The Student Room Group

665 Ukcat average, should i apply to both Kings and Barts? Thanks

hey guys

Iv read through everything that i can about the UKCAT, and still there seems to be many different views, i was hoping someone could help clear things up.

i got 665 average in the UKCAT, (620,730,620,690)

what i wantd to know is, with that score should i apply to both, Kings and Barts (queen marys)??
Or would that be silly cos in most circumstances, ppl who actually get into these two uni have much better ukcats? i would much prefer to have some choices to be able to stay in london, but i dnt wana ruin my chances of getting in, when i might be accpeted by others

If only apply to one which 1 is more relaxed on ukcat?

I am currently on a gap year, done 3 bits of work experiance related to med

and my A level results
physics: A
chem: A
bio: A

AS in maths: A

gcses not so great
1.5 A*'s
5 A's
4 B's
1 C

all input really appreciated!

:biggrin:

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
your UKCAT wont let you down
Apply where you want :smile: I am applying to both with similar grades and such lol (very similar in fact lol)
Reply 3
I've got 680 and I'm applying also applying to both. I think if the rest of your application is strong enough, which it is, at least gradewise, then you shouldn't be worried much... about the UKCAT I mean.
i've got my UKCAT in about 1 weeks time and even though i've bought the book i havn't actually read through it yet because i've been busy with my driving test, college work and such. I better get a move on!
Reply 5
What is your C grade GCSE in?
i know that to apply to Bristol and Liverpool you don't actually need to have done the UKCAT. Anyhow, what you got is what most people who take the test got so there should be no problem applying to the universities you want to provided you get high A level grades.
Reply 7
thank you so much for you replys and so quick!
very impressed!

oh thats good news on other forums, i had read that barts this year will probs was 700 average in ukcat :O

and i herd kings is also very tough on ukcat

but again thanks for the replies, what lovely bunch lol :P
Reply 8
my C was in french. A in maths, B in eng lan, A in english lit

i also got a D in persian but i didnt write it on my ucas, believe it or nt with that score, i actually am bilingual
Reply 9
italianstallion, as for revising there nt that much to revise, id say do the online tests and understand, y the answer is what it is

the test is tight for time!! i skipped anything that looked remotely long.

good luck
Reply 10
sam854
my C was in french. A in maths, B in eng lan, A in english lit

i also got a D in persian but i didnt write it on my ucas, believe it or nt with that score, i actually am bilingual

Kewl - so long as it's not your maths, Eng or science you should be ok.

HOWEVER, not disclosing your Persian could catch up with you. UCAS do do spot checks on X number of forms, which go one of two ways if you've omitted something: they just add it to your form, leaving you with a grade you wish wasn't known and not knowing it is now on your form OR UCAS could withdraw your application...
Reply 11
sam854

oh thats good news on other forums, i had read that barts this year will probs was 700 average in ukcat :O

I doubt it - that's almost 100 more than the last 2 years, and with our requirements going up to AAAb this year...
Reply 12
that a bit extreeme anit it to withdrawmy app im not lying, its a pass grade in an extra subject, alot of ppl would see it as a benifit, i jst dnt like the sound of it 'D'. lol
i dnt really mind if they do see if jst prefer if they didnt, plus i wernt learnt in school or anything it was extra

but might have to add it, lol
Fluffy
I doubt it - that's almost 100 more than the last 2 years, and with our requirements going up to AAAb this year...

I heard there was no cut off this year probably because of the requirements going up?
Reply 14
see thats the thing so many rumours are going around, no1 knows the truth anymore! :angry:

lol
haha well in the end I'm applying to both because I like them both :biggrin:

I reckon with your UKCAT average you should be fine, your grades are definitely good enough so it's all down to how you present yourself on your PS and interview with your work exp and extra curriculars and such

Of course if you don't apply to both there would be less competition for me but that shouldn't play a part in you deciding :p:
Reply 16
FFCrusader
I heard there was no cut off this year probably because of the requirements going up?

I've not heard that, and am fairly close to people in The Student Office... Who knows though - last thing I heard was there would be a cut off, but not a rigid one, and they were gonna invite the top 950 scorers (with score coming from UKCAT and application form) to interview
Reply 17
hahah joker
thats funny but i doubt id b the reason u dnt get in, im sure ud b fine 2 dude!
Reply 18
sam854
that a bit extreeme anit it to withdrawmy app im not lying, its a pass grade in an extra subject, alot of ppl would see it as a benifit, i jst dnt like the sound of it 'D'. lol
i dnt really mind if they do see if jst prefer if they didnt, plus i wernt learnt in school or anything it was extra

but might have to add it, lol

It is seen as akin to lying - knowing omission is never a good thing, you never know when it's going to bite you on the bum.
Reply 19
Fluffy
I've not heard that, and am fairly close to people in The Student Office... Who knows though - last thing I heard was there would be a cut off, but not a rigid one, and they were gonna invite the top 950 scorers (with score coming from UKCAT and application form) to interview

see thats what i ment, i didnt think id be in the top 950, i hope i dnt sound annoying, lol
i jst dnt wana waste a uni place on ucas
again i am very greatful for all your replys believe it or nt u r helping alot
:cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending