The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yeh aston are taking forever :s-smilie: .... But i didnt know unis dont actually see ur As grades...so they only see ur predicted grades?
Reply 21
Hi

I am a mature student so I have already got my A-Levels, a good few years ago now (I am 29) in Physics, Maths, Biology and General Studies. I got ABBB when I passed them in 1997 so I'm hoping I should be accepted without any problems.

Anyhow, I was looking to go to Cardiff or Aston next September 2009. The other unis that offer Optometry are too far away, I would like to carry on living at home and commute to Cardiff or Aston which are both commutable distance (ish) from where I live. I did wonder if it would be expensive and not very easy to park though and perhaps taking the train would be better? Does anyone know approx costs to park at either of them? I know it's better to probably live on or near the campus but that's not really an option for me so.......

Could anyone tell me that is currently doing their degree at either Cardiff or Aston how many hours a week of lectures, clinics and practicals they attend per week usually and how it is split down across lectures, clinics and practicals? I have read elsewhere on here that it is less than 20 per week say but are these hours spread over every day Monday to Friday? Or is it maybe 3-4 days a week and not every day that lectures/clinics/practicals are held?

During the pre-registration year do you get paid a salary and if so, how much roughly are we talking? I know it must be substantially less than the first year in practice where I have gathered that this first year in practice is around £22,000-£32,000 per year depending on where you work of course-does this sound about right do you think?

What additional courses/degrees or what have you are required to become a consultant optometrist in a hospital does anyone know?

Thanks a lot for any info on this, I appreciate it!

Sorry it's a lot of questions in one go!
Reply 22
*Bump*

Just thought I'd try and get this thread moving again. So, who is starting optometry in September? :p:
Reply 23
yeah, where are you studying?
Reply 24
oh!....
yeah, where are you studying?

Cardiff :smile: how about you?
Has anybody been accepted at City Uni for optom with a GCSE Maths at a below grade C? I was told it was an absolute requirement o have GCSE C ir above.....
Reply 26
Mature girl
Has anybody been accepted at City Uni for optom with a GCSE Maths at a below grade C? I was told it was an absolute requirement o have GCSE C ir above.....

Hi, i'm assuming they would require maths at grade C or above as there is some maths involved in optometry (not sure how much exactly).

Give City uni a call and check with them?

Latest