The Student Room Group

is my answer to this application question useless?

Please help me improve this. I am applying for a support worker job (so working with autistic children or maybe adults with psychiatric disorders)

Please summarise your social care skills and experience, employed or voluntary, highlighting any key areas.

Most recently I have been involved in a project in Africa where I assisted in the care and education of children aged 12-17 with severe autism. I supervised activities and games, implemented the children’s Occupational Therapy programmes and worked alongside other professionals such as a Speech Therapist. Similarly, working at a special needs summer scheme with Umbrella enabled me to assist team leaders in the care of children with disabilities, adapt activities to ensure children could participate and enjoy the activity and supervise individuals.
At University I was a committed member of Nightline for two years where I answered telephone calls from students regarding a wide range of issues including eating disorders, depression, self harm, education and disabilities. Part-time mentoring allowed me to work alongside adolescents who had learning difficulties. This involved helping them prepare for their SATS, involved dealing with academic problems, time-management and supervision of activities devised to improve literacy and numeracy skills.
In addition I have worked at nursing and residential home where I assisted in some basic care of the elderly people.
( I dn't know how to elaborate on the last point. I've included it to show i've worked with people other than children..but all I did was basically deliver food to old people and clean up the nursing home)
The main thing that occurs to me when I read that is the lack of detail (not lack of diversity/variety, that seems good). What I mean is that, as someone who has never worked in this area, I would have described the work using the same language as you have. I think as an employer I would be more impressed if you could be one level more technical. For example, is there anything specific like dealing with boredom, or loud noises, or lack of routine that autistic patients need and that you have dealt with? Are you trained to feed patients with specific needs, bed bath, use special therapeutic techniques or anything that is a bit more technical than the average person might be able to describe?

I presume they have asked about qualifications elsewhere, but if not, then any relevant courses or certificates need to be mentioned.
Reply 2
Most recently I have been involved in a project in Africa where I assisted in the care and education of children aged 12-17 with severe autism. I supervised activities and games, implemented the children’s Occupational Therapy programmes and worked alongside other professionals such as a Speech Therapist. Whilst being a teaching assistant I dealt with adolescents who resisted such therapy programmes, encouraged usage of the PECS. encouraged independence by implementing the routines. In addition I drew up many timetables to ensure they felt they had a routine and discouraged socially inappropriate behaviour (e.g public masturbation). I applied alternate techniques used within this particular school such as music classes, judo classes and Jacuzzi sessions which often helped relax students.

is this any better?
Reply 3
*shamelessly bumps thread* I kind of need this help..I really want the job!

Latest

Trending

Trending