The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What´s so great about the May Balls? They just sound like very expensive formal parties O_O
Reply 21
lucygettings
What´s so great about the May Balls? They just sound like very expensive formal parties O_O

They're great if you go with the right people - a good group of friends or your boyfriend/girlfriend. You get what you pay for, and the sheer volume of things to do and eat in Trinity (and John's appparently, though I haven't been myself yet) really is an experience not to be missed. There were so many performances I wanted to see (and all kind of stuff really, from shakespeare to classical music to acrobatic rock'n'roll to a hypnotist the wombats), food I wanted to taste, and really big fireworks. All this in a really out-of-this world atmosphere. Very decadent, but not just for the sake of it, because it's before all extremely good entertainment. After Cambridge, you probably won't go to another party like that.

That said, I think that while the high-end balls (eg: Trinity and John's) really are worth going to at least once, the cheaper ones are worth skipping (except of course your college ball, because it's really cool to see it transformed). For example, I think that Trinity was a good value whereas Churchill, though fun, wasn't really worth the £60.
Reply 22
Arrogant Git
Surely be at Girton.

God, walked there from Churchill last week to help a friend carry luggage there. MY GOD I'M NEVER DOING THAT AGAIN.
Reply 23
Well, luckily for us, we don't generally walk to lectures carrying heavy luggage. Or even walk to lectures at all :wink:

Also... sorry to say that but you could just have walked through New Hall, there's a bus stop just in front of it with buses to Girton every 10min...
Reply 24
Miam!
Well, luckily for us, we don't generally walk to lectures carrying heavy luggage. Or even walk to lectures at all :wink:

Also... sorry to say that but you could just have walked through New Hall, there's a bus stop just in front of it with buses to Girton every 10min...

Yes, I actually took the bus back, which took me all of 5 minutes down Huntingdon road and through the Murr-Eds pass -_-. Doesn't give me back the 50 minutes it took us to find our way there though... I thought it would be 20 and kept thinking 'almost there... we've walked so far, it must be just over that hilll....'.
Reply 25
I think I've done most of them in my time. :biggrin:
Reply 26
priya

DEFINITELY eat curry on Mill Road

^^
Read a book in a corner of Kettle's Yard art gallery.
Lie on the floor of King's College Chapel and appreciate the ceiling.
Walk along the river as far as you can in both directions.
Visit the Wren library at Trinity.
Have a picnic in the Botanical Gardens
Go to the antique shops in Ely.
Go to Clare Comedy.
See in the New Year from the top of Castle Hill.
Have a cup of tea in CB1 on Mill Road.
Go to the top of the UL tower (and tell me how you managed!)
Reply 28
Visit Selwyn college.
Reply 29
i think everyone should visit my wonderful college homerton!!!! but wait, i think you'd all get heart attacks from walking that far :p:
Reply 30
Well at least i am already at Girton, lol, so I have done that automatically!
brimstone
Visit Selwyn college.

:cool: and the gardens particularly!
scarlet ibis
Read a book in a corner of Kettle's Yard art gallery.
QUOTE]
Oh c'mon how dull is Kettle's Yard! As much as I like reading, any patch of grass on a cloudy day could provide more interesting scenery.
Realised that was too forceful, some of the paintings and sculptures are reasonable. But whats with the pebbles arranged in patterns? :no:
Punting, bbqs on J Green, Botanical Gardens, Soul Tree and Cornex, even the Junction are all musts.
Can't comment on the actual University events being currently only a humble young townie :rolleyes:
Libby Lemon

Oh c'mon how dull is Kettle's Yard! As much as I like reading, any patch of grass on a cloudy day could provide more interesting scenery.
Realised that was too forceful, some of the paintings and sculptures are reasonable. But whats with the pebbles arranged in patterns? :no:

:eek: I love Kettle's Yard :hmmm: Especially the pebbles.

Latest

Trending

Trending