The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes, almost all Maths applicants will and some other subjects

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/STEP
Reply 2
Thank you!
It might be worth pointing out that about 50% of maths candidates do not meet the STEP conditions of their offer.
Reply 4
Good bloke
It might be worth pointing out that about 50% of maths candidates do not meet the STEP conditions of their offer.

But even then some of them are accepted in anyway
SimonM
But even then some of them are accepted in anyway

Yes, but they have lost control over their destiny and are dependent on the goodwill of the admissions tutors. In a year in which more candidates did well in STEP they wouldn't get in.
Reply 6
Good bloke
Yes, but they have lost control over their destiny

Are any of us really in control?

Back to the point, Good bloke makes an important point, STEP requires training
SimonM
STEP requires training

Life is far too short to be spent training for an exam. If you're destined to study in Cambridge, you'll do so whether you 'train' for STEP or not.
angelafleming
Life is far too short to be spent training for an exam. If you're destined to study in Cambridge, you'll do so whether you 'train' for STEP or not.

You won't be successful in life without effort. STEP definitely requires effort.
Reply 9
angelafleming

I don't think you could be more wrong. There are people who have the potential and mathematical ability to be in Cambridge, but STEP is something which does need a lot of familiarisation and practice. I remember Billy [Generalebriety] saying that he easily got an S,S in his STEP because of his practice, but without it, he wouldn't have nearly done as well.

"Training" is usually essential for STEP and that's what you have to do [call it a bane if you will, but I'm sure others will beg to differ] if you want a place at Cambridge.
n1r4v
I don't think you could be more wrong. There are people who have the potential and mathematical ability to be in Cambridge, but STEP is something which does need a lot of familiarisation and practice. I remember Billy [Generalebriety] saying that he easily got an S,S in his STEP because of his practice, but without it, he wouldn't have nearly done as well.

"Training" is usually essential for STEP and that's what you have to do [call it a bane if you will, but I'm sure others will beg to differ] if you want a place at Cambridge.

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'training'. If it involves self-study, working through problems at your own pace, then it's fine. But if it involves going for a prep course with tight schedules, it's probably not a good idea.
And the majority of offers are based on STEP II/III, rather than I/II.
angelafleming

what an idiotic comment.

have you ever even looked at a STEP III paper for example?

thats like saying if you are desitined to go to university you dont need to "train" for a levels.
Reply 13
Daniel Freedman
You won't be successful in life without effort. STEP definitely requires effort.

even with effort people fail, I thought some people I knew would definetly get into cambridge because they were so smart but STEP for them was overkill. I felt so sorry for them when they didnt manage to pass.
angelafleming
I guess it depends on what you mean by 'training'. If it involves self-study, working through problems at your own pace, then it's fine. But if it involves going for a prep course with tight schedules, it's probably not a good idea.

I think you're getting slightly confused- STEP isn't an admissions test given at interview- it's an exam you take with A-levels, and you certainly need to work towards it. Cambridge actually run an easter prep course for STEP for state school pupils who wouldn't receive any tuition on their own.
Reply 15
angelafleming

That is training by most people's definition

Latest

Trending

Trending