovely, the uni is great as well and it's exatly the right size for me.. so I was really looking forward to going there.. The pitty though is that now there aren't that many subjects I would want to study there any more. I'm really into Linguistics and although I like the anthropological sciences, that alone wouldn't keep me motivated enough to study as hard as I can I'm afraid. I would still be very interested in a joint MA (Hon) English and Social Anthropology though, but I just reckon my chances for that are so minimalistic... I have a German Abitur with 1,9 and two Awards for exceptional achievments, but the 1,9 only equates to a IB of 36.5, which is hardly above what they are asking for for English.. And, well... in English at school I wasn't really that good, with only 8/15 points on average (even though my final module was 11/15 and the final exam 9/15). I passed a CAE with grade A three months later when I moved to London where I still reside... so, in fact, my English is not that poor really. But, would it be sufficient? What do you think?

Elsewise, can you think of any alternatives? I'm really feeling bad right now, because that'll also have effects on the personal statement I'll have to write and I'm still gonna apply for other unis I guess.. I mean, I am having a backup in Germany already and so planned to only go high risk here, but St Andrews really was and is my favourite institution... grrh.. what should I do? :no:
Edinburgh has Linguistics and Social Anthropology, which is 50% of each subject, whereas the St Andrews one is 66% Anthropology to 33% Linguisitcs. At least, it was when I applied 3 years ago and seeing as you've said its a 'with' course, this will still be the case.

I'm in my 3rd year of Linguistics and Social Anthropology in Edinburgh and I love it. I chose here over St Andrews- I got an offer there too- because I wanted a bigger city environment, and as the course was 50/50. You might find this more appealing too if you're interested in linguistics. Although its not St Andrews, its still Scotland and is one of the ancient universities. Yes we don't quite have as many traditions here, and its a bigger community, but we still have a sea, and we have the castle and all of the other pretty things St Andrews will have too.

But I guess if you're set on St Andrews then you could apply for the English course and see what happens. I'd check that you can do linguistics based stuff, as it might be mostly literature, which may not interest you as much. I'd definitley apply to Edinburgh if you're not thinking about it already, as they offer a really good course and its very similar to what St Andrews was offering.

Latest

Trending

Trending