The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

catbee
Well, someone has worn it, so its quite obviously not new...:rolleyes:

I'm sure if you read most store return policies, they will state that the items need to be in an unworn condition, with tags attached.

I know I'd be pretty hacked off if I bought something that someone else had worn, and Im sure Im not alone in that thought.

Sorry but shops will put exchanges straight back on the shelf if they are in good condition - i imagine they will only take the clothing back if it looks in good enough condition to be re-sold.
minimo
if you don't have a receipt a credit card/debit card statement could also work the trick.

does that really work in shops?

Where I work no receipt= No money back, just vouchers to spend in the store. (or are you just talking about getting an exchange?)

OP, they should take it back without tags, as it can still be resold. And provided it looks in a brand new condition then they shouldn't have any qualms about taking it back.
Reply 22
randomgirl
does that really work in shops?

Where I work no receipt= No money back, just vouchers to spend in the store. (or are you just talking about getting an exchange?)

OP, they should take it back without tags, as it can still be resold. And provided it looks in a brand new condition then they shouldn't have any qualms about taking it back.

I've never tried it but ppl on tsr always seem to suggest it. I never return something without receipt and tags.
Reply 23
Not having the tags attached is not a problem as you can often end up buying clothes which don't have tags.
Reply 24
hippieglitter
I work in a store, nowhere does it say unworn. It just says saleable condition and an item can still be in saleable condition after one or even two wearings. The item having been worn does not make it un-saleable and the next buyer is not going to know that it has been worn once or twice as long as it is clean and without fault. Most refunds that we get back tend to have been worn otherwise how would the person know there is problem?

Ok, so is it not misleading for the store to be selling something as new, when its been worn 'once or twice', therefore is quite clearly not new?

Maybe I just have higher standards than you, given that you think that its perfectly accetable to sell something as new when it quite clearly isnt, but I know I would be pretty angry if I had paid full price for an item that someone else had worn even if it is just 'once or twice'....whether its in a 'saleable' condition or not.

P.S Who do you work for? Just to make sure I never shop there, you know, incase I get someones sloppy seconds....:rolleyes:
Rian1988
Not having the tags attached is not a problem as you can often end up buying clothes which don't have tags.

In which case, you should always ask the assistant to write on your receipt 'No tag at time of purchase' or somesuch, I always do this for customers because we don't accept refunds with no tags. We do accept them for exchanges though..mainly because everyone can do exchanges but only 5 or 6 are authorised to do refunds.

You can generally tell is something is a return though, creases would be a major sign.
catbee
Ok, so is it not misleading for the store to be selling something as new, when its been worn 'once or twice', therefore is quite clearly not new?

Maybe I just have higher standards than you, given that you think that its perfectly accetable to sell something as new when it quite clearly isnt, but I know I would be pretty angry if I had paid full price for an item that someone else had worn even if it is just 'once or twice'....whether its in a 'saleable' condition or not.

P.S Who do you work for? Just to make sure I never shop there, you know, incase I get someones sloppy seconds....:rolleyes:

Perhaps you shouldn't shop anywhere? I suppose most of the clothes you own have been worn by at least one person before in the changing rooms. You don't have higher standards, you're just a fussy bitch.
catbee

Its hardly just my shop. Every shop does it. You've probably bought 'sloppy seconds' as you put it hundreds of time before you just didn't know, so why bother being fussy now you do know. Also 'quite clearly not new' implies that you can tell it has been worn so is not saleable condition.
I'm pretty sure that wearing it to a supermarket won't make much difference to the garmet compared to hundreds of people trying it on in a shop before people buy it. As long as it looks good enough to be sold then it should be fine.
Reply 29
catbee

Have you ever worked in a clothes shop before? All sorts of people will have tried on practically every piece of clothing you have bought, prior to you purchasing it. Some of these people will not be very hygenic. Some of these people will chuck it on the floor after they have tried it on, perhaps trampling on it in the process. Someone may have bought an item, returned it, and then you've bought it. How would you ever know?

Reply 30
I bought a dress from French Connection (thankfully not too expensive) yesterday and didn't notice the sales assistant had taken off all the tags at the counter until I got home. Why would she do that?! Although I still have the receipt, I'm not sure if they'll accept a refund if I want to return the dress :-/
Tags fall off quite often, should be fine with receipt
Reply 32
It'll be fine without the tags, it'll have a code they can put through the till on the tag inside/receipt. They do where I work anywhere haha.
As long as it doesn't look obvioulsy worn the sales assistant probably won't even know you've worn it.
whykt
I bought a dress from French Connection (thankfully not too expensive) yesterday and didn't notice the sales assistant had taken off all the tags at the counter until I got home. Why would she do that?! Although I still have the receipt, I'm not sure if they'll accept a refund if I want to return the dress :-/

Tell them that... plus especially seen as it's a decent brand they should live by "the customer is always right" and refund you if you say the assistant took off the tags.
they normally let you exchange but not return it for money so you should be fine !
whykt

FCUK dont allow refunds it says that on the counter x
However, nearly every item in the store has been tried on therefore if has already been worn by nemuros amounts of customers. Weather they decided to buy it or not, most clothing items have been worn for a various amount of moments weather it was one minute or five.
Original post by Clking998
However, nearly every item in the store has been tried on therefore if has already been worn by nemuros amounts of customers. Weather they decided to buy it or not, most clothing items have been worn for a various amount of moments weather it was one minute or five.

Hi,

Just to give you the heads up, it's not advisable to reply to thread that is 8 years old. It is best to look for more recent threads, less than 6 months old.

On the topic, most shops should exchange or refund so long as they are in good condition and not soiled/damaged etc.

Latest