The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Won't Get Back To Me!

I don't understand, I emailed them four weeks ago and still haven't got a reply! I then found a local phone number for the local centre and after a few calls I finally got in touch with someone, but she didn't even know what she was talking about, she hadn't even heard of the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme! After 5 minutes of me explaining I would be interested in volunteering she said that she'll contact me through email, so I gave it to her and it's been two weeks now. So, I then went down to the actual centre, but it's always closed! How are you supposed to get in contact with these guys? I'm not sure this is a suitable forum to post this in, but my reason for joining is medical related as well as something to get me out the house!

Current impression, St.John's Ambulance = :woo:
Reply 1

Very accurate, aspecially when it comes to admin. Obviously your local branch is not particulary desperate for volunteers at the moment.

I am not suprised that they haven't heard about DEA. Unless you were to speak with youth worker st john people are not involved with it in any way. I am assuming that you are under 18 and will be joining cadets. If so I would call again and ask for a direct phone number for youth team/cadet leader.
They should be more helpful.
I was going to try and volunteer with them during the summer holidays... Doesn't look too promising thus far then..
Reply 3
Failed123
I don't understand, I emailed them four weeks ago and still haven't got a reply! I then found a local phone number for the local centre and after a few calls I finally got in touch with someone, but she didn't even know what she was talking about, she hadn't even heard of the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme! After 5 minutes of me explaining I would be interested in volunteering she said that she'll contact me through email, so I gave it to her and it's been two weeks now. So, I then went down to the actual centre, but it's always closed! How are you supposed to get in contact with these guys? I'm not sure this is a suitable forum to post this in, but my reason for joining is medical related as well as something to get me out the house!

yeah. some units are pretty disorganised. mine's going downhill at the minute because our unit officer's just resigned, and it's pretty much a shambles. i'd agree with the person who said that it's not that odd they haven't heard of DofE - do you want to join cadets, or the adult unit? because probably only youth leaders will have heard of it. what county are you in? in might be best to contact your county HQ, if you haven't already...they could find you a different unit, perhaps? did you go down at the time they meet at?
you've probably tried all this stuff but...i dunno. there are some units which are fab, and some which are just...a mess. so probably the best bet would be to find another one...it is good when you get into it, it's just the organising that's not the easiest.
they got back to me but i think im too young, i think you have to be 18
Reply 5
ElvisAint-Dead

wat...surely that can't be the case!
Reply 6
ElvisAint-Dead

Nah, you can do adult volunteering from 16, and do duties and stuff...and you can be a cadet from way younger.
jenifaar
Nah, you can do adult volunteering from 16, and do duties and stuff...and you can be a cadet from way younger.

oh right, i guess i mis-read it
ElvisAint-Dead
oh right, i guess i mis-read it

no - it's entirely up to the division you join whether a 16 or 17 year old is part of the adult or cadet division. But most would put a 16 year old in the adult - like mine!:yep:
Reply 9
My local one were like that. Every meeting was a mess. I got bored and gave up. I couldn't see any particular benefits of going. Bit of a waste of time. Once had some very basic first aid training, but they teach you that at med school anyway.
ElvisAint-Dead

under 16s should be put in touch with the youth team and a cadet unit,

16 -18s while cadets for admin purposes can attend 'adult' units and access 'adult' first aid training.

another thing to add is not every county has anyone on the paid staff to deal with volunteering enquiries ... if this relies on a volunter to get back in touch with people ... vicious blooming circle

however trying to pick SJA up as CV booster to get into a Healthcare course can be very much a two edged sword, especially if anyone to do with the course is a SJA volunteer ...
Reply 11
I had a similar problem, I applied at the begining of the summer, and heard nothing. Then I received an email a few weeks ago asking what I thought of how my application was handled... and it is a load of rubbish! Urgh!
Reply 12
Kerjagga
I had a similar problem, I applied at the begining of the summer, and heard nothing. Then I received an email a few weeks ago asking what I thought of how my application was handled... and it is a load of rubbish! Urgh!

The first time I phoned, I left a message asking specifically what I needed to know in order to join, and she got back to me and told me to ring back on voicemail, and there went my 25p. I still don't understand why she could have just told me the information then!

I might wait until March time, till I'm 16, but still it doesn't look good. Shame.
Reply 13
If anyone is interested in joining, feel free to contact me and I can give you contact details of your local division...or even contact them for you.

Its worrying indeed to hear that divisions have a probelm getting back. You should normally hear within a week, and I will bring this up at the next meeting.

And don't feel worried to join (at any age)...we are all rather nice. Well, that is until you get to those who make important decisions haha.
Reply 14
omg i was in that position this time last year......basically they give out all the details in thier requrmnet in january so just wait untill then go to the signingv on day then your sorted so yeah just wait till january!!
Reply 15
go down there, smash some windows, and leave a note with your name and contact details... i guarantee they will call you back!

either that or like someone else mentioned find out what time they meet (call them up again to find out) and go down at that time. they run such a wide-spread operation im sure they can never have too many volunteers.

Latest

Trending

Trending