The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Without having Economics and F.Maths A levels, do i have any chance?

Hello, i was wondering if it is a bad idea to apply for Economics or Maths and Econ in LSE without having econ nor f.maths for my A-level. My school does not provide economics nor further maths.

I've heard and checked that it's not the mandatory requirement, but it seems most of successful applicants had studied economics and f.maths for their A-level. If somehow my reference can explain my situation, will it be okay?:s-smilie:

My A-Levels are: Chinese (already taken and got an A), Spanish (Predicted A), Maths (Predicted A), Physics (Predicted A)
+ 1 AS-Level which is History (taking the exam in 2009.)

Thank you!
Reply 1
If your school doesn't provide it, theres nothing you can do. It's good that you picked maths & pshyics though.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
They aren't formal requirements because they don't want to discriminate against schools which do not offer them.

It'll be trickier to word a PS about how much you love economics without having studied it, though.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies. :biggrin:
I actually thought about self-teaching F.Maths, but my school teachers did not recommended me to do so. Not because of the difficulty of it, but they rather recommended me to concentrate on the A-levels that i'm currently doing.

Well, i will try my best for the application!
Reply 4
its fine really, since your school doesnt offer them, theres not that much you could do (unless you self teach like others have said). also, i have a friend who just started at LSE a few days ago doing maths and econ and he did double maths a level, no econ though. so yeah, go for it :smile:
Reply 5
Well they said today in the first econ B lecture that less than half of us had taken econ at A-level. I didn't take further maths and im sure many others didn't so i wouldn't worry to much. You have Physics and Maths which should show you're capable.

I disagree with the guy saying it would be hard to sell yourself in your PS without having studied econ. Just read a few books or use any knowledge you have of the economic/financial world. If you're determined and passionate about studying economics I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

Latest

Trending

Trending