The Student Room Group

french AS as external candidate

has anyone had experience of this, and would you recommend it? A local college has an evening class but I haven't enroled before now as the fee was £180, plus I can't guarentee being able to have a babysitter every week. I have the £ now, though the course may be full/too late to start.
I'm dithering because I'm happy to self-teach (I've a tutor of sorts - a french husband) but I realise that I may not be as well prepared as to exactly what the exam requires (eg knowledge of certain topics for written work).
I've bought the AQA French book, that helps, but I've just had a look at the AQA exam spec and must be having a Blond Moment because I'm confused as to the essay topics alternative to coursework. Can anybody help, or is a case of pass the hair dye quick?

Anybody out there sat French as an external candidate?
Reply 1
I've not sat French as an external candidate, but I am for another subject which my school doesn't offer.

I enrolled through the NEC, and occasionally get email from other students taking French via distance learning. Apparently it is very tough, as you need to be able to expose yourself to spoken language to help with your listening as well as practice your speaking. I think that since your husband is French, you would have a huge advantage there - at school I only have contact with one native-French speaker as well. So I don't think you would be too disadvantaged in that respect.

Personally, I would go for it if you enjoy French and want to gain a qualification in it, and definitely if you can get onto the evening class - you will be able to get a lot of support off other people in a similar situation. Otherwise, it all depends on whether you feel you are up to self-studying - as it requires a lot, a lot of effort.

Sorry I can't be of more help in regards to the essay topics - I'm not really all too sure myself at the moment!
Reply 2
Go for it! I'm doing the whole A level in one year at a FE college evening class. I'm kind of an external candidate because I'm taking the old spec unlike the rest of the class and on a different exam board - edxecel. If you put in a lot of effort and watch french tv/ read newspapers/ listen to the radio regularly and up your vocab and get your grammar sorted, I dont see why you would struggle, especially if its only AS. It would obviously be best to go to some lessons at the FE college if you can because that way you can practise your speaking skills, otherwise it is very hard to improve your speaking unless you spend some time in France or another francophone country.
If you want some resources just pm me. Bonne Chance! :smile:
As for the essay topics, I believe that instead of the coursework, the exam in june will have essay-like questions on certain areas of french study such as education/ health and youth issues/ media and publicity etc. Its just about getting lots of vocabulary and information related to this topic in French and putting it together with your opinion to answer the questions. You would usually study these whole topics throughout the year in preparation for the exam, I think. I recommend the Letts AS and A2 study guides for in depth information on topic areas. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-AS-French-Study-Guide/dp/1843154285/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223760460&sr=8-5

Latest