Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how many hours of independent study do you do for each A-level subject per week?

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only subject I really spend a lot of time on is English - I spend hours on each essay. For maths and history I don't do much, but I probably will need to get serious with history soon.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    2-3 per subject.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Last year on my as's i didnt do very much at all. and got DEU. this year im retaking 2 AS'S and doing 1 A2 im doing about 4 hours a night. i have 10 hours of frees a week and about 7 of them i work in. and i do 4 hours on a sunday.

so hopefully i should improve that DEU. lol. im looking for at least BCC the end of this year!
    xx
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh god maybe i should be doing more work. I rarely do any at home at all, i do quite a bit in frees but thats still probably only 6 hours a week, what some of you do per subject!!
    I don't feel like there is tonnes i can do at the moment, well except with the art, should really work harder with that too!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did about 30 minutes per week?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like, nothing outside homework. Even with homework, I set myself goals of how quickly I can get it done. An English essay I can do in about an hour if I concentrate, Law is much, much less - like 10, 20 minutes. And quite often, I do homework for one subject in the lesson before it is due in.

Basically, I actually concentrate in class, and I learn stuff there. If I really want to, I might research a little outside, but not a lot, and it's not actual 'work' - I'll read a legal essay or a report of a psychology experiment, or maybe some more work by the person we're studying for literature. But I'm not revising yet, I don't need to.

I also don't do work in frees. I don't really have anything to do. Me and my boyfriend just go home and .. you know.

(Original post by Jarve99)
    I did none at all, regrettably. Hence only achieving ABC. If you value your future, you will do as much as you can. Take this advice from experience.
    Psh. I did the same last year and got AAAAB(aa) in my AS levels, thank you very much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lately I've been doing about an hour of homework in each of my extra-long frees (I have 2 extra-long frees a week), and about 45 minutes at home in the evenings, but not every evening. I think I did about an hour of homework yesterday, and will probably do the same today if I don't stay exhausted like I am now! Almost all of the homework I ever get is for chemistry and maths - very rarely do I get any for physics or psychology! But I get so much chemistry homework that I often don't have time to finish my maths. But my maths teacher never checks it anyway! :o:

The only time I've actually taught myself new stuff was when I was off ill about a week ago. That probably only took about 10 minutes!

So really I do 0 apart from homework.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We are told to do 5 hours per subject per week not including homework and coursework, but so far I'm doing 0.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably about 3 hours
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    0, including homework
    • 10 followers

None.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol at this thread: lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    None, except when it come to exams.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by italianstallion)
    Rougly. I probably do about 6 hours
    for each a level i do at least 3 or 4, depending on how hard i worked in the lesson.

its not about how much time you put in, its how you use it .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    we have 2 hours of independant study a week.... but we don't actually get set any work.. i only got set work for biology so i only do independant study for bio!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    2-3 hours.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    0 hours but i really should start doing some work i need AAA or AAB...............
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    probably about.. 5/6
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    If that's 1 hour a week then, *hmm* *hmm*
    Spoiler:
    Show
    you're gonna fail

My school embeds it in our brains that we should do at least 5 hours per subject per week, and that's not even to get an A.

Everyone is different. For AS Levels, I did homeworks of about 2hrs per subject, and none of this 5hrs extra work until revision in Late April / Early May and got 4 A's...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    At college I do 5 hours per week for each subject and
    at home I do about 3-4 hours independent study for each subject per week.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 13, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.